Options

Creative Vision M file question

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 723
Forum Member
✭✭
Hey all.

I am thinking about getting a Creative Vision M to replace my ageing iAudio M3.

What I need to know is how are the files organised on the Vision? Can I make folders and drag and drop into them? Or does it organise purely by ID3 tag like the iPod?

I love the look and features of this player, but if I cannot drag and drop, I really dont want it.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Havelock VetinariHavelock Vetinari Posts: 13,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes you can do drag and drop. Read this linky
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for link, glad to see it can be done.

Here is another question which is not answered in that forum. When you do drag and drop the files, how does it show up in the player? Does it show up as files and folders or does it organise it by ID3 tag?

Cheers
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    christocar wrote:
    Thanks for link, glad to see it can be done.

Here is another question which is not answered in that forum. When you do drag and drop the files, how does it show up in the player? Does it show up as files and folders or does it organise it by ID3 tag?

Cheers
    ID3 tag.

I used to manually copy everything across, but WMP11 and the latest firmware work well together, and you could still manually copy files across if needed.

However it does NOT show up as a drive, it shows up as a MTP device.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't use drag and drop myself. I use the Creative sfotware as I mainly import albums either bought ones or made up ones :)
    Plus my Zen shows up as a drive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damn I was hoping I would be able to surf my tunes in a file structure, as my ID3 tags are a mess. If I want a new player badly enough I guess I will have to sort them out. :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Use Tag and rename if your ID tags need redoing. Mine did from when I transfered them from my Zen Touch. They were a mess. it took me about 3 or 4 days to redo about 14 GB worth. Not too bad really as you only need to do it once and then burn them to CD/DVD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have 120 gigs of music though. That would suck to have to do all that
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    christocar wrote:
    I have 120 gigs of music though. That would suck to have to do all that
    If they're in a proper folder structure, use ID3-TagIt, and it can search through the folders, and fill the tags in on all the files in one foul swoop! Just enable the search subdirectories option!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    christocar wrote:
    Damn I was hoping I would be able to surf my tunes in a file structure, as my ID3 tags are a mess. If I want a new player badly enough I guess I will have to sort them out. :cry:
    If the file structure is consistent, e.g.

Album Name [Year] \ TrackNum - Artist - Title

You can get TagScanner to fix the ID3 Tags, the only time it falls down is if your separator is a character used in files - e.g. my A-Ha tracks got a bit buggered!

Compilations are a bit of an arse to get onto the device properly - ideally you need to set the Album Artist tag in Windows Media Player 11 (which tag scanner can't do :( )

Once that's done adding Album art in WMP11 is a doddle, and then your files are fixed for good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the tips, I will have to now decide whether I now want to go through the hassle of sorting all the tags for a new player.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One more question, and its not a deal breaker but I would be interested to know the answer...

When watching a video, can you set a bookmark and come back to it later? i.e. pause an episode of a tv show, go into music, listen for a bit, then come back to the bookmarked video?

Cheers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simple answer. No. linky
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cool thanks, I have decided to order the 60GB version anyway! Amazon are doing it for £185! Bargain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent. Enjoy it, the sound quality is amazing for better than the iPod.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yahoo its ordered! I ordered a skin for it, and a wallplug adapter too. They should be included in the box, but never mind.

Since my old mp3 player (iAudio M3) shows up as a hard drive, I am hoping to simply copy my music collection from that player directly onto the Zen using drag and drop...

Any reason why that shouldnt work?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    christocar wrote:
    Yahoo its ordered! I ordered a skin for it, and a wallplug adapter too. They should be included in the box, but never mind.

Since my old mp3 player (iAudio M3) shows up as a hard drive, I am hoping to simply copy my music collection from that player directly onto the Zen using drag and drop...

Any reason why that shouldnt work?

The Wallplug was included with my 30GB version - I think they dropped it to stay cheaper than the powerbrick less ipod.

If you have XP it will show up as an MTP device (NOT A DRIVE LETTER) where you can drag and drop to the correct folder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The A/C is NOT included in the box anymore. I got mine in december and had to order a A/C adapter. Actually I ordered it before hand as I read the package contents and there was no a/c adapter included.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do you mean by the correct folder? Will I have to drag and drop the files to a specific location? Or can I just drag my entire "Music" folder (which is sub-divided into genre folders) onto the player and it will find all the tunes?

Cant wait to store all my pics on there and some tv shows!

Cant contain the excitement, in case you couldnt tell :eek: :) :eek: :) :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    christocar wrote:
    What do you mean by the correct folder? Will I have to drag and drop the files to a specific location? Or can I just drag my entire "Music" folder (which is sub-divided into genre folders) onto the player and it will find all the tunes?

Cant wait to store all my pics on there and some tv shows!

Cant contain the excitement, in case you couldnt tell :eek: :) :eek: :) :rolleyes:

You place

Music in
    My Computer\Zen Vision M\Storage Media\Music

Images in
    My Computer\Zen Vision M\Storage Media\Pictures

TV programmes in
    My Computer\Zen Vision M\Storage Media\TV

Podcasts in
    My Computer\Zen Vision M\Storage Media\ZENcast
    (put each different channel in a different folder)

The podcasts one is handy as it can keep speech away from music when on random.

My Computer\Zen Vision M\Storage Media\Album
    is for album art images (for music and Zen Casts)- they have names like
    C2 Uchafbwyntiau'r Wythnos.alb
    but are 0byte files - easiest way to add that is to fix it properly is to use Media Player and a bit of drag and drop...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice one thanks for the tips on file-management!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got my Zen Vision M 60GB finally, what an amazing player!
    First thing that struck me was the quality of the screen, completely blew me away!
    Once I had charged it up and transferred some files (really quick and easy), I checked out some Divx/Xvid files and they play really well. Been watching Spiderman The Animated series on the train on the way in to work!

Just one thing I cannot figure out, is how do I skip to the next track from the "Now Playing" screen? There is no obvious way to do this, and I have left my manual at home, can anyone help?

Thanks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    On the disc wheel thingy in the middle press the RHS, denoted by a small triangle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    do you mean the moving left and right thing on the slider? That just seems to switch between Now Playing, and Rating info and track listing.

I dont understand how you skip tracks using that am I being a doofus, I cant figure it out
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Yes on the slider, but rather than sliding your finger, actually click on the small triangle in the RHS of triangle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahhhhh I get it now.

works a treat thanks for that.