The Secret of Crickley Hall (BBC1)

Comments

• filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed this but I didn't think it was of the same standard as Marchlands. Still, it was very good and it's great to have something to watch on a Sunday night now that Downton has ended.

I love the little one from the Oreo ad. She's the cutest thing on telly.

Disagree ! ...thought Marchlands was good but this one much better .and a more traditional Ghost story ...! .it certainly was much easier to understand ! :)
  • jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a scene where the teacher said what does escape mean? And one boy stood up and said the jews, the jews are always escaping.

With what is happening in Israel at the moment, I found this a bit insensitve and wasnt really happy to hear that!
  • felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    jonjons wrote: »
    There was a scene where the teacher said what does escape mean? And one boy stood up and said the jews, the jews are always escaping.

With what is happening in Israel at the moment, I found this a bit insensitve and wasnt really happy to hear that!

I'm sure you'll survive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    felixrex wrote: »
    I'm sure you'll survive.

^^^Agreed.

I loved that episode of Crickley Hall and, as usual, the BBC has done a brilliant job of casting, it was all so well acted.

I read the book some time ago so am delighted it has been dramatised - I love a good ghost story :D

Well done Beeb
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More to the point, with what is happening in Gaza.

But what does any of that have to do with a period flashback in a drama series?
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    More to the point, with what is happening in Gaza.

But what does any of that have to do with a period flashback in a drama series?

I agree with both your points. Whatever's happening in the middle east, it's the jews who are the doers, and palestinians the victims.
  • jojo2008jojo2008 Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched this last night on iplayer and ended up dreaming of Mr Cribbon slapping me :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomscn wrote: »
    Where have Surranne Jones boobs gone....gutted!!....this is a mystery only Arthur C Clake can possibly solve

:D

They vanished part way thru ep 1. The scene changed and suddenly they were gone.

I suppose they could be in that cupboard at the top of the stairs.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying this more than Marchlands at the moment, and am looking forward to seeing the next episode.
  • Black VelvetBlack Velvet Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have watched this a few times on the iplayer since sunday on the tele and the scene where Cam goes missing. There was a woman pushing a wee girl round on the wee roundabout but if you look its like Cam was running and he just vanished behind one of the rides in the playpark. It was like he had vanished into thin air.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Whatever's happening in the middle east, it's the jews who are the doers, and palestinians the victims.

Why are you stating (what is presumably) your own opinion as if it's a fact? Interested to hear how defending your country against rocket attacks that deliberately target civilians, by taking out military targets in response, is somehow being a 'doer' i.e. the aggressor but that's probably for the politics forum.
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it on catch up TV it is brilliant
  • ladygardenerladygardener Posts: 2,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this was pretty good, though I have to admit it's not scaring me.

I'm glad it's not just me then. I thought parts of it were hilarious.
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Started off slowly, but really enjoyed it as it went on. How people can't differentiate between the 2 timelines is beyond me though!!
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It gave me nightmares so must have had something.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the best thing I have seen Suranne Jones in. I never liked her as an actress or any of the characters she has played but this is good. She has shown she really can act and not always play the gobby Mancunian bird with a dodgy love life and who everyone fancies the pants off.
  • PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    jonjons wrote: »

There, there.
  • PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    Why are you stating (what is presumably) your own opinion as if it's a fact? Interested to hear how defending your country against rocket attacks that deliberately target civilians, by taking out military targets in response, is somehow being a 'doer' i.e. the aggressor but that's probably for the politics forum.

Comical. Assassinating elected representatives and killing entire families by destroying buildings full of civilians are hardly acts of "defence".

How many Israelis were killed by the recent rocket attacks from Gaza? None.

How many Palestinians were killed in retaliation? Many. And 4 years ago more than 1200 were killed in retaliation with polls showing that as many as 89% of Israelis backed the mass killings.
  • enna_genna_g Posts: 2,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davie1924 wrote: »
    Started off slowly, but really enjoyed it as it went on. How people can't differentiate between the 2 timelines is beyond me though!!

They are a bit browner that is in colour. Not sure if it is the clothes as it is not in sepia. Anyway that is how I differentiated them.
  • eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the best thing I have seen Suranne Jones in. I never liked her as an actress or any of the characters she has played but this is good. She has shown she really can act and not always play the gobby Mancunian bird with a dodgy love life and who everyone fancies the pants off.

She was brilliant as the Tardis !!!!
  • cobiscobis Posts: 11,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched this on iplayer, agree with the similarities to Marchlands but thoroughly enjoyed it (jumped a couple of times as well :o)
  • eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were some bits that should have been binned and reflect Mr Herberts somewhat simplistic writing. e.g. The pub landlord talking about the devil gnawing his way in from the sea was laughable !!!
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Comical. Assassinating elected representatives and killing entire families by destroying buildings full of civilians are hardly acts of "defence".

How many Israelis were killed by the recent rocket attacks from Gaza? None.

How many Palestinians were killed in retaliation? Many. And 4 years ago more than 1200 were killed in retaliation with polls showing that as many as 89% of Israelis backed the mass killings.

Free speech and all that, but this really isn't relevant to the thread.
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eve_Dyer wrote: »
    ^^^Agreed.

I loved that episode of Crickley Hall and, as usual, the BBC has done a brilliant job of casting, it was all so well acted.

I read the book some time ago so am delighted it has been dramatised - I love a good ghost story :D

Well done Beeb

i thought suranne jones and tom ellis a little wooden at times but apart from that, i really enjoyed it, dougie henshall is excellent as the creepy Cribben!:eek::o and great to see David Warner on screen again:D
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Agreed. David Warner is always a pleasure to watch.
    First saw him in "Morgan a Suitable Case for Treatment." in the 60's
    And what a career.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001831/

What with this and Homeland I really look forward to Sunday evenings on the box at the mo.:)