Iphone iOS4

18910111214»

Comments

• jonnyinscotlandjonnyinscotland Posts: 999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For any disgruntled 3G owners wondering why multitasking and other features are not available to you, this article helped answer my questions: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/06/22/inside_ios_4_missing_features_for_iphone_3g_users.html&page=1
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    Mine's displaying the map with pins in it fine. You tried rebooting the phone since the update?

yehh rebooting the phone hasnt worked :(

but i have installed the GM version and this has fixed it so i can live with this version till apple bring out 4.1 with bug fixs
  • davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    myromeo wrote: »
    Not according to the developer world, doesn't appear to be any new features but the ipsw files are not identical so apple have changed some things. I suspect bug fixes rather than enhancementa. Certainly seems more reliable than the GM on my 3GS, the GM crashed frequently, no such problems since public release.

The build numbers (8A293) are identical ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the build numbers are the same but the file MD5 hash is different so something has changed. all I have been able to find so far is that game center has been removed from the final release.

It seems more stable than the GM however I can see a 4.0.1 being released quite soon as I have came across a few bugs, most noticably the keyboard staying on the screen after inputting on safari. have to close/open safari to remove it. odd.
  • dave81ukdave81uk Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found another bug, if I'm listening to a podcast then exit the iPod app, if I go back to that podcast it starts right at the beginning rather than where left off.
  • flounder78flounder78 Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    nufc4life wrote: »
    anyone having problems with the places tab in photos as mine wont display the map just the pins and a gray background hope apple fix this in the nxt update

zoom in.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dunno if this is due to Atomic needing updated or the way multi-tasking works but I'm disappointed with this upgrade. What I wanted from multi-tasking was this ability to open a couple of tabs in Atomics browser, go to some other app, say mail, then come back in and the tabs still be there.... but nope... its as if I've just started it up from scratch.

OS 4 likes - grouping of mail threads, wallpaper now displaying in app icon background.

OS 4 dislikes - very limited multi-tasking.. yet to see any advantage to it

OS 4 mehs - pretty much everything else.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    I dunno if this is due to Atomic needing updated or the way multi-tasking works but I'm disappointed with this upgrade. What I wanted from multi-tasking was this ability to open a couple of tabs in Atomics browser, go to some other app, say mail, then come back in and the tabs still be there.... but nope... its as if I've just started it up from scratch.

OS 4 likes - grouping of mail threads, wallpaper now displaying in app icon background.

OS 4 dislikes - very limited multi-tasking.. yet to see any advantage to it

OS 4 mehs - pretty much everything else.

Yep I noticed that, Atomic isn't supporting iOS4 properly. I'm back on Safari until they update it.
  • dontpannicdontpannic Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the limited multitasking is only because the app developers are being so damm slow with updating thier apps to be compatible.
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    im starting to have problems with IOS4 on my 3GS now.

its started to freeze up every now and then, and its saying i have 1 text message, when ive read them all :rolleyes:
  • stephen2203stephen2203 Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikey86uk wrote: »
    ...and its saying i have 1 text message, when ive read them all :rolleyes:

The same has just happened on my 3G
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Uggh why is it taking so long.
  • gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dontpannic wrote: »
    Fixed! :D
    Oh shut up! :D
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    iPhone multi-tasking is dodgy!

I have studied computers long enough to know that the more files you have open, the slower the computer becomes.

Before OS4, I was blissfully unaware that my iPhone was doing things in the background. All I knew was, it ran pretty fast and did what I wanted.

Now, my iPhone is slow and jumpy. I open multi-tasking and see that around 12 programs are running. I close them all... but they'll be back again. Deleting each one now is becoming a daily event. As for actually multi-tasking, I think it took fewer steps clicks before.

Before: BUTTON, SWIPE, PRESS
    Now: BUTTON, BUTTON, SWIPE, PRESS

OR

Now: BUTTON, BUTTON, SWIPE, not there... BUTTON, SWIPE, PRESS
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that it has some form of multitasking im guessing task manager apps will be made by developers now. Thats of course if Apple dont reject it being on the store.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »
    iPhone multi-tasking is dodgy!

I have studied computers long enough to know that the more files you have open, the slower the computer becomes.

Before OS4, I was blissfully unaware that my iPhone was doing things in the background. All I knew was, it ran pretty fast and did what I wanted.

Now, my iPhone is slow and jumpy. I open multi-tasking and see that around 12 programs are running. I close them all... but they'll be back again. Deleting each one now is becoming a daily event. As for actually multi-tasking, I think it took fewer steps clicks before.

Before: BUTTON, SWIPE, PRESS
    Now: BUTTON, BUTTON, SWIPE, PRESS

OR

Now: BUTTON, BUTTON, SWIPE, not there... BUTTON, SWIPE, PRESS

The Apps arn't actually running in the background though, the OS has just stored the Apps state in memory so it can quickly load it up. Only a few features can actually run in the background such as Music and GPS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    massive news, angry birds now supports ios4 multitasking... so between toilet breaks at work you wont loose that progress.

seems a few apps a day are updating to support ios4, or at least of the ones I have. slow process, I mean, developers aside, apple have to reapprove every update too, thats a lot of approvals!
  • dontpannicdontpannic Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »
    Now, my iPhone is slow and jumpy. I open multi-tasking and see that around 12 programs are running.

The apps are NOT open and they are NOT running. The apps in the multitasking tray have thier states saved so that they can resume quickly. The only things that are allowed to carry on running are GPS streams or music streams, which are indicated by an icon on the status bar.
  • fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    I have a 3G and since upgrading earlier today it keeps telling me I have emails in my inbox and when I go in there is nothing at the top but when I scroll down there are loads of emails dated 1/1/1970 with no sender and no subject and I can't open or delete them....
  • mjdj1689mjdj1689 Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wondering if anyone know how you can have a pin lock for your sim card on the i phone i don't mean the simple passcode that comes on after a minute the one to unlock so you can make calls

Thanx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mjdj1689 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone know how you can have a pin lock for your sim card on the i phone i don't mean the simple passcode that comes on after a minute the one to unlock so you can make calls

Thanx

Settings > Phone > SIM PIN

you can then enable/disable it and set a pin code.

easy :)
  • fi~fi~ Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    For any disgruntled 3G owners wondering why multitasking and other features are not available to you, this article helped answer my questions: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/06/22/inside_ios_4_missing_features_for_iphone_3g_users.html&page=1
    i sat last night and found a jailbreak for a 3g which lets you multi task and also wallpapers
    and having used it since then it works ok for me bit sluggish with some aps and some that doesnt work with multi tasking at the moment