ED: The character assassination job on Ross Barton

Comments

• WhatYouGonnaDo?WhatYouGonnaDo? Posts: 5,980
    Forum Member
    trevon1 wrote: »
    Yeah, I thought the term "character assassination" is used when a character who is usually nice and decent does something out of character to forever ruin who they are. The only character assassination I can think of on Emmerdale would be that of Gordon: from loving father to evil child rapist.

After a handful of scenes in 10 years (prior to the SL you are referring to) Gordon was barely more than a sketch, what character was there to assassinate? :confused:

I think a better example of character assassination would be someone like Carl King, a long standing character viewers knew well, who was dragged through the gutter in order to provide a bit of excitement for the live episode.

You could maybe argue something similar for Cameron who when he first joined seemed a normal fairly decent guy. But I would actually put him in the same box as someone like Gordon. He was brought in as a love interest for Debbie, not looked at in much depth beyond that and then the writers decided to flesh him out and make him into a character in his own right. So not so much assassination as giving the viewers a closer look at him.
    Forum Member
    I think the show has more important issues to address than Ross' development. I worry more for the decline in the quality of the overall product which is gradually unfolding.

You can worry about that but imo the show has improved noticeably in the past few weeks since we started to see the new producers work :)
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nearly all of the fights Ross has been in, has been instigated by the other character. Ross barely reacts or fights back which is why it seems they win.

He has also shown to win fights without weapons such as Robert and Aaron.

The lump of wood with which he bashes peoples' heads in at intervals could be classed as a weapon, Gambit_is_ace.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Dame Kates Oates but Ross Barton/Michael Parr was very much her little pet during her reign. She used him far too much and his story-lines of his affair with Dame Debbie Dingle and the pathetic apparent death were too much. I think he is a terrible character who peaked when the beloved Donna Windsor Dingle left this earth.
  • Gambit_is_aceGambit_is_ace Posts: 9,458
    Forum Member
    The lump of wood with which he bashes peoples' heads in at intervals could be classed as a weapon, Gambit_is_ace.

Those examples I listed no bats were used, Janet Plank.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    OP, I don't think you chose the words "character assassination" very wisely.

If anything, TPTB are trying desperately to make us forget his previous despicable violent and selfish tendencies and give him more of a "character reinvention", by giving him a sense of humour, the appearance of caring about little Moses, willingness to work with his brothers instead of against them etc etc.

Doesn't work for me I'm afraid. Had he not been so incompetent he would've been a cold-hearted, mercenary, pre-meditated murderer by now in addition to all his other crimes. Until and unless he shows one iota of remorse and regret for any of those things, he'll just be the same massive-conked Dross he's been since day one. :kitty:

:o>:(

bib:Oi!! Non dross Hot Ross has got a normal sized nose!!:p
  • Jessica_BobbingJessica_Bobbing Posts: 2,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think Ross was at his best with Donna, and then it all went downhill in 2015.

I don't mind the Moses thing as they had to show somehow that Ross wasn't the anti-christ, but then they had to have Ross go full on psycho over Debbie (the supposed love of his life) and try and kill Pete. They turned him from bad boy to psychopath, and now they've made him into a comedy character. I like Ross' wit and one liners but there is no consistency.
    Forum Member
    I do think Ross was at his best with Donna, and then it all went downhill in 2015.

I don't mind the Moses thing as they had to show somehow that Ross wasn't the anti-christ, but then they had to have Ross go full on psycho over Debbie (the supposed love of his life) and try and kill Pete. They turned him from bad boy to psychopath, and now they've made him into a comedy character. I like Ross' wit and one liners but there is no consistency.

Absolutely. The show is very lucky to have Michael Parr playing Ross because whatever they throw at him, he's very competent.

Whilst Ross went full on psycho last year, it at least fit the bill of him being a villain and could be explained away that he was having a breakdown of losing everything he cared about. Including his family trust. I'm still in a bit of shock Ross has never confronted his parents about not calling the police on Pete. We've only seen Ross go after Pete.

I'm just not enjoying this full on comedy character route they're writing for him especially when it makes him look wimpish. We've got other characters in the show for that.
  • TeifiboiTeifiboi Posts: 14,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely. The show is very lucky to have Michael Parr playing Ross because whatever they throw at him, he's very competent.

Whilst Ross went full on psycho last year, it at least fit the bill of him being a villain and could be explained away that he was having a breakdown of losing everything he cared about. Including his family trust. I'm still in a bit of shock Ross has never confronted his parents about not calling the police on Pete. We've only seen Ross go after Pete.

I'm just not enjoying this full on comedy character route they're writing for him especially when it makes him look wimpish. We've got other characters in the show for that.

I do not think for a moment that Ross has ever though about anyone else but himself. He has been responsible for all the bad things that have happened to him, with the exception of the loss of Donna.

He's behaved atrociously to Pete and, whilst not condoning what Pete did, Ross deserved everything that he got. Even with Moses, he had to be bullied into taking any interest at all and, when it looked as if Emma would leave, his first concern was that he would have to pick up more responsibility for him.

Ross cannot bear to see anyone else being happy or successful, he just has to ruin it for them. If someone has something that he wants, animate or inanimate, he thinks it his birtrhright to just take it. His snide and snarkey humour doesn't make up for any of this in the slightest. He's a disloyal, idle, bloodsucking, gutless waster, a grade one rotter!
    Forum Member
    Teifiboi wrote: »
    I do not think for a moment that Ross has ever though about anyone else but himself. He has been responsible for all the bad things that have happened to him, with the exception of the loss of Donna.

He's behaved atrociously to Pete and, whilst not condoning what Pete did, Ross deserved everything that he got. Even with Moses, he had to be bullied into taking any interest at all and, when it looked as if Emma would leave, his first concern was that he would have to pick up more responsibility for him.

Ross cannot bear to see anyone else being happy or successful, he just has to ruin it for them. If someone has something that he wants, animate or inanimate, he thinks it his birtrhright to just take it. His snide and snarkey humour doesn't make up for any of this in the slightest. He's a disloyal, idle, bloodsucking, gutless waster, a grade one rotter!

Aye that's our Ross. Legend! Long live the villain!

I don't mind that they've softened him where Moses is concerned. Yes it took him a while, and yes he's still not perfect, but he's now a loving dad. Michael Parr has clearly bonded with the baby who plays Moses. You can tell the baby adores Michael too.

However, as i say, i just can't stand they've had to soften his other moments on the show too. That wasn't what Michael Parr wanted, as stated in an interview i read and it's not what I want either.
  • mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    On the contrary I actually think the recent scenes have done Ross a huge favour. He was growing stale as a character. Endless and repetitive ego-fuelled feuds with Pete with incidents of violence that were glossed over by giving him a scene with April or Moses. It was overdone. I have no problems with soap characters getting away with things as such but the narrative was very "woe-is-me" from Ross and at times I found his selfishness hard to empathise with. The overbaked, overhyped Dross debacle almost killed his character for me.

Seeing him having a laugh with his brothers and seeing a slightly more fun and softer side without it feeling manipulative in order to justify an act of violence is a welcome change in the writing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aye that's our Ross. Legend! Long live the villain!

I don't mind that they've softened him where Moses is concerned. Yes it took him a while, and yes he's still not perfect, but he's now a loving dad.

Michael Parr has clearly bonded with the baby who plays Moses. You can tell the baby adores Michael too.

However, as i say, i just can't stand they've had to soften his other moments on the show too. That wasn't what Michael Parr wanted, as stated in an interview i read and it's not what I want either.

BIB1: You enjoy watching that sort of thing, I don't! :p

BIB2: I beg to differ. :D

BIB3: I'll agree that! :)
    Forum Member
    mojo5000 wrote: »
    On the contrary I actually think the recent scenes have done Ross a huge favour. He was growing stale as a character. Endless and repetitive ego-fuelled feuds with Pete with incidents of violence that were glossed over by giving him a scene with April or Moses. It was overdone. I have no problems with soap characters getting away with things as such but the narrative was very "woe-is-me" from Ross and at times I found his selfishness hard to empathise with. The overbaked, overhyped Dross debacle almost killed his character for me.

Seeing him having a laugh with his brothers and seeing a slightly more fun and softer side without it feeling manipulative in order to justify an act of violence is a welcome change in the writing.

Oh yeah, I like the interaction he's got at the moment with his brothers and the character has become "lighter" to watch.

However, the bit that bugs me is that they've "wimped" him up a bit! Earlier in the year there was a scene where Charity revealed she had to help take Moses for his injections because Ross can't bear the sight of them. Fair enough, a lot of people can't take them. Then last week, Ross ran away from Jimmy.

This was meant to be a character billed as the new Cain!!
    Forum Member
    Oh yeah, I like the interaction he's got at the moment with his brothers and the character has become "lighter" to watch.

However, the bit that bugs me is that they've "wimped" him up a bit! Earlier in the year there was a scene where Charity revealed she had to help take Moses for his injections because Ross can't bear the sight of them. Fair enough, a lot of people can't take them. Then last week, Ross ran away from Jimmy.

This was meant to be a character billed as the new Cain!!

But come on, it's just a bit of silly fun! It makes him human. Who wants a humourless villain? Even Cain has his silly moments. Ross is still pretty threatening. I don't really know what you're worried about.

I'd share your sentiments if the transition was as extreme as Jimmy has been through (and I say that, even as a Jimmy fan) but those are two minor points and I'm sure Mike Parr enjoys the chance to showcase more than just his scowling and his fists.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I do agree with this to a limited extent. Dross the character has filled out a very small amount recently - his character is no longer quite as flat as a basso-relievo. However, there's a long way to go before he becomes a fully rounded character, and even further before he could become genuinely likable. I cannot root for him, or feel for him, or sympathise or even empathise with him. I rather think that I would be pleased to see him fall under a steamroller!

I should add that none of this is a criticism of the actor, it's a matter of how the character has been written.
    Forum Member
    Teifiboi wrote: »
    I do agree with this to a limited extent. Dross the character has filled out a very small amount recently - his character is no longer quite as flat as a basso-relievo. However, there's a long way to go before he becomes a fully rounded character, and even further before he could become genuinely likable. I cannot root for him, or feel for him, or sympathise or even empathise with him. I rather think that I would be pleased to see him fall under a steamroller!

I should add that none of this is a criticism of the actor, it's a matter of how the character has been written.

I understand you. I completely went off him last year and I've only just begun to warm to him again. I really struggle to empathise with him with his feud with Pete because he ruined Pete's life and tried to kill him multiple times. Yes Pete left him for dead but he was devastated and angry after what happened at the wedding and showed complete remorse after he attacked Ross.

But anyway, I'm sure when Debbie returns and we have to suffer through that again I might be willing that steamroller :p.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand you. I completely went off him last year and I've only just begun to warm to him again. I really struggle to empathise with him with his feud with Pete because he ruined Pete's life and tried to kill him multiple times. Yes Pete left him for dead but he was devastated and angry after what happened at the wedding and showed complete remorse after he attacked Ross.

But anyway, I'm sure when Debbie returns and we have to suffer through that again I might be willing that steamroller :p.

There's several genuine steam roadrollers about here, I'm sure that it could be arranged. I've always had a soft spot for steam driven machinery. :D
  • al_capoal_capo Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hmmmm if you call trying to frame your father in law, allowing his parents to go and see what he believed to be his bother body and then only admitting to it when he though they had found Ross. Then yeah he showed alot of remorse :D
    Forum Member
    al_capo wrote: »
    Hmmmm if you call trying to frame your father in law, allowing his parents to go and see what he believed to be his bother body and then only admitting to it when he though they had found Ross. Then yeah he showed alot of remorse :D

A damn sight more remorse than Ross has ever shown for any of his various attempts to murder people in cold blood ;-)
  • al_capoal_capo Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A damn sight more remorse than Ross has ever shown for any of his various attempts to murder people in cold blood ;-)

No one claims Ross is a saint though but some seem to think Pete is innocent. :)
  • albiexalbiex Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ross was never likeable but he has got worse. Standard practice before the axe.
  • Andy_MarloweAndy_Marlowe Posts: 3,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albiex wrote: »
    Ross was never likeable but he has got worse. Standard practice before the axe.

Yes. I think the Barton Brothers will go the way of Hollyoaks Roscoe Brothers en masse. I hope they keep Finn though, and give him some more stories.
  • albiexalbiex Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I like Finn, and I quite like Pete. Won't miss Ross.
    Forum Member
    al_capo wrote: »
    No one claims Ross is a saint though but some seem to think Pete is innocent. :)

No one said Pete was innocent. Mojo just pointed out he was remorseful about what happened to Ross. Which is correct, he even handed himself into the police eventually. Again more than Ross has ever done.
    Forum Member
    Lets steer away from Pete guys. That's off topic. I'm more than happy to create a topic for him too if you want.

Back to Ross. I do hope they toughen him up again.

As i mentioned earlier. He has shown twice examples of becoming wimpish this year now:
    Moses Injections
    Potential confrontation with Jimmy King.

Completely out of character and not consistent for a villian and a successful fighter.