SNP watch

Comments

• BrawladBrawlad Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    Aye, you might be right. Still, it's not the best thing Scotland becoming a one party state.

It is nowhere near a one party stae as well you know:

One-party state
    EditWatch this page
    A one-party state is a country that uses a one-party political system, meaning only one political party exists and the forming of other political parties is forbidden.

Some countries have many political parties that exist, but only one that can by law be in control, which is called a one-party dominant state. In this case opposition parties against the dominant ruling party are allowed, but have no real chance of gaining power. For example, in China all power is vested in the Communist Party of China. Other parties are allowed to exist only if they accept the leading role of the Communist Party.

Most one-party states are dictatorships. The Soviet Union from 1922-1991, Nazi Germany from 1933-1945, and the Kingdom of Italy (ruled by Benito Mussolini) from 1922-1943 are some the best known examples of one-party dictatorships in history. Some one-party dictatorships are called a police state or a military dictatorship, if a secret police force or the military is used to keep a dictator in power through force.

As of April 2015, there are seven states that are ruled by a single party

http://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-party_state
  • 2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's nothing specifically controversial about them so far. I'm sure most of us are curious to see what they will do at PMQs and their general involvement and performance in Parliament. Let's not forget, the seats they are on would otherwise have been sat in by Scottish Labour or Scottish Tories so the main thing here is that they are en bloc, all of the same party.

By stark comparison, the intrigue surrounding UKIP (good and bad) almost writes itself.
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I'll be interested to see who does most of the talking at Westminster and the media work. I assume it will be Robertson and Salmond, with occasional interviews with Sturgeon and Swinney on the media side, but perhaps some others might emerge too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    Mhairi Black doesn't seem to be experienced in anything other than Smirnoff Ice and nutting people.

Jest all you like, but that girl is a refreshing addition to the team. This is someone the public can actually relate too, even if it is for all the wrong reasons. They don't need to ask this girl what crap she watches on TV. You just need to look at her to know that she watches the same shit we do.

Ah, I can see it now. True to form. Face-down in a gutter somewhere, surrounded by liquor bottles... but it's okay because it shows that she is down with the people. Whoever voted this girl, pat yourselves on the back.
  • Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brawlad wrote: »
    It is nowhere near a one party stae as well you know:

One-party state
    EditWatch this page
    A one-party state is a country that uses a one-party political system, meaning only one political party exists and the forming of other political parties is forbidden.

Some countries have many political parties that exist, but only one that can by law be in control, which is called a one-party dominant state. In this case opposition parties against the dominant ruling party are allowed, but have no real chance of gaining power. For example, in China all power is vested in the Communist Party of China. Other parties are allowed to exist only if they accept the leading role of the Communist Party.

Most one-party states are dictatorships. The Soviet Union from 1922-1991, Nazi Germany from 1933-1945, and the Kingdom of Italy (ruled by Benito Mussolini) from 1922-1943 are some the best known examples of one-party dictatorships in history. Some one-party dictatorships are called a police state or a military dictatorship, if a secret police force or the military is used to keep a dictator in power through force.

As of April 2015, there are seven states that are ruled by a single party

http://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-party_state

And yet some of the more vociferous posters on here want to Smash all of the other political parties and only leave the SNP as the alternative vote for everyone in Scotland.

Maybe the SNP are striving towards a one party dominant state then;-)
  • Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thms wrote: »

No what do you actually think, rather than just cut and paste I'd like to know your actual opinion on it, please?

Do you think a UK replacing the EU one is a good idea or not and why do you support your view?
    Forum Member
    And yet some of the more vociferous posters on here want to Smash all of the other political parties and only leave the SNP as the alternative vote for everyone in Scotland.

I would not think so . It is the failure of the other parties to sell themselves to the Scottish public that is the fault. Not the SNP
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't see the SNP wanting to change the boundaries or cling to fptp unlike the Tories who seem to be keen to make England permanently Tory.
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,563
    Forum Member

The thing is that AFAIAC there is no viable option to vote for other than the SNP. Have you heard the guff coming from the Labour party about what went wrong and the way they should be headed next? To me it all sounds fairly dreadful and as far as the LDs are concerned they blow whatever way the wind is and the Tories are a non starter.
    The Holyrood election is going to be interesting though and it is up to the opposition parties to present views which the electorate can get behind. The reason behind the continuing success of the SNP is not just because their policies appeal to many, it is because the other parties are not a viable alternative.
    Forum Member
    Jest all you like, but that girl is a refreshing addition to the team. This is someone the public can actually relate too, even if it is for all the wrong reasons. They don't need to ask this girl what crap she watches on TV. You just need to look at her to know that she watches the same shit we do.

Ah, I can see it now. True to form. Face-down in a gutter somewhere, surrounded by liquor bottles... but it's okay because it shows that she is down with the people. Whoever voted this girl, pat yourselves on the back.

A very libelous statement that
  • anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    Mhairi Black's is not some drunken n idiot, she's studying politics at Glasgow which means age must have worked and got 4As to get into the course in the first place. That demonstrates a degree of determination and self discipline. Her crime is being working class and rough around the edges.
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,563
    Forum Member
    anndra_w wrote: »
    Mhairi Black's is not some drunken n idiot, she's studying politics at Glasgow which means age must have worked and got 4As to get into the course in the first place. That demonstrates a degree of determination and self discipline. Her crime is being working class and rough around the edges.

Too right. After all the PM Cameron is very lucky that twitter and camera phones were not around when he and his chums were smashing up restaurants and intimidating people but in their world that is put down to "high jinks" and "letting off steam" but for Ms Black she is hounded by the very folk who turn a blind eye to the behavior of their lords and masters. One rule for them seems to be just fine with some people
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    I don't see the SNP wanting to change the boundaries or cling to fptp unlike the Tories who seem to be keen to make England permanently Tory.

Obviously !
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-32719452

"Former SNP leader Alex Salmond has been appointed his party's foreign affairs spokesman in the House of Commons.

Other spokespeople roles were announced by the SNP's Westminster leader Angus Robertson.

The party's Deputy Leader Stewart Hosie will remain economy spokesman and Eilidh Whiteford has been chosen as the work and pensions spokeswoman."

continues

"The new MP for Edinburgh South West, Joanna Cherry, has been appointed spokeswoman for justice and home affairs."
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously !

My point being that the SNP are in favour of voting reform even although fptp benefited them.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mhairi Black's is not some drunken n idiot, she's studying politics at Glasgow

Based on eight years experience of living in the West End of Glasgow, I can tell you that these two propositions do not in any way exclude each other. :kitty:
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Based on eight years experience of living in the West End of Glasgow, I can tell you that these two propositions do not in any way exclude each other. :kitty:

It will be interesting to see what she & the other new SNP MPs make of Westminster after they've been there a few months !

I can't wait for the first PMQs :)
    Forum Member

Glasgow Uni students have a reputation for being a wee bit tame. If you're looking for depraved try the Art School. It was like a pharmacy that place!
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cult of personality that's growing around the new SNP MPs is indicative of the hypocrisy that certain SNP supporters show.

I can guarantee that if Mhairi Black, or someone else with the same age, background and, yes, accent, had stood for Labour, they would have been slated by nationalists. But put a yellow rosette on her and she's some kind of heroine.
  • Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    The cult of personality that's growing around the new SNP MPs is indicative of the hypocrisy that certain SNP supporters show.

I can guarantee that if Mhairi Black, or someone else with the same age, background and, yes, accent, had stood for Labour, they would have been slated by nationalists. But put a yellow rosette on her and she's some kind of heroine.

Totally agreed.

Then we should be asking ourselves why the third largest Westminster political group is now a party with the aim of leaving the United Kingdom. Since the 2010 UK general election, the SNP have tripled their vote.
    Forum Member

Mhairi Black would NEVER have been selected by Scottish Labour. She's too left wing and the party would make sure she wasn't selected. That's how it operates.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mhairi Black would NEVER have been selected by Scottish Labour. She's too left wing and the party would make sure she wasn't selected. That's how it operates.
    Congratulations on spectacularly missing the point.
    Forum Member
    Congratulations for spectacularly missing the point.

The point I'm making is important and a major part of why Labour no longer has the backing of the working class. The point you're making is just your opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The point I'm making is important and a major part of why Labour no longer has the backing of the working class. The point you're making is just your opinion.
    No, the point I'm making is that certain SNP supporters would have revelled in attacking Mhairi Black's non-political attributes if she were a Labour party candidate.

Anyone who tries to claim otherwise is deluded.
This discussion has been closed.