Options

The positives and negatives of 2013 Brit awards

Comments

• Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4troy7 wrote: »
    You all moan about it but I gurantee most of you will still watch it next year .

I imagine I probably will, doesn't mean I can't find problems with this year's ceremony.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Positives:
    Lana Del Rey winning an award
    Taylor Swift's performance

Negatives:
    Emeli Sande
    The made up award just for One Direction's benefit
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Positives:
    Ben Howard
    Mumford and Sons
    Muse
    Justin Timberlake
    Ben Howard
    Sharon Osbourne (:D)
    Twitter going into teenager overdrive when 1D, Olly, Rita Ora didn't win (I don't mind them but the reaction from tweets was hilarious :D)

Negatives:
    OMG HARRY STYLES AND TAYLOR SWIFT ARE IN THE SAME BUILDING.
    The random adverts (Hi I'm pretending to be Rita Ora/Conor Maynard)
    Too many ads
    The weird plugging spots. (Here is Simon Cowell, here is Nick Grimshaw,) blah blah blah
    Taylor Swifts awkward 'y'all have cute British accents,' thing ???
  • Options
    royllsroyceroyllsroyce Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get the hype surrounding Lana del ray. shes very bland.
  • Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Negatives:
    OMG HARRY STYLES AND TAYLOR SWIFT ARE IN THE SAME BUILDING.
    The random adverts (Hi I'm pretending to be Rita Ora/Conor Maynard)
    Too many ads
    The weird plugging spots. (Here is Simon Cowell, here is Nick Grimshaw,) blah blah blah
    Taylor Swifts awkward 'y'all have cute British accents,' thing ???

I love you. Those are all the things I hated about this years Brits. On top of that..with those weird Mastercard adverts (This is going to be Priceless, hehe!) whyyy did they have to play the randomers actual out of tune singing?? They all sounded terrible. Why couldn't they just play the recording over the video like they usually do? I can't imagine anyone being impressed by those adverts... does anyone even like Connor Maynard?
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Positives :
    Black Flag winning. I dont even like them that much, but good to see a proper rock group win.
    Ben Howard (this years James Blunt;)) live performance. Wouldnt buy his cd, but his live performances are brilliant.

Negatives:
    Far too rehearsed. We NEED a Jarvis/Chumbwumba moment to make it a little more fun.
    Where was the big performance at the end from the likes of Blur/The Who/Paul Weller we have had before?
    Where was the one off collaboration? They have been great fun in the past. Tom Jones with Stereophonics, Rhianna with The Klaxons were great examples
    It is getting too bland and safe.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Positives :
    Black Flag winning. I dont even like them that much, but good to see a proper rock group win.
    Ben Howard (this years James Blunt;)) live performance. Wouldnt buy his cd, but his live performances are brilliant.

Negatives:
    Far too rehearsed. We NEED a Jarvis/Chumbwumba moment to make it a little more fun.
    Where was the big performance at the end from the likes of Blur/The Who/Paul Weller we have had before?
    Where was the one off collaboration? They have been great fun in the past. Tom Jones with Stereophonics, Rhianna with The Klaxons were great examples
    It is getting too bland and safe.
    Who the hell is Black Flag?:confused: Surely you mean The Black Keys? Also it is a bit of an insult to compare the excellent Ben Howard with the dull James Blunt.
  • Options
    fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    I love you. Those are all the things I hated about this years Brits. On top of that..with those weird Mastercard adverts (This is going to be Priceless, hehe!) whyyy did they have to play the randomers actual out of tune singing?? They all sounded terrible. Why couldn't they just play the recording over the video like they usually do? I can't imagine anyone being impressed by those adverts... does anyone even like Connor Maynard?

No. Not at all. His songs make me cringe. Just the lyrics make him seem like such a 'wannabe gangsta' type...it just doesn't feel right. And those adverts were so annoying. Please NO MORE!
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get the hype surrounding Lana del ray. shes very bland.

You don't need to "get" anything. If her music does nothing for you then fine. Millions of others obviously find her not "bland"
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who the hell is Black Flag?:confused: Surely you mean The Black Keys? Also it is a bit of an insult to compare the excellent Ben Howard with the dull James Blunt.

Yeah I meant The Black Keys. Typo while mind wandering first thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    ashtray88 wrote: »

The singing was terrible! Especially the first girl. I mean :eek: I've heard better singing from drunk holidaymakers in Majorca.

I'd like to add to my list The ad for the Brit Awards album. The ad features 1D, Rita Ora, and all the pop stuff but no Ben Howard, Mumford and Sons or even Adele. Seems like a plug for the labels "teenage" artists :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Jackie BrownJackie Brown Posts: 3,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Positives:

Lana del Ray winning an award. She is amazing, so that made my night! :)

Negative:

The boring / bland audience with no atmosphere; you'd think a load of coked up music executives / artists / hangers on would make more noise and ambience?
    Taylor Swift and her sexed up act :yawn:
    The name dropping of One Direction every ten minutes
    The made up award for One DIrection's benefit (no wonder Cowell turned up)
    James Cordon
    No Oustanding / Lifetime Achievement Awards
    No big collaboration with artists of different genres
    Rita Ora / Conor Maynard Mastercard adverts
    Nick "Grimmy" Grimshaw - overated and always in your face. (28 my a*se) :rolleyes:

I could go on with the negatives but I would like to get my lunch! :D
  • Options
    BluesTrainRadioBluesTrainRadio Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, I didn't watch it [ I was doing my radio show at the same time, luckily lots tuned in to listen to it still! ].

Positives - going only on who won what, I would say that most winners were the correct decisions, out of those nominated. Not saying they deserved to win full stop, but just out of who was put forward.

Negatives - the obvious one is the 1D 'award', that they obviously made up just to get them there. Yes, I know they have been successful this last year, fair play to them for that. But if you are going to have a global success award, there are lots more deserving acts. Trouble is, many wouldn't attend the awards.
    Did Emilie Sande really play twice or was that just down to the editing? If she did, that is rubbish.
    I would still like to see other music recognised more...for example, Download is one of the biggest festivals out there but you rarely see these acts represented on the Brits. A night like this needs a great rock band blasting a live tune out!

I used to love watching the Brits but don't these days, they largely ignore the music that I listen to. So I just keep on enjoying my music instead of watching it and getting annoyed! And I am relaxed in knowing that large numbers of people share my likes as well!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    Positives:
    Rita Ora and Olly Murs losing out on awards
    Taylor Swift's performance (mainly because I've always been a fan and it's nice to see her becoming quite big here)
    Bryan Ferry presenting an award, even if he did look a little confused

Negatives:
    The fawning over One Direction and the madeup award they won
    Nick Grimshaw
    James Corden's awful presenting and unfunny jokes
    No big collaboration
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Queen Slayona.

I'd just taken a large mouthful of tea when I read that. I had to make a split-second choice between a) Laughing loudly and spraying the tea everywhere b) Risking choking by trying to swallow the tea whilst laughing or c) Frantically spitting the tea back in the mug!
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Positives: Um...er...nope, can't think of any.

Oh. I just have. It ended on time. :)

Negatives: Why was talentless Corden introducing it?
    And definitely No Direction winning a 'fake' award for some reason.:confused:
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who is "Queen Slayona" referring to?:confused:
  • Options
    Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    Brit Awards (in general)

Positives

Live performances - including the live varied collaborations which The Grammys have
    Rock and Roll moments followed

Red Carpet

The Award itself - surely the most beautiful award statuette.

Live on the Night Broadcast 8-10.15 (2 hrs 15 duration...although 2hrs 30 would be better)

Focus on British Music Talent

Live performances available to buy with charitable donattion

Areas to develop

Confusion over what does the award actually represent? Criticall Acclaim? Popularity? UK Sales? Global Sales? Record Label Favourites? Radio Favourites?

Categories are more Smash Hits Poll Party Magazine style than Credible Awards - there should be a balanced appreciation of all aspects of music .....with the 'Platinnum awards' being given during the live broadcast'

All Award winners should be kept secret - there are many who know the outcomes before the night. This kills attendance of nominees and associates, general interest and credibility among the music industry and public.

Ideas for consideration to improve credibility and the show itself

More awards for different genres and aspects of music from songwriting, production, artistry; commercial success (airplay; sales; internet)
    Keep British and International on some key awards
    Awards awarded in live broadcast and pre live ceremony - with key wawrds in live broadcast

pre- red carpet show with nominee live acts outside of theatre/arena

greater build up on radio, tv and internet

next year return to silver statuettes.....

one live public vote award mixed with jury vote 50:50 ratio - Song of the Year

could outstanding achievement lead to British Hall of Fame Recognition - dual process - with Opening Act responsibility?
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you! I was just commenting on twitter the other day about this! How the hell is she considered country? I am a huge fan of Carrie Underwood and you can hear the difference in their music. And while Carrie has added a pop/rock edge to her recent album, it still retains a huge country influence! Taylor has always, in my opinion, been pop!

Why should artists have to fall under a particular label? Pop is a meta category which could be applied to almost anyone playing popular music. And Country isn't as narrowly defined as you think, Steve Earle, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Trisha Yearwood all play variations of Country music.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Positives

Not many. Muse, Adele and some of Emeli Sande were ok.
    A few good nominations.

Negatives

Corden, One Direction, 'fixed' award for One Direction, too much Taylor Swift, poor songs from Robbie and Justin, silly narrative about writing songs, Ben Howard, Frank Ocean not The Boss, the sacrilege that was One Direction 'performing' One Way or Another/Teenage Kicks......too safe, nothing edgy anymore.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Who is "Queen Slayona" referring to?:confused:

Leona Lewis probably. The one who was very successful couple years ago and now completely flopped with her last album :)
  • Options
    dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years ago wasnt it really just award winners who performed? I didn't really see the point of Timberlake or Swift apart from just to promote themselves, why not give their spots to British artists as the whole show is supposed to celebrate British Music.

I think they should introduce new catergories such as Best Hard Rock etc to give airtime to different types of music, shorten the daft presenter bits to fit it in.
  • Options
    The22ndRachelThe22ndRachel Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best bit was the mini interview with Dave Grohl, and him following the camera shot round.
    That and Justin performing Mirrors
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the Brit awards is now quite bland to times gone past, such as in the mid nineties.
  • Options
    DuckSeasonDuckSeason Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Positives: Dave Grohl. He can do no wrong.

Negative: The blatantly made-up 'Global Success' award created just so One Direction wouldn't leave empty handed. The producers probably felt it was best so the other artists wouldn't be subject to copious abuse from their fans, but then 12 year old girls are the last kind of people I'd be afraid of getting death threats from.