Other tablets the big disappointment

167891012»

Comments

• chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't double backing it up. I was responding to a comment. Didn't realise once I had said something I wasn't allowed to speak again.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^ My TV's 3 years old thanks, so not that old. TBH it's not something that has bothered me as I use a dedicated 5.1 Surround Sound Amp.

And honestly who wants to have cables trailing everywhere? The thing with Airplaying, it allows the device to be used ie FB or surfing while still playing the Airplayed portion or even put to sleep while Airplaying so saves on battery etc.

You can do the same with the chromecast. Once you've set your cast you can use your phone or tablet for something else or put it to sleep.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chandlerp wrote: »
    I know it is a year old. The article content still applies to an awful lot of apps. I am not a fanboi and never will be. The experience of Android on a large screen is just not good enough. Small screen it is fantastic and I have a nexus 4 which I adore.

Facebook in particular is horrible on a large screen Android tablet.

The only large screened android tablet that I've used is the galaxy tab 2 10.1 and yes Facebook is horrendous. In the end I deleted the app. I've not used a high end large android tablet so the experience might be better on those devices.

There is now an android tablet app but it is only available for the Samsung galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition.

The nexus 7 is ok. I've had one in the past and the experience was pleasant. However it didn't come close to the experience of my iPad mini. I do think the experience of the newer high end android tablets should have improved and may well be on the level of the iPad.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Facebook has to get along with Apple.

I'm sure it is only really Apple who are messing up web apps.
  • Lt. DangLt. Dang Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    There is now an android tablet app but it is only available for the Samsung galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition.
    Not sure what this means since the Andriod Facebook app is on the Play store available for any tabet or phone to download? :confused:

Regards,

Lt. Dang
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    twitter's tablet app is (or was) a samsung exclusive. Don't think Facebook is.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/10/4824692/twitter-announces-tablet-optimized-android-app-makes-it-a-samsung
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lt. Dang wrote: »
    Not sure what this means since the Andriod Facebook app is on the Play store available for any tabet or phone to download? :confused:

Regards,

Lt. Dang

Apologises it is the twitter tablet app as the poster above pointed out that is exclusive to the galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The weak value proposition is not only impacting tablet-makers' ability to convert non-owners, but is driving a belief among them that prices are still too high-even though the availability of cheaper models has caused average quarterly spending on tablets in the US market to drop from $326 in Q4 2012 to $300 in Q4 2013."
    http://us.kantar.com/tech/mobile/tablets-face-uphill-sales/

Whatever it says about 'other tablets' seems to me that even in the US, a majority certainly don't seem to think all that much of the 'brand leader'.

Maybe laptops have many more a good reason for ownership. Or are the low specifications of Apple products dulling demand as a whole?
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a US-based audience measurement. Based on my experience of dealing with the American public previously, there are big swathes of the country who take quite a while to catch on to new technology. Indeed the piece points out that it's probably about messaging.

How can you see the value in something which is at least a couple of hundred dollars (and in most cases much more), when you just don't understand what you'd use it for.

As one example, the US were way behind Europe when it came to adopting text messaging. For the less tech-friendly home maker type folks, they'll really only be interested in a tablet when they understand how it can benefit them personally. Showing businessmen away from their kids doing FaceTime won't appeal to a farmer's wife in the mid west, or a retired chap in Florida, but showing the device as a place to keep recipes, or for Bible study, might appeal more to that demographic.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    I dont understand all this Apple TV 'love' as a connectivity feature.

OK. I understand that it works quite nicely as a streaming box to sit under your TV - but then again so does Chromecast (well in the back of your TV) or any DLNA enabled box. Something like a 'smart' Samsung Bluray player does very similar stuff from a connectivity perspective (Netflix, iPlayer etc and 5.1 out) and can be streamed to from an Android tablet wirelessly ......

But. Apple TV or a Bluray player is only sat under 1 TV. If, like most homes, you have several TVs then you presumably you would need one unit per TV ?

or you go the Android route that either means you connect via inductry standard wireless connection (assuming the TVs are relatively new) or you use a £2 HDMI cable ?

Whilst Im sure people can state that Apple TV is a worthy equivalent of a set-top box its surely quite limited unless you buy one for every TV in the house (we have 6) and all of your mates TVs ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    I dont understand all this Apple TV 'love' as a connectivity feature.

OK. I understand that it works quite nicely as a streaming box to sit under your TV - but then again so does Chromecast (well in the back of your TV) or any DLNA enabled box. Something like a 'smart' Samsung Bluray player does very similar stuff from a connectivity perspective (Netflix, iPlayer etc and 5.1 out) and can be streamed to from an Android tablet wirelessly ......

But. Apple TV or a Bluray player is only sat under 1 TV. If, like most homes, you have several TVs then you presumably you would need one unit per TV ?

or you go the Android route that either means you connect via inductry standard wireless connection (assuming the TVs are relatively new) or you use a £2 HDMI cable ?

Whilst Im sure people can state that Apple TV is a worthy equivalent of a set-top box its surely quite limited unless you buy one for every TV in the house (we have 6) and all of your mates TVs ?

There's your problem, 6 TVs in the house