TV badges vs Manufacturers

Comments

• daver34daver34 Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Are you in Scotland by any chance. SOGA is 5 years in Scotland and 6 years in the rest of the UK.

yes, i had a 32" phillips tv tube fault, in the beginning payed for a report from company recommended by phillips to find fault, phillips wanted me to pay £400 for tube & repair company wanted £100 to replace tube.

Tv was bought thro Hydro electric,lady i knew who worked there, told me to contact head office stating sales of goods act.They agreed to pay repair company & phillips provided tube free of charge after i hassled them with sales of goods act spiel, this was 7 years ago.ive never payed for extended warranties.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,453
    Forum Member
    daver34 wrote: »
    Sales of goods act covers 5 years from date product purchased. Exception is wear & tear, which is unlikely on tv`s.

Sorry, but that's utter nonsense :D

Wear and tear occurs just as much on a TV as anything else.

The SOGA essentially gives you the right to take the retailer to court where you 'may' be awarded 'part' of the repair cost, assuming you can prove it's a manufacturing defect.

It's a great deal less 'cover' than a multi-year warranty.
    Forum Member
    yes, i had a 32" phillips tv tube fault, in the beginning payed for a report from company recommended by phillips to find fault, phillips wanted me to pay £400 for tube & repair company wanted £100 to replace tube.

Tv was bought thro Hydro electric,lady i knew who worked there, told me to contact head office stating sales of goods act.They agreed to pay repair company & phillips provided tube free of charge after i hassled them with sales of goods act spiel, this was 7 years ago.ive never payed for extended warranties.

Not a good example - Philips were well known for manufacturing faulty sub-standard tubes, so the retailer didn't have a leg to stand on under the SOGA.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nigel what wear & tear would you expect a customer to complain about on a tv?.
    Build quality & parts, how would a customer go about proving that,

assuming you can prove it's a manufacturing defect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a good example - Philips were well known for manufacturing faulty sub-standard tubes, so the retailer didn't have a leg to stand on under the SOGA.

Not a good example?, its okay if your in the trade and know that, but how would a customer know, how many google searches should they conduct(other search engines are available).
    Forum Member
    Nigel what wear & tear would you expect a customer to complain about on a tv?.

Fairly obviously the tube (in a CRT), the PDP (in a Plasma), or the CCFL's (in an LCD) - and 'potentially?' the LED's in an LED/LCD (too new for any examples yet).

Build quality & parts, how would a customer go about proving that,

assuming you can prove it's a manufacturing defect.

That's the point, it's VERY difficult to prove - but generally the threat of court action will make a retailer cave-in, even if he's in the right, as it's going to cost him more to go to court and fight it.
    Forum Member
    Not a good example?, its okay if your in the trade and know that, but how would a customer know, how many google searches should they conduct(other search engines are available).

Presumably a google search (there are no other search engines :p) would bring up lot's of examples of the Philips problems.

The UK Philips service company even went bust, with the reasoning in the trade that they couldn't survive the cash flow problems.

For warranty work you have to buy the parts, then put a claim in - that gets paid a considerable time later - the huge numbers of tubes they were replacing meant they went bust before Philips paid them.
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What out B&O and other high end manufacturers ?
  • Peter_KelamisPeter_Kelamis Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I never knew that Italy ever manufactured any set top boxes or TVs? :confused:
    Forum Member
    scruffpot wrote: »
    What out B&O and other high end manufacturers ?

B&O are essentially a fashion statement, VERY expensive, and you're just paying for the name and the styling.

Like Bose really - and notice that neither of those ever submit their audio equipment for review :p

B&O also didn't even make digital tuner sets until fairly recently, a B&O dealer in the same group as us used to have to cable tie Freeview boxes to the back of every one he sold.
    Forum Member

What's Italy got to do with it? - although I have seen Italian B&W portable sets in the distant past.
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    It's not considered so in the trade, 10% for a 5 year warranty isn't sustainable - and there's a LOT of complaints about problems with the warranties. However, if you're happy to take your chances, the price is exceptionally good.

If it comes to a straight choice between shop A, with 1 year warranty, and shop B with a 5 year warranty that may or may not be worth the paper it's printed on, if they're the same or very similar price I'll go with the 'inferior' extended package every time.

Every TV I've had in recent years has stubbornly refused to fail in 5 years anyway (apart from one with the usual crapcaps issue -- easily and cheaply fixed, and ironically the cheap unbranded rubbish I put in has outlasted the "half decent" SamXons that were there in the first place).

Not that it matters to the conversation, but Thomson had a large TV factory in Italy, which is now owned by Videocon of India. It's still pumping out TVs by the bucketload.
  • trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its all about buying wise within the limit of your budget .

if for example i was after a small 22inch bedroom set and had a strict budget of 250 , and the choice was between the latest 2013 samsung panel in argos/currys , with a years guarantee ,,,,,, or alternatively last years samsung panel in richers for 150 plus 15quid for the 5yr guarantee ,,,,, then i know which im gonna go with.

saving a little money and getting a longer warranty always wins for me

so the 150 model isn't a 'smart tv' ,,,,,,,, but your hooking your ps3 up anyhow which essentially turns it into one anyhow ,,,,, and still getting a cracking 1080p set
    Forum Member
    trayhop123 wrote: »
    if for example i was after a small 22inch bedroom set and had a strict budget of 250 , and the choice was between the latest 2013 samsung panel in argos/currys , with a years guarantee ,,,,,, or alternatively last years samsung panel in richers for 150 plus 15quid for the 5yr guarantee ,,,,, then i know which im gonna go with.

Pretty obvious choice - and it's also fairly common that last years model could be a better set anyway :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    B&O are essentially a fashion statement, VERY expensive, and you're just paying for the name and the styling.

Like Bose really - and notice that neither of those ever submit their audio equipment for review :p

B&O also didn't even make digital tuner sets until fairly recently, a B&O dealer in the same group as us used to have to cable tie Freeview boxes to the back of every one he sold.

I totally agree with you.. however 2nd/3rd hand you can pick up some great bargains... my mx4000 is a great tv..it was cheap and cheerful when i bought it.. as I needed a small tv for my room. I wanted a decent flat screen however the prices I looked at was just too expensive (I don't have an HD feed)... so what i bought does the job perfectly
    I think why i went for one of these even though it was probably 3rd hand was just because of the sound quality compared to what i could find. Picture is good as well
    So who actually makes insides? is it B&O or not?
    Forum Member
    Not generally B&O, no. Two common manufacturers of the innards of B&O stuff in the past have been Philips and Hitachi; no idea who they are now.
    Forum Member
    So who actually makes insides? is it B&O or not?

Possibly Philips?, they have made VCR's etc. for B&O in the past, I can't say I've ever seen a B&O flatscreen?.

They used to make their own CRT sets, which were pretty good, but VERY expensive - and very prone to dry joints (due to poor manufacturing quality and design).

What did always impress me was the old B&O control, popout panels, and popout controls - all of which felt extremely robust and well made.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly Philips?, they have made VCR's etc. for B&O in the past, I can't say I've ever seen a B&O flatscreen?.

They used to make their own CRT sets, which were pretty good, but VERY expensive - and very prone to dry joints (due to poor manufacturing quality and design).

What did always impress me was the old B&O control, popout panels, and popout controls - all of which felt extremely robust and well made.

I think for me it is about the sound. a slim fit tv with great sound (crt) no idea what the new ones are like these days.. also I like aesthetics as well ... If I could ever afford a really high end tv I would spend money on a decent looking one
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about Loewe?
    Forum Member
    I think for me it is about the sound. a slim fit tv with great sound (crt) no idea what the new ones are like these days.

Well they weren't terribly 'slim', as they used the same CRT's as everyone else (except Sony) :D

I would imagine current B&O sets have crap sound like everyone else's? - you can't have a slim LCD/Plasma and decent sound, there's no room.
    Forum Member
    What about Loewe?

Never seen one, but presumably similar to B&O (an over priced fashion statement).
    Forum Member
    I've seen at least one Loewe TV being sold by a supermarket chain, and it looked to be a UMC TV with a Loewe badge stuck on the front.

It comes to something when even the esoteric brands are tarting themselves out to the highest bidder :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Well they weren't terribly 'slim', as they used the same CRT's as everyone else (except Sony) :D

I would imagine current B&O sets have crap sound like everyone else's? - you can't have a slim LCD/Plasma and decent sound, there's no room.

I don't know about about that.

My Plasma has a solid glass front, in that the screen and the bevel is a single sheet of thick glass. The TV has two down firing subwoofers at the bottom and smaller speakers around the screen behind the glass.

OK, not quite up to a decent soundbar or a stereo system, but vastly superior to any other LCD or Plasma TV I have heard, and much better that some of the CRT's I have owned over the years. Very good for everyday use I'd say.

But the downside is the TV is very heavy, it takes two people to lift it and it is nowhere near as thin as most flat screen TVs.

But yeah, generally flat screen TVs do have poor sound.
    Forum Member
    I don't know about about that.

My Plasma has a solid glass front, in that the screen and the bevel is a single sheet of thick glass.

PDP's have to be glass, due to their construction (two glass plates with a partial vacuum between them). This is why they are much more affected by reflections.

The TV has two down firing subwoofers at the bottom and smaller speakers around the screen behind the glass.

I'm presuming you actually mean two small 'bass units', rather than sub-woofers, which are completely different, need to be pretty substantial (and don't need two).

But the downside is the TV is very heavy, it takes two people to lift it and it is nowhere near as thin as most flat screen TVs.

But yeah, generally flat screen TVs do have poor sound.

Presumably yours is a fairly elderly one?. Hence it's MUCH greater size, weight, and thus larger speakers.

My elderly plasma has reasonable sound as well, but it's not small or light :p