Ea Announces Subscription Service On Xbox One: Ea Access

Comments

• HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting. It seem another move to make gaming a subscription service where the player doesn't actually own anything. Saying that though the idea of Fifa as a service doesn't actually seem too bad and would suit those type of games and other annual franchises as well.

"EA Access is a totally new way for you to play more of the games you love, for less."

By totally new I take it they mean just like PS+ and Games for Gold :p
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, just to double check, we'd pay $5 of so a month and we get access to EA's games on Xbox One? Seems like a pretty decent deal. $30 for a year, not even half the price of a game when converted to GBP. On Gaming sites comment sections, everyone is complaining about it, but it seems like a great offer, actually.
  • Nolan DeckardNolan Deckard Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So has MS got the exclusive rights to this in order to comabt the Playstation Now service that Sony are working on?
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    So, just to double check, we'd pay $5 of so a month and we get access to EA's games on Xbox One? Seems like a pretty decent deal. $30 for a year, not even half the price of a game when converted to GBP. On Gaming sites comment sections, everyone is complaining about it, but it seems like a great offer, actually.

It's an xbox one exclusive, what do you expect? The hate for the console is strong on a lot of hardcore gaming sites.

This is a pretty good offer. I already own Peggle 2 and fifa 14, but i wouldn't mind playing Madden and early trials and discounts on games is an added bonus.

Hopefully we don't get shafted on the exchange rate and this is around £20 a year in the uk.

Sign me up.
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Just checked and it is £19.99 for a year sub.
    How much does EA Access cost?

Membership in EA Access has been priced affordably at £3.99 per month, but you can save even more: £19.99 for a full year.

http://www.ea.com/eaaccess/en_GB/faq.html

Ok EA, take my money.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the real key to this service will be how long it takes for a game like Fifa to go from a discounted purchase to free access. If Fifa 15 arrives for free by January I think the service could be an interesting prospect for people who buy a few sports games a year. You will probably still buy your main sports game on release but at a discount and then rely on the free access for other sports. But if games don't appear for free until July next year for example I think the service will struggle.

If the lag time between release and free access is short I think this is a great idea for sports games.

Outside of the sports games I am not sure about this. I would worry that it will devalue the PS+ and GWG as EA games could disappear from them.
    So has MS got the exclusive rights to this in order to comabt the Playstation Now service that Sony are working on?

I doubt it will stay exclusive for long if it's successful and turns a profit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup, £20. I'm in for BF4 alone (been so tempted to buy it... I have it on PC, though :p)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got an e-mail from Microsoft. ALL members of Xbox One Preview will be getting access to EA Access beta.

The e-mails makes it sound it's live now? or about to go live within the next few days?
    Microsoft wrote:
    As a member of the Xbox One Preview, you are getting a first look at EA Access. You'll receive an Xbox Live message on your console with a code to download the EA Access Hub app, and there'll be some quests and surveys available in the Xbox Preview Dashboard app. (Note: While you can download and browse the EA Access Hub app for free, you'll need to purchase a EA Access subscription to enjoy all the benefits.)
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £20... I'm in.

Unlimited access to (older) EA games + 10% discount on EA digital downloads + early access to new EA games.

Just got an e-mail from Microsoft. ALL members of Xbox One Preview will be getting access to EA Access beta.

The e-mails makes it sound it's live now? or about to go live within the next few days?

I've not had an XBL message yet on my X1, just the email.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got my message and signed up for a year. Was thinking of just trying it, but 3.99 a month seems a rip off, considering you get 12 for 19.99.

Downloading Battlefield at the moment. I hope that EA does add to this. I'm not expecting AAA titles, but I hope we'll get some of their back catalogue.
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    I think the real key to this service will be how long it takes for a game like Fifa to go from a discounted purchase to free access.

Yep, seems like a good deal now, may not be so great in six months time, when the sort of lag you are going to get will be more apparent. Mildly jealous as a 360 to PS4 convert, not insanely though :) Those discounts on EA digital prices will bring them down from "you are having a laugh" to "Blimey, that is really rather expensive", so less excited there.

It's good that it hasn't taken 6 months to appear in the UK, and the price isn't a lazy dollars to pounds conversion as well, thumbs up to EA all round really. Feels odd to say that about EA, but normal order will be resumed when they bring out day 1 pool dlc for sims 4, and I can go back to hating their guts :)
  • shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think it seems like a great idea if you dont mind waiting to play games but most people wont wait 6 months before playing a game they get them on or near the release date. imagine waiting 6 months to play the new battlefield or fifa ?.

if you dont get games the day of release and dont mind waiting its a real bargin
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got my message and signed up for a year. Was thinking of just trying it, but 3.99 a month seems a rip off, considering you get 12 for 19.99.

Downloading Battlefield at the moment. I hope that EA does add to this. I'm not expecting AAA titles, but I hope we'll get some of their back catalogue.

What other games are available?
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At £20 a year the cost is negligible and I wouldn't blame anyone for giving it a go.

But why the need for a seperate service? EA have happily put games on PS+ in the past and I assumed the same would now happen on Games With Gold. Why should gamers have to pay extra just because it's EA?
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,390
    Forum Member
    But why the need for a seperate service?
    Because it will likely make EA more money.
    EA have happily put games on PS+ in the past and I assumed the same would now happen on Games With Gold.
    And I hope that this new service does not mean that we won't be getting EA titles on PS+/GWG anymore.

BTW Sony say they turned down the opportunity t have this on there consoles as they don't see it as good value given the popularity of PS+.
    "We evaluated the EA Access subscription offering and decided that it does not bring the kind of value PlayStation customers have come to expect," a statement reads. "PlayStation Plus memberships are up more than 200 per cent since the launch of PlayStation 4, which shows that gamers are looking for memberships that offer a multitude of services, across various devices, for one low price.

"We don't think asking our fans to pay an additional $5 a month for this EA-specific program represents good value to the PlayStation gamer."
    http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/07/30/sony-passed-on-ea-access-for-ps4-as-its-not-good-value
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And I hope that this new service does not mean that we won't be getting EA titles on PS+/GWG anymore.

I can't see any EA games coming to GWG now, (at least not on Xbox One) as doing so would just devalue EA's own offering.

As for Sony apparently declining EA Access for PS4, I have to wonder what EA's next move there will be. They've enjoyed taking a slice of the PS+ revenue on a number of occasions. If they continue putting games on there it (again) devalues their offering on Xbox One, If they stop, they are walking away from a revenue stream. Maybe they'll find a compromise between the rocks and hard places.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bollocks from Sony. PS+ memberships are up 200% because playstation owners have been cornered into buying membership to be able to play online. And kind of value? Isn't Sony the company offering Playstation Now? For $5 for 4 hours? Playstation Now isn't value for money - it's an utter rip off, and THAT is why Sony passed on EA Access, to force users into using their own service.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bollocks from Sony. PS+ memberships are up 200% because playstation owners have been cornered into buying membership to be able to play online. And kind of value? Isn't Sony the company offering Playstation Now? For $5 for 4 hours? Playstation Now isn't value for money - it's an utter rip off, and THAT is why Sony passed on EA Access, to force users into using their own service.

Yeah, you have to question Sony's motives here. It's down to the consumer to decide what's good value, not Sony. It's clear they want EA to remain a partner in PS+ rather than going it alone. That said, personally I'm not overly impressed by EA's offering and wouldn't sub right now anyway, but I do smell a Sony U-turn coming if the PS community kicks off.
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member

Already been asked but, what other games are available?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »
    Already been asked but, what other games are available?

At the moment it's just Battlefield 4, Fifa 14, NFL25 and Peggle 2, with more to be added "soon". "Vault" suggests that it will be mostly back catalogue titles, though.
  • smcbeathsmcbeath Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trying to figure this out if it is value for me. I own BF4 and fifa 14.

So now you get -

bf4 - own
    fifa 14 - own
    madden 25
    peggle 2

To come / in the picture on the sign up page

dragons age
    nba live 14
    plants v zombies
    need for speed
    ufc

If I knew that there was a 6 month wait for new games to be added then I would sign up. If it is 12 months then that's a long wait for dragons age. Plus the 10% of digital purchases also make it good value.

So probably for the 1st year, there is 7 games for my £20 that I don't own, where I only want to buy 1/7, the other 6 would be £20 for rental.
  • shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sony might be right but why not let me decide if i want to subscribe to it and why give someone a reason to choose a xbox one over a ps4.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the moment it's just Battlefield 4, Fifa 14, NFL25 and Peggle 2, with more to be added "soon". "Vault" suggests that it will be mostly back catalogue titles, though.

Nothing of interest there for me, they're somewhat limited as to what they offer, so I might take another look in 12 months.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing of interest there for me, they're somewhat limited as to what they offer, so I might take another look in 12 months.

Why 12 months? Have EA confirmed these 4 games are it for a year?
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just reading some of the comments on other sites and the DS article about it. Amazes me even something like this which seems like a bargain gets trolled :( Either people saying they agree with Sony saying it isn't good value for money (someone show me where I can purchase all these games for £19.99 please?) or that it's just a stupid idea with older games only appearing on it a year later.

I personally think it's a great idea. If you want the latest games when they come out then go ahead and pay full price, this hasn't changed. If you don't mind waiting a while like myself then this is a bargain assuming EA keep up a good flow of games. Even one AAA title a month makes this worth it.