iPhone really screwed Zune over?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,543
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was looking at the zune the other day and thought it wasnt all that bad, but is it me or does the launch of the iPhone make the Zune just completely unattractive now?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arent they completely different
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Widescreen ipod in a phone vs Microsoft's ipod.
  • Super_famicomSuper_famicom Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    No don't be stupi.d They are completely different. One is a 8 Gb PHONE and one is a 30Gb PLAYER. The zune will get better. The iphone is more of a PDA.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The zune will get better.

It'll get... better? How?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Software and firmware updates?
    Forum Member
    Updates!
    They will update it a lot.
    They will update so it wirelessly links with computers and xboxes.
    Sometime this year or early next they will have games.
    Those things have be en confirmed but it is heavily rumoured that they will include on the fly podcasting.
    Oh and also they will use that live everywhere aswell.
    Also they have got linux on it so they open it up to just about everything
    :)
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was looking at the zune the other day and thought it wasnt all that bad, but is it me or does the launch of the iPhone make the Zune just completely unattractive now?

iPhone cant even scrape G3! What a style over substance item for all the apple zealots out there to rush out and buy because they think it is something special. It cant even claim to be the first touch screen phone let alone the first one called iPhone.

The Zune is just an other DRM riddled wannabe and if it lives up to the usual Toshibia quality it will last about the life of its warranty if you are lucky.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sack wrote:
    iPhone cant even scrape G3! What a style over substance item for all the apple zealots out there to rush out and buy because they think it is something special.

I'd hazard a guess here and say if you have it to play with on an EDGE network for a day over in the US, you'd change your mind. From what I gather, whereas 3G is the norm for high speed data here, it seems to be more likely EDGE over there? Anyhow, when it comes to the EU, Apple say they'll stick 3G in it.

And any Apple product I've bought has had both style AND substance, in spades. :)

The Sack wrote:
    It cant even claim to be the first touch screen phone let alone the first one called iPhone.

Sack, I don't think any one cares...

Besides, no other popular consumer device has the wonderful MULTI touch screen...
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also the iPhone costs almost 2.5 times what the Zune does - $250 for Zune and $600 for iPhone. That is a serious amount of cash and the Zune does have more storage.

Many people won't want such a large device for a phone either, it is big when compared to phone like the RAZR and SLVR.
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member

Not really. My take on this is that while the Zune doesn't completely suck balls, it is no match for the current iPod. There will always be a market for people that want M$ only things, so it will probably do well.

The iPhone, combines music, video, phone and internet browsing and so doesn't really compete with the Zune, which only does music right now. But who knows what software updates M$ will put out for it.

Personally, I am a Mac fan, and am really looking forward to the iPhone release. I just hope that by Q4 this year there will be a 3G version (3G is apparently not big enough in the US yet...) and one that will let me sync wirelessly with my MacBook.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretinama wrote:
    I just hope that by Q4 this year there will be a 3G version (3G is apparently not big enough in the US yet...) and one that will let me sync wirelessly with my MacBook.

I beleive the deputy VP (or simil\r) said there would be a 3G version Q4 for the EU.
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Zune is doomed from the start, Microsoft should stick to what they know computing and gaming.
    Forum Member
    Oh these are updates. They sound really exciting!
    - Buy songs, music videos, movies, TV Shows, etc. from the Zune Marketplace. You’ll also be able to purchase accessories online from Microsoft partners.

- Get a whole range of free content like artist interviews, video biographies, podcasts, etc.

- Get music from independent artists at a cheap price (anywhere from 0 to 50 points).

- Access the Zune Marketplace from your Zune, and buy/download content through your Wi-Fi connection.

- Add upto 5 friends with whom you can share music without the “3 day 3 play” restriction. [not sure if it will have another form of restriction]

- No “3 day 3 play” restriction on music not purchased from the Zune Marketplace.

There are some other stuff planned that may fall through, one of which is quite interesting. Microsoft is planning on placing a small (10-20 seconds) audio advertisement at the end of certain songs, currently only indie labels. You’ll be able to stream and listen to these songs on your Zune for free, however you’ll still need to pay to download them.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh these are updates. They sound really exciting!

Could we get a link for those updates?
    Forum Member
    Zunescene.com I think.
    The prices just came out for the iPhone!
    £595 or £660!!!! OMG that is so bloody expensive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whats with this nonsense you are posting? Those are NOT the UK prices of the iPhone.

And to the people who say the iPhone doesnt affect the Zune - nonsense. Completely different? Really? My next purchase will be an iPhone, eliminating the need for a separate MP3 player. The Zune would have been a consideration, but it looks old hat now.
    Forum Member
    Wow you get some crazy arse apple fanboys don't you.lol
    Here is the prices http://uk.gizmodo.com/2007/01/15/apple_iphone_to_cost_595660_1.html
    And it was zune-online.com.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's merely a speculative unsubsidised price, which is excellent and here's why:

My HTC Universal was £624 last time I checked without contract, and £129 with 12 month contract. This was about 3 months ago, but that's irrelevant.

So if the iPhone is a similar price unsubsidised, that's great news indeed....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow you get some crazy arse apple fanboys don't you.lol
    Here is the prices http://uk.gizmodo.com/2007/01/15/apple_iphone_to_cost_595660_1.html
    And it was zune-online.com.

I work for Microsoft. Im not an Apple fanboy. The phone is likely to be that price UNLOCKED. If you get it on a contract, it will be much cheaper. Perhaps half that price. Guess what, that happens for *all* mobile phones.