Why are there so few decent female songwriters?

floogfloog Posts: 981
Forum Member
✭✭
Carole King, Patti Smith, Joni Mitchell, Kate Bush, Bjork (possibly) and then I'm struggling to think of many more; whereas when you think of decent male songwriters the list is virtually endless. Why is this?

Women are supposed to be able to express their emotions better than men which would suggest that they should be better at writing songs. I also don't buy the idea that it's to do with sexism because the very fact that there are some successful female songwriters would suggest thst there are no barriers to women who want to write songs.

Are women just less creative and less imaginative than men in general or is there some other reason for this that I am completely missing?

Comments

• KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Dunno. I suppose men are just more creative and artistic than women.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    floog wrote: »
    Carole King, Patti Smith, Joni Mitchell, Kate Bush, Bjork (possibly) and then I'm struggling to think of many more; whereas when you think of decent male songwriters the list is virtually endless. Why is this?

Women are supposed to be able to express their emotions better than men which would suggest that they should be better at writing songs. I also don't buy the idea that it's to do with sexism because the very fact that there are some successful female songwriters would suggest thst there are no barriers to women who want to write songs.

Are women just less creative and less imaginative than men in general or is there some other reason for this that I am completely missing?

have you not heard of Diane Warren op http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_written_by_Diane_Warren
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Adele
    Madonna
    Debbie Harry
    Ani DiFranco
    Patty Griffin
    Dolly Parton
    Stevie Nicks
    Annie Lennox
    Chrissy Hind
    Joan Baez
    Really, the list is endless
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Carole King makes up for everything else!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...Laura Marling, Annie Lennox, Nina Simone, Beth Orton, Dolly Parton, Carly Simon, Chrissie Hynde, Stevie Nicks, Amy Winehouse, Regina Spektor, P J Harvey, Cyndi Lauper...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...Joan Armatrading, Bonnie Raitt, Tori Amos...
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We could list 100s but the OP would just dismiss them as not being decent (in his/her opinion).
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aimee Mann
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    Don't know. Perhaps the people in the Music Forum might know...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erykah Badu...
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    It the patriachy innit
  • LMLM Posts: 63,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there are much stronger female songwriters than men and there has been since forever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Sia, Mozella, Linda Perry and so on.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sol Seppy
    Kathryn Williams
    Siouxsie Sioux
    Joni Mitchell
    Anna Calvi
    Nina Persson
    Sinead O'Connor
    Rita Lynch
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dunno. I suppose men are just more creative and artistic than women.

Nope, that is shite
  • Under SoulUnder Soul Posts: 2,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say that in the 60s-70s women songwriters with a few exceptions were not taken seriously so yes a bit of sexism. As for today and the small number of successful ones, sadly the most popular music has dumbed down and with the collapse of the album market, not many can make a living. The same applies to male artists too.

But there have been several examples as quoted in this thread.
  • floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    We could list 100s but the OP would just dismiss them as not being decent (in his/her opinion).

Given the other suggestions so far I would agree with you..
  • floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, that is shite

Thanks for your insightful contribution.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KT Tunstall
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nina Simone,
    Mary J Blige,
    Janet Jackson,
    Chaka Khan,
    Missy Elliot,
    Lauryn Hill,
    Toni Braxton,
    Queen Latifah,
    Alicia Keys,
    Nicki Minaj
    Nicola Roberts,
    Amy Winehouse,
    Sheryl Crow,
    Norah Jones,
    Sarah McLachlan
    Emmylou Harris,
    Janis Ian.....

This is easy....
  • denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edie Brickell is a glorious songwriter and her husband isnt to bad himself (paul simon) :)
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Why are there so few decent male pop singers?

I guess there's a balance everywhere.
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amanda Ghost?
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,987
    Forum Member
    I would say there are. Personally i would say Mariah, Mary J. Blige, Alicia Keys, Diane Warren, Miranda Cooper (Xenomania), Pink, Kelly Clarkson are all more than decent songwriters.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Less reason to do so, as a female can also take the path of just being pretty and willing to sing anything. Some young men can do it for teenie girl bands but thats a niche that doesnt always translate to sales as such (outside of Bieber and One Direction who else has a big share in that market? its not an easy one to get into). No one wants to look at some fat middle aged bloke sing love songs to young girls, but female singers can. Its just because women can be objectified to a greater extent (see any female singer from the last 20 years at least), whilst its harder for a man to get into the same position.

I think that results in a two sided problem. Less talented females as they total number is eaten into by those who just want the fame. More record companies are interested in the next Britney Spears or Spice Girls or Girls Aloud etc etc than they are say a Madeleine Peyroux type or a Bjork.

Its not just pop music either, you take any metal band with a female member. Who is in the photos, who is doing the interviews, who is in the "top metal hotties" lists. Its a billion times easier if you have a female in the band, its been a problem with metal for years.

Hip Hop is much the same. Nicki Manij cannot rap. Its not an opinion or my personal taste, she is shit. Their are even better lyricists out their who are female, but they wont get their arse out and grind up poles in music videos. SO we all heard Superbass but no one saw RC-H rapping about being a female in hip hop is devaluing as its just sex appeal.

But their are plenty of talented female writers out their, just that nearly all of them will never gain popular success. Perhaps its for the best, because Simon Cowell would just have them do a duet with Ant and Deck about the power of Coca Cola.
This discussion has been closed.