Should I report corner shop?

BBDefenderBBDefender Posts: 227
Forum Member
Hi,

A bit torn on what to do here so thought I would ask for some DS opinion and advice!

The other day it was very early in the morning and I had no milk. The supermarket was not open at the time so instead I went to the local corner shop. It's not the nicest of places but it does have some fridges with food/milk etc if you are desperate. I purchased a couple of pints of milk and came home.

When I got home I put the milk straight in my fridge. Later that evening I wanted a cup of tea so opened up the milk (it was sealed properly). To my disgust it was completely off. The sell by date was not until the next day.

Given the milk was in date and correctly sealed and I got it to my place within 2 minutes and kept it in the fridge here I have a suspicion said corner shop is not refridgerating its products correctly. I told this story to a friend of mine this morning and before I got even to my suspicions he instantly said "They are trying to save money turning the fridges off at night". I have to say although I have no proof I think this is likely and the place looks and feels a bit grimy as it is. Personally of course I cannot investigate further. I do not want to confront the owners about this myself for various reasons.

My question to you DS is should I report this to the environmental health office of my local council? They stock food and cheeses and stuff in the same fridge in this shop and it is now a worry of mine somebody very young or very old or whoever could become seriously ill eating something rancid from this place. Then again, it is ONLY a suspicion from my off 2 pints of milk. What to do?

Comments

• shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMHO there's other things to worry about than an off bottle of milk . At the very worse take it back to the shop and tell them what happened. Hopefully they will replace the milk or give a refund

Leave it at that
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    Our local big co-op used to be terrible for milk going off before the date. Tbf it could be an issue with their supplier not getting it to them cold enough or it being left out a little too long before being put away. I don't think turning the fridge off at night would save any money. It would use far more energy starting up again each day and getting to temperature than it would save. You should start imo with complaining to the shop.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry but I have to say this......... First world problems!
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If your opinion of that shop was so low in the first place, why bother going to it at all when you didn't want any milk for at least another twelve hours?
    Seems weird to me.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »

Yes, food poisoning is a first world problem...

I don't think you have quite understood the concept.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a job for the Hardy boys...
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I would just never shop there again. I think I would probably feel I should report them, but probably won't.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    delirious.
  • BBDefenderBBDefender Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »

I don't really care that I didn't have milk for x amount of time and drank some off milk before that. I am just a bit worried someone will become ill from rancid unhygienic food if no action is taken.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    This is a case for Jack Black and his dog Silver.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBDefender wrote: »
    My question to you DS is should I report this to the environmental health office of my local council? They stock food and cheeses and stuff in the same fridge in this shop and it is now a worry of mine somebody very young or very old or whoever could become seriously ill eating something rancid from this place. Then again, it is ONLY a suspicion from my off 2 pints of milk. What to do?

No.

1) It's a disproportionate response

2) The milk was in date

3) You can't prove how or where the problem occurred. It could be the shop not storing the milk correctly, or a problem from the dairy, or an issue with the delivery

4) You don't shop there often enough to establish a pattern

5) You're going to waste your time and the Environmental Health Officer's time too on something extremely trivial....... Sh1t happens.... deal with it and, with all due respect, get a life.
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Milk can be prone to 'going off' when outside temperatures are in the 70's as during the past few days and as stated who knows under what conditions or temperature the milk may have been subject to prior to arrival at the shop..

On the other hand owners and staff of shops selling foods including milk have obligations to ensure their premises comply with food storage safety and hygiene regulations and although I wouldn't wish to report the shop in question, should it come to an official inspection then provided they are complying with hygiene regulations they should have nothing to fear from any such visit or inspection.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    Hi,

A bit torn on what to do here so thought I would ask for some DS opinion and advice!

The other day it was very early in the morning and I had no milk. The supermarket was not open at the time so instead I went to the local corner shop. It's not the nicest of places but it does have some fridges with food/milk etc if you are desperate. I purchased a couple of pints of milk and came home.

When I got home I put the milk straight in my fridge. Later that evening I wanted a cup of tea so opened up the milk (it was sealed properly). To my disgust it was completely off. The sell by date was not until the next day.

Given the milk was in date and correctly sealed and I got it to my place within 2 minutes and kept it in the fridge here I have a suspicion said corner shop is not refridgerating its products correctly. I told this story to a friend of mine this morning and before I got even to my suspicions he instantly said "They are trying to save money turning the fridges off at night". I have to say although I have no proof I think this is likely and the place looks and feels a bit grimy as it is. Personally of course I cannot investigate further. I do not want to confront the owners about this myself for various reasons.

Why get it from that shop if you didn't use it till the evening. You could have waited till the other shops had opened!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I thought a shop owner was breaking regulations in a way that could seriously affect my health, e.g. food poisoning, I would report the bugger.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd leave it, because people will just stop buying from there if it's a recurring problem.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Personally I would just never shop there again. I think I would probably feel I should report them, but probably won't.

I once went into a corner shop to buy milk...got home to my little bedsit, opened the pack and more lumps came out than liquid.

I swore I would never use that shop again.

I never have. That was 32 years ago. :)

OP, the only way to respond is with your feet. Walk away and never use them again.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Why get it from that shop if you didn't use it till the evening. You could have waited till the other shops had opened!

Well, yes, precisely...
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's best to just tell them. You can do it in a non-confrontational way, and just 'let them know', that there was a problem with the milk, and they might want to check their fridges are working properly, or if there was an issue with their supplier, or even a power cut in the middle of the night.

You could tell Environmental Health, but obviously one person's claims will not be enough to shut the place down, and off milk is rarely more than unpleasant, but they might phone the shop to let them know, and ask them to check their fridge is working properly etc.

You aren't doing the shop a favour by ignoring it. If they do have a problem with the fridge, they might not know about it.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many corner shops aren't too carefull with storing food and I would avoid perishable stuff. However having said that, we and almost everybody used to have a milkman deliver the milk and often it would stand on the doorstep all day while you were at work, either in the sun or frozen solid.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    I agree with what *Sparkle* said.
  • Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    It's best to just tell them. You can do it in a non-confrontational way, and just 'let them know', that there was a problem with the milk, and they might want to check their fridges are working properly, or if there was an issue with their supplier, or even a power cut in the middle of the night.

You could tell Environmental Health, but obviously one person's claims will not be enough to shut the place down, and off milk is rarely more than unpleasant, but they might phone the shop to let them know, and ask them to check their fridge is working properly etc.

You aren't doing the shop a favour by ignoring it. If they do have a problem with the fridge, they might not know about it.

I think this is the most responsible way to deal with it.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jesus! Calls for the EHO, shutting the shop, avoiding shopping there..... What's next, crucifiction or a burning at the stake? It's a bottle of milk that's off, not the second coming of Adolf Hilter. Get a grip!

In future, just take it back and tell the shopkeeper. Really, it's not that big of a deal.

It's no wonder this country is hamstrung by nanny state regulations if this is the typical reaction to a very VERY minor issue. Sounds like many of you are ready to start WW3 :o
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The other day it was very early in the morning and I had no milk. The supermarket was not open at the time so instead I went to the local corner shop.

When I got home I put the milk straight in my fridge. Later that evening I wanted a cup of tea so opened up the milk (it was sealed properly).

Hmm....is it usual to immediately stock up on items that you are running low on, even though you don't necessarily require them?
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A couple of years ago my son bought one of those Rustlers burgers from the local corner shop. When he got home he noticed the use by date was a couple of days before. He went straight back and told them, they were horrified and immediately gave him a refund and went and checked the dates on the rest of the stock.

I went to Tesco one evening around 2 or 3 months ago and bought some items that had just been reduced - 2 of them were pasta pots. When I got home I noticed the use by date on one of them was the day before. I was surprised that a company as big as Tesco would sell something out of date but I guess things can slip through the net sometimes. I didn't take it back - I ate it, and enjoyed it very much!
  • tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP. When this happened to me I returned to the shop and swapped the "off" milk for a new bottle.

Good luck, I hope it works our for you;-)!