Options

Sky Q to get Voice Search & Record 6 and watch a 7th

Comments

• Options
    JDFJDF Posts: 4,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    Keep a check on your My Sky or Sky Service app and check if there are any earlier engineer availability dates that become available in there for your area.

Will that be in the track my order?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    JDF wrote: »
    Will that be in the track my order?

Yes in there.
  • Options
    disremberdisrember Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps a different reason why to upgrade to sky q, but I upgraded in the summer as was about to have an extension done and our lounge would at times by sealed off or used for storage and honestly, best decision ever.... to be able to just go to different room and recordings and so on are there.
  • Options
    kirstiemcnabbkirstiemcnabb Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    WTF i ordered mine last week and not getting it to 9th JAN>:(

Would not be happy with that, that's almost two months away.
    Perhaps you could nag and say it is a a Christmas pressie for your family?
    Have some engineer alternative dates in mysky for a few days after and the week after my install in December, worth to keep looking in there

Had a friend a month or so back who ordered an extra mini and had to have an engineer install
    Sky quoted a few weeks to install and she complained and sky changed it to come round in a few days to install, engineer was there about ten minutes
    Daft thing is she mentioned that the engineer was happy she using this mini to move around the house with, so no point engineer checking wifi
    Mind her house is very jumbled lot of levels and old and new building, so he might have giving up trying haha
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have some engineer alternative dates in mysky for a few days after and the week after my install in December, worth to keep looking in there

Had a friend a month or so back who ordered an extra mini and had to have an engineer install
    Sky quoted a few weeks to install and she complained and sky changed it to come round in a few days to install, engineer was there about ten minutes
    Daft thing is she mentioned that the engineer was happy she using this mini to walk around the house with, so no point him checking wifi
    Mind her house is very jumbled lot of levels and old and new building, so he might have giving up trying haha

I made a call to SKY yesterday to see if they could get it before the 9th but no luck they can not do it any earlier>:(
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Daft thing is she mentioned that the engineer was happy she using this mini to move around the house with, so no point engineer checking wifi

If there are no installer dates available, there are none available, they don't give a date that far away if they had earlier dates.

Yes, earlier dates might become available, but at the time of order, that would have been the earliest date available in that area.
  • Options
    the cushthe cush Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    rscott wrote: »
    They weren't allocated to apps - the breakdown is:-
    4 recordings
    2 mini
    2 tablet/mobile
    1 main box viewing
    1 epg data
    1 picture in picture (epg and my Q)
    1 spare.

The CAI presentation at Evolving Connectivity 2016 gave the following breakdown

Sky Q Silver – 12 tuners
    •1 for constant viewing.
    •4 for recording.
    •1 for picture-in-picture.
    •2 now (4 later) for the Mini Box.
    •2 for tablet streaming

I assume the SkyQ basic 8 tuner receiver would be
    •1 for constant viewing.
    •3 for recording.
    •1 now (2 later) for the Mini Box.
    •1 for tablet streaming

Have the spare tuners, expected to be used for extra mini boxes, been reallocated to recording?
  • Options
    kirstiemcnabbkirstiemcnabb Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    I made a call to SKY yesterday to see if they could get it before the 9th but no luck they can not do it any earlier>:(

Shame, do feel for you having to wait so long
    Keep checking your mysky, it changes often with new dates
    I had a new date appear in mine this morning for two days before my installation
    But sticking with my date

Just been round my second home this morning and neighbour had some packages for me
    Odd thing, got sent two sky hubs
    Just called sky they said to give the spare to engineer
    Might if I remember
    New card has arrived this morning
  • Options
    fatboy75fatboy75 Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    the cush wrote: »
    The CAI presentation at Evolving Connectivity 2016 gave the following breakdown

Sky Q Silver – 12 tuners
    •1 for constant viewing.
    •4 for recording.
    •2 now (4 later) for the Mini Box.
    •2 for tablet streaming

I assume the SkyQ basic 8 tuner receiver would be
    •1 for constant viewing.
    •3 for recording.
    •1 now (2 later) for the Mini Box.
    •1 for tablet streaming

Have the spare tuners, expected to be used for extra mini boxes, been reallocated to recording?

When I got SkyQ 2tb box installed in summer the engineer said that it's got 27 tuners in it I didn't believe him till now with this new update coming
  • Options
    ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    disrember wrote: »
    Perhaps a different reason why to upgrade to sky q, but I upgraded in the summer as was about to have an extension done and our lounge would at times by sealed off or used for storage and honestly, best decision ever.... to be able to just go to different room and recordings and so on are there.

We too had an extension done over the summer, Q was installed in advance of that, but we now have, or can have Sky in all rooms with a TV, and no wires to be plumbed in !
    Would have been a pain trying to run the sat cable to the new location in the Kitchen / Dining room, so left main box in lounge all wired up as before, and minis used wherever needed :-) Downside is cannot go back to old Sky+ and the connection issues that crop up time to time with the minis, although not as bad as many have !
  • Options
    ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive had SKY HD for 10 years... other than weather related...NEVER CRASHED and I have reminders.

As for "thousand times better".. typical comment from buyers remorse... :-)

By the way don't have or need multiroom before you go on about watching HD on a tablet etc :-)

So, based on no multiroom, and you do use tablet etc, there is no point in chnaging to Q, as the benefits you may see are diminished.

Would not say its a thousands times better, but it IS certainly better than Sky+

The 'apps' on the side menu however, are a waste of time, not even sure why they included them !
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimbo wrote: »
    Why would you want to record so many things at once anyway now that nearly everything is available on demand.
    If all you're interested in is the latest American drama you can probably rely on On Demand (although Sky Atlantic seems a bit hit and miss). But if you mostly watch stuff on the documentary channels On Demand is very hit and miss. If a channel even has an On Demand presence (several don't) it'll often only be a catch-up service with items disappearing within seven days.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Even though Q box does crash occasionally it's still a thousand times better than SkyHD. I'd never go back to that. I would like the reminder option brought back though.

When Sky Q lets you have two independent Sky Q Silver boxes in the home it will be perfect.
  • Options
    Jimmy_CarterJimmy_Carter Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Even though Q box does crash occasionally it's still a thousand times better than SkyHD. I'd never go back to that. I would like the reminder option brought back though.

When Sky Q lets you have two independent Sky Q Silver boxes in the home it will be perfect.

That is a major floor in the q system. There are lots of families in the same houses who don't want to 'share' a box.
  • Options
    Skylover4lifeSkylover4life Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So to confirm, with Sky Silver you'll be able to record 6 programmes while watching 1, while also someone else being able to watch another on a mini?
  • Options
    rscottrscott Posts: 6,813
    Forum Member
    Yep, when the upgrade arrives.. At the moment, it's record 4 and watch 5 different channels (1 on main box, 2 on minis and 2 on tablets/phones)
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just tried the voice search function. It works really well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What when did that start?
  • Options
    rscottrscott Posts: 6,813
    Forum Member

Boxes updated overnight to Q004 - adds voice search, simplified menus, UHD series downloads,etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rscott wrote: »

Boxes updated overnight to Q004 - adds voice search, simplified menus, UHD series downloads,etc.

I see if mine has updated
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the update to enable recording a 5th channel has been implemented yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the update to enable recording a 5th channel has been implemented yet.

Looking forward to get the 5th 6th recording
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 22/03/17 - 10:10 #49

Looking forward to get the 5th 6th recording

Shame last nights update didn't implement it because I want to record a film next Tuesday and I can't because I am already recording 4 programmes at that time. I guess I can delete a couple of scheduled recordings and download them on CatchUp. My touch remote control wouldn't work this morning so I had to go through the set up for it again.
  • Options
    Methodyguy1Methodyguy1 Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has Dolby Atmos been added yet? As the movie channels are sounding very good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the update.