Lost Finale Questions & Answers Thread

Comments

• stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim Nasium wrote: »
    No... no!! Stop RIGHT there!!! ;)

Well out of all the actors you'd want to see in any future Disney lead spin off, Hurley and Ben being Jacob 2, how could you possibly resist that? :D

If people want actual answers about the things people don't want answering, then thats the only way ;)
  • stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ravedadave wrote: »
    Hi,

just one question when jack gave hurley the water in the bottle to drink like Jacob had to him, why did jack not chant the "Magic Words" like jacob did ?
    The magic words were just Jacob incantations. It was the ceremonial drinking of the water that was the important part.
    Does this mean hurley was not properly "Initiated" was it intentional by Jack so he did not have to be immortal, but think he was the new "Jacob" ????

No, no one was immortal except MiB.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why did the writers say Aaron was important to the story?
  • AvillerAviller Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    So what was the deal with Widmore? And the rules of the relationship between him and Ben? Has any of that been answered?
  • billlythekidbilllythekid Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    The magic words were just Jacob incantations. It was the ceremonial drinking of the water that was the important part.

No, no one was immortal except MiB.

but Jack killed him:confused:
  • ravedadaveravedadave Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Hmm curious,

Jacobs Mother also did the same "chant" to jacob too.
    so 2 times the power was handed over the "Chant" was done apart from jack to hurley or am i just reading to much into it ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but Jack killed him:confused:

Because the light/electromagnetic activity was turned off when the stone was removed, the powers that had gone into the man in black were gone, as was the smoke monster, he was mortal again.

Also the chant said over the cup was translated as this by someone on another lost forum.

"For we do not accept this just as a common drink, but as if that (he?) should be one with me."

So it seems the chant doesn't have that much effect, it's more just a saying for show only.
  • billlythekidbilllythekid Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    EIwood wrote: »
    Because the light/electromagnetic activity was turned off when the stone was removed, the powers that had gone into the man in black were gone, as was the smoke monster, he was mortal again.

Also the chant said over the cup was translated as this by someone on another lost forum.

"For we do not accept this just as a common drink, but as if that (he?) should be one with me."

So it seems the chant doesn't have that much effect, it's more just a saying for show only.

ahh yh :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We need a questions and answers thread just for the Lostie's purgatory let alone anything that was introduced before this season.

I just tried to type out what I thought would be a simplistic explanation for it but the more I think about it, the more I doubt my theory. That it was all in Jack's POV doesn't make any sense to me, the obvious scenerio is that everyone that had been on the island created this purgatory, with them having the lives they either wanted or deserved at that stage of their life. Unfortunately I don't know if that holds up to scrutiny though because for so many of the characters their lives mirrored mistakes they made in real life (Sayid, Kate, Charlie).

I don't think we'll ever get all the answers we want but the flash sideways really should be something explainable considering it was only introduced so recently.
  • carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We need a questions and answers thread just for the Lostie's purgatory let alone anything that was introduced before this season.

I just tried to type out what I thought would be a simplistic explanation for it but the more I think about it, the more I doubt my theory. That it was all in Jack's POV doesn't make any sense to me, the obvious scenerio is that everyone that had been on the island created this purgatory, with them having the lives they either wanted or deserved at that stage of their life. Unfortunately I don't know if that holds up to scrutiny though because for so many of the characters their lives mirrored mistakes they made in real life (Sayid, Kate, Charlie).

It was the end of the flash sideways that was important. They may have made similar mistakes but Charlie, Sayid and Kate all got what they wanted in the end
    Forum Member
    At least LOST gave us the answer to which religions allow you entry into heaven (see the stained glass window during the Jack and Christian's conversation).
  • threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Why couldn't they just have had a closing shot of some strangers protecting the island after Ben & Hurley's stint?

2. Widmore put Des in the electro-mag machine so he could see what he had to do, did Des see not just going down to do some plug pulling but also gathering everyone after they die? If so why would Widmore encourage this knowing he didn't want Daniel to move on yet (although it would appear to be his mum moreso)?

3. Pre-concert after Daniel is dead his mum has many butlers & servants etc getting all the food & drink ready so are they all dead and just happy to carry on working for Daniel's family?
    Also the taxi driver who drove Locke& coffin delivery guy why are they still driving in their dead lives?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    It was the end of the flash sideways that was important. They may have made similar mistakes but Charlie, Sayid and Kate all got what they wanted in the end

The problem I have with that is it's too dependent on the outside factor of Desmond bringing them together to get that resolution. Desmond meets Ana Lucia and tells her she isn't ready, now either he knows the rules, which is doubtful because he didn't even know he was living in a purgatory or that was an independent decision on his part, in which case what could have stopped him thinking Kate, Sayid and Charlie weren't ready either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How was Desmond able to be jump between purgatory and the real world? in both worlds we was aware of the other... this made sense when purgatory was an alternate timeline because he was able to time travel.. but as this was purgatory, it completely re-writes it all.

Also... how on earth did they collectively build this big meeting place???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

3. Pre-concert after Daniel is dead his mum has many butlers & servants etc getting all the food & drink ready so are they all dead and just happy to carry on working for Daniel's family?
    Also the taxi driver who drove Locke& coffin delivery guy why are they still driving in their dead lives?

It's a fantasy.Just like Jack's son, they don't actually exist except to serve a function in the unreal world.
    Forum Member
    SlashNX wrote: »
    How was Desmond able to be jump between purgatory and the real world? in both worlds we was aware of the other... this made sense when purgatory was an alternate timeline because he was able to time travel.. but as this was purgatory, it completely re-writes it all.

Also... how on earth did they collectively build this big meeting place???

To be honest I've given up looking for explanations. It's best to just accept the story as it is. I mean did we ever find anything out about the feud between Widmore and Ben? What about so many other mysteries...
  • lakeslakes Posts: 4,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in my view view they did not know how to end the show at took the easy out, they got too deepin stuff and could not find a way out of it.....why was there a statue of the Egyptian goddess , why could chidren not be born and live on the island
    how did DHARMA find out about the place

how by turning a wheel can you move the island or pop up in a desert
    Forum Member
    BTW, how will they be able to leave the island on the Ajira plane? Did the island drop its "cloak" at some point last season?
  • zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SlashNX wrote: »
    How was Desmond able to be jump between purgatory and the real world?
    Desmond was Jacks invention, Jack was the story writer as he was dying and needed something to bring his two alternate fantasy worlds together, to give him peace before he slipped into darkness forever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember Frank flew the helicopter to the island and back, he knows the bearing to leave by, so it stands to reason he just piloted the plane on the same bearing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zounds wrote: »
    Desmond was Jacks invention, Jack was the story writer as he was dying and needed something to bring his two alternate fantasy worlds together, to give him peace before he slipped into darkness forever.

I think you need to watch the episode again. Desmond was real.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    So Aaron thought "I've had a really rubbish life. I wish I was still a baby"?
    :D

I think thats brilliant!!! :D
  • threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smerph wrote: »
    It's a fantasy.Just like Jack's son, they don't actually exist except to serve a function in the unreal world.

...aah but of course :)

Was Widmore a fantasy or was he playing along with Eloise to hang on to Daniel?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Desmond's perspective, he's time traveled before, he's transformed to this new world that is obviously different than before, it's an easy jump to think it's an alternate universe. His belief is that he needs to bring these people together to get them back on the island and having had a flashback to his real life, he thinks that if he helps trigger them for the rest of the Losties that they'll join together to get back there. But and I think this is where I've been going wrong, part of purgatory's purpose is to bring these people together, so in the end all Desmond was doing was speeding up the process. Sayid, Kate and Charlie would have found happiness regardless of Desmond as they would have found their constants eventually.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Jacob wrote a list of all the Candidates. Numbers 4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42 were the final Candidates. These numbers kept cropping up in their lives as a measure of fate to bring them together and to the Island. How? Who knows? ;)
    2. It was about all the characters, not just Jack imo.
    3. It was an island given 'supernatural' properties- some caused by the electromagnetism, some by Jacob.
    4. I think he still had to sort things out with Danielle and Alex. Neither of them 'remembered' yet.
    5. I think she still had to atone for killing him- he hadn't remembered yet.
    6. Obviously she would have to go with Daniel :)
    7. A tricky one, but I don't think he was real.
    8. He didn't make it up- it wasn't all just in his mind. Back when Juliet first appeared on the Island it seemed like they would get together; in the alt with no island they were both doctors and didn't know Kate or Sawyer, so it would be natural.
    9. Perhaps because these were their ages at their 'most important time' (as Christian put it).
    10. I think she knew they'd created the alt, so she was content to die knowing they'd be together again and everything would ultimately work out.