How soon after my driving test can I drive on my own?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I drove on my own on the day I passed my test. I picked my OH from work by myself. He took me motorway driving the following weekend.
  • broadzbroadz Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know you have to be driven home by your instructor

Eh? I drove him home. No way was I letting him drive - I'd just passed my test for God's sake. I was tempted to let him get a taxi...
  • Bid-tvBid-tv Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The two hour thing is definitely not an official rule, but it did say in my test info pack that they 'advice' a 2 hour wait after the test to allow your nerves to settle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i drove as soon as i got my insurance sorted out same day
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    . . . Think I'll stop at Cullompton services on the M5 though. . .
    I would avoid Cullompton services if I were you...

But then again if...
    My mum lives in Bude, so I am thinking of taking the A358 through Taunton, onto the M5, then to Barnstaple and down the Atlantic Highway.
    You would not go past Cullompton anyway.

That was more coincidental than anything - I wanted to reply to both comments, then noticed that they were by the same person!

What I was going to suggest is that instead of doing M5 / A361 from Taunton to Barnstaple, go through Taunton along the B3227 towards Wivelscombe which will bring you out just to the east of South Molton where you can then A361 it to Barnstaple then the Atlantic Highway to Bude (although another scenic route would be the old A39 from Barnstaple to Bideford which goes through Instow).
  • Miss PoppyMiss Poppy Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can drive straight away - but have to get insurance sorted out.

Good luck in your test - check this out for tips www.mariamccarthy.co.uk/girls-guide.htm
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given that this thread was started about 7 months ago, I wonder if MoistenedBint passed her test?
  • chris2k2chris2k2 Posts: 9,886
    Forum Member
    I passed on the 25th Jan, but didn't get into my car until 1st Feb (bought the tax).
    But it isn't half different on your own. I went out on own on Friday, but alot different.
    Decided yesterday to drive to work to get to know the route, but I took my step-dad with me, lol.

Decided until more comfortable on my own will still catch bus for a week anyways, will see what happens next week.
    Before you all say this and that though. I only had 1 hour lesson a week with instructor, never used my car has I couldn't really afford to pay for insurance for learning and learning to drive at same time.
    Although I wish I had.
  • moanzalotmoanzalot Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    after i passed my driving instructor drove me home, then i jumped straight into my car and drove to school to pick up the lads and go mcdonalds for some lunch, then i dropped them back off at school and went home, lol was great
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My daughter has her driving test tomorrow and looking into quotes our insurance would be £1,000 more expensive once she passes than with her as a provisional driver :eek:
    We have managed to find one that is £800 for us with her on whether she passes or not, but most the price is doubled as soon as she passes.
  • El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know you have to be driven home by your instructor, but how soon after that. Is it a couple of hours or what?

Wait a couple of hours for what? For it to sink in? :eek::confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Em* wrote: »
    You will need to re-insure once you pass though, i'm sure.

The policy you'll have will be for a provisional licence, not full. :)

It made no difference to my insurance company, so off I raced! :D:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AS1 wrote: »
    My daughter has her driving test tomorrow and looking into quotes our insurance would be £1,000 more expensive once she passes than with her as a provisional driver :eek:
    We have managed to find one that is £800 for us with her on whether she passes or not, but most the price is doubled as soon as she passes.

it was no extra money for me when i was taken off my dads car insurance and put it on my own.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bid-tv wrote: »
    The two hour thing is definitely not an official rule, but it did say in my test info pack that they 'advice' a 2 hour wait after the test to allow your nerves to settle.

When I took my heavy goods a little while back, I never got one of those test info packs.

Anyhow, when it was over and done with, I was straight in the car, test pass cert safely tucked in my bag.....
  • PufflePuffle Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was driving down the motorway in my dad's 2.8l granada within an hour of passing my test - with him at my side, taught me how to enter and exit a motorway. He said and I agreed that the sooner you get out there on your own the more confidence you'd have.

I first drove on my own to my granddads that evening - only about a mile away but it was enough to get my confidence up and that's all you need really, just a short trip out without too much stress and obviously not at the busiest times of the day it does wonders for your confidence and you feel like you can achieve anything then
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CheekyPea wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but has anyone else passed their test and then not felt confident enough to go out on their own?

I passed about two months ago and I'm ok driving to places I've driven hundreds of times with my parents; dropping my brother off at training sessions and stuff, but I've not got the nerve to go anywhere further afield on my own. I'm just worried that I'll get to somewhere where the road signs are unclear and just panic. I'm also really nervous about parking, as I find it really hard to tell how much space I have, and I always worry I'll scrape another car. :(

The think is that I waited over a year before I took my test, had loads of practice with my mum and dad but I still don't feel I can go out on my own. Please tell me I'm not the only one like this; everyone else seems really confident as soon as they pass their test.

No im the same to some degree.
    I do not know the city I live in very well I have only lived here two years so know how to drive my self to work and back and thats it. If I had to drive to someplace I had never been or didnt know the way I would be very nervous, mostly about what you said, road markings and signs. Really though, we DO know what we're doing as after all we did pass a theory and a (hard) practical test - I think it is just down to lack of confidence and time behind the wheel, driving on our own.

I can still not park, certainly not in between other vehicles, well I say that but I probably can but I am pretty nervous about it.

I think it just takes practice. To get home from work I have to join a dual carriageway from a slip road and the days leading up to having to do this I was convinced I was going to crash/panic. Of course now it's a doddle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Piscesgirl wrote: »
    it was no extra money for me when i was taken off my dads car insurance and put it on my own.

That is different. With us she does not have her own car at the moment, so will be an aditional driver on one of ours.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    I always thought it had to be 24 hours from when you passed your test? But maybe i'm wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I passed my test when I was 17...went out from school to do it. I passed and drove the instructor's car back to school. He stopped looking at what I was doing and just got things out of the glove box and sorted out his paperwork, I assume as he was no longer teaching me. This was quite a time ago.
  • dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dissonance wrote: »
    I would avoid Cullompton

What I was going to suggest is that instead of doing M5 / A361 from Taunton to Barnstaple, go through Taunton along the B3227 towards Wivelscombe which will bring you out just to the east of South Molton where you can then A361 it to Barnstaple then the Atlantic Highway to Bude (although another scenic route would be the old A39 from Barnstaple to Bideford which goes through Instow).

Please give me at least 24 hours notice before you drive through Taunton, I'll have the roads cleared and traffic lights set to green.:D
    Dave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My instructor drove me home when I passed in October. I didn't get my car until 3 weeks later so I had to wait all that time without driving...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jo89uk wrote: »
    I always thought it had to be 24 hours from when you passed your test? But maybe I'm wrong.

ADIs will often recommend a period of time, for the newly qualified driver to calm down, before taking to the road, but there is no legal requirement to wait.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    As an ex driving instructor I can confirm you can drive a car unaccompanied immediately after passing your test i.e. from the test centre.

Most instructors will not let pupils drive home after passing purely to give them time to calm down after the 'high' of being told they have just passed, the pupil really has no choice if it is the instructors vehicle, if they have taken the test in their own car then they could insist on driving.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahso wrote: »
    if they have taken the test in their own car then they could insist on driving.

And if the instructor/accompanying driver argued, they could kick them out and leave them standing in the road. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    Hi All!

I passed my test yesturday! i was soo happy! Second time lucky! only got 5 Minnors.

The reason why your instructor will ALWAYS drive you home after you've passed is because you are no longer insured on their car. They only have insurrance for you to learn with your provisional.

.. unless they have Full insurrance for like just anybody to get into their car and drive lol .. which i doubt they have.