Options

Can Someone Explain the Best Way to Get an Iphone 4 and the Best Network?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,005
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm about to become an iphone user. Up until now, i've been a PAYG user of Orange. Now i'm moving into the scary world of contract iphone.

Firstly, Orange and o2 seem to have similar network deals, i'm i missing anything?

Secondly, the phone i have is woeful, some texts just don't get sent and i need this phone pronto. Do i have to go to an Apple shop to pick one up, surely they sell them at the Orange shop or o2 shop...or am i being an idiot on this.

Comments

• Options
    toastie15toastie15 Posts: 3,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you want the new iPhone? if so there is a shortage and you will not have much chance of getting one before the end of July. If you want the old version I think Tesco are the cheapest. O2 are only offering the iPhone 4 to current customers at the moment.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's not alot in it TBH, I would just get it with who has the best 3G network in your area. For me I would say that's O2 or Vodafone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah new one...

Dammit, looks like i'll have to get a crappy cheap one again on PAYG to tie me over.

Why would they make such a shortage...i don't get it. I looked on the 02 site to pre-order, but you could only 'register interest'. As a non-contract user i assumed i'd be low on the pecking order, but i guess there's no chance of me going to the Orange/o2 shop 8am and getting one on contract.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah new one...

Dammit, looks like i'll have to get a crappy cheap one again on PAYG to tie me over.

Why would they make such a shortage...i don't get it. I looked on the 02 site to pre-order, but you could only 'register interest'. As a non-contract user i assumed i'd be low on the pecking order, but i guess there's no chance of me going to the Orange/o2 shop 8am and getting one on contract.

It's not really there fault, there was 600k pre-orders on the first day in the US alone. No company can keep up with that sort of demand.
  • Options
    legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont buy that argument, they must have forecast 1m worldwide sales in first month. so dont release until you have the logistics in place.

but hey, a shortage is always good for hyping a brand
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont buy that argument, they must have forecast 1m worldwide sales in first month. so dont release until you have the logistics in place.

but hey, a shortage is always good for hyping a brand

Well its already far higher demand than any previous iPhone, A company can only make so many before puting a product up for sale. It's gonna sell well more than 1 million in a month if they got 600k pre-orders in 1 day in 1 country.
  • Options
    legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meant to say in excess of 1m
  • Options
    flounder78flounder78 Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    I don't think it is too late if you are a new customer at all. If you want to get one from Apple maybe. But apart from O2 Vodafone and Orange have NOT taken any pre-orders so it will be first come first served regardless of whether you are a new customer or not. That is unless they do the same as O2 come Thursday or suddenly announce they have none in stock!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah ok, so go into those stores early doors and i've got a shot?

Nice one. Now i just have to decide network. I am on orange at the minute, but they're not great with their reception here.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Best to double check the O2 website.

I believe they are only releasing iPhone 4 to customers who held a contract at 24 May.
  • Options
    prkingprking Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    Best to double check the O2 website.

I believe they are only releasing iPhone 4 to customers who held a contract at 24 May.

Almost right, its being an O2 customer on the 24 May, not just contract customers (and see post #2).
    New customers can't get one until at least July 31st.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Got you. Thanks for the clarification.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would also call up the store you are planning to visit to check what time they get their delivery.

If, for example they usually get their delivery at 10.30, theres little point of you queuing up at 6 am.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should also wait for Three to see what they are going to announce.

Ive signed up to get updates from them and got a text today saying that I should be getting an email with news in a few days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spoke to the guy in the Orange Shop. They have only 7 in stock for Thursday, but for Friday are getting some in afternoon. Told me i should come in 2-3, and i have a 'probable' chance of getting one. The o2 end of July just doesn't work for me, but Orange 600 minutes doesn't seem a great deal. Is that the average out there?