✭✭
    Dr. Katz
  • jette52jette52 Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    justified
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently really enjoying Scandal - and it's a "scandal" that it is so underrated and not more popular.

I'm also catching up on Breaking Bad. I failed to get into it the first time I watched but now I'm hooked and I'm working my way through the seasons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Justified
    The Walking Dead
    Supernatural
  • DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    If your into gangster type shows i.e corruption then try Boss starring Kelsey Grammer, it ran for two seasons but has now been cancelled, just started watching The Following & Cult but there more thriller suspense shows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cow mad wrote: »
    Justified
    The Walking Dead
    Supernatural

I liked the first season of The Walking Dead but gave up halfway through S2 when nothing seemed to be happening.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    I liked the first season of The Walking Dead but gave up halfway through S2 when nothing seemed to be happening.
    Nothing was happening, it turned into a character development piece for half a season.... It improved for the finale. (I've not seen any of season 3, I normally watch on Channel 5)
  • OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taxi. "Taxi," I say. I say, "Taxi" because I have to post at least 5 characters. So, just to be sure, I repeat: Taxi.

You should watch "Taxi".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breaking Bad is for me the best US series around. Better than the Sopranos and the Wire in my opinion, though others might disagree. Netflix + Breaking Bad is a dangerous combination.
  • EESuperFanEESuperFan Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday Night Lights
    Revenge
    Homeland
    Covert Affairs
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Walking Dead
    Alcatraz
    The Big Bang Theory
    CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
    CSI: New York
    Person of Interest
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing was happening, it turned into a character development piece for half a season.... It improved for the finale. (I've not seen any of season 3, I normally watch on Channel 5)

I'm on Episode 10 of the second season and am really enjoying it. I agree it is becoming more and more about the characters but it is still brilliant! Am really enjoying it, and will be tuning in for when it returns on Channel 5. Does anyone know when Channel 5 will be screening the third season?
  • bazzaboy45bazzaboy45 Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Weetibix wrote: »
    I cannot understand how this wasn't picked up by a UK channel
    - it's just the best US series I have ever seen.
    Can't wait for the final 8 episodes but it will be so sad to see it end

It was originally picked up by FX which got decent figures. Then 5 USA took the rights aired Season 1 wen't happy with the fugures so buried season 2
    Forum Member
    bazzaboy45 wrote: »
    It was originally picked up by FX which got decent figures. Then 5 USA took the rights aired Season 1 wen't happy with the fugures so buried season 2

If it had got decent figures on FX they wouldn't have let 5 outbid them for exclusive season 2 rights...
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    If it had got decent figures on FX they wouldn't have let 5 outbid them for exclusive season 2 rights...

True. Somewhere -- I forget just where -- someone posted the viewer numbers for the broadcast of the first episode of Breaking Bad on the UK's FX channel, and also posted the viewer numbers for the first episodes of several other US cable series on FX. The Breaking Bad numbers were not just low, but very low compared to the numbers for all the other shows listed. I don't think it is hard to see why the premise would not be "inviting." As soon as people see the words "man dying of cancer" in a description of a show, there is a disinclination to say "That sounds like it will be a fun bit of TV.":D
  • kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breaking Bad is a absolute must watch imo

+1; BB even tops The West Wing and The Wire for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    True. Somewhere -- I forget just where -- someone posted the viewer numbers for the broadcast of the first episode of Breaking Bad on the UK's FX channel, and also posted the viewer numbers for the first episodes of several other US cable series on FX. The Breaking Bad numbers were not just low, but very low compared to the numbers for all the other shows listed. I don't think it is hard to see why the premise would not be "inviting." As soon as people see the words "man dying of cancer" in a description of a show, there is a disinclination to say "That sounds like it will be a fun bit of TV.":D

A good point, although it probably has more to do with marketing. It's been a hit in the US, but to be honest I wasn't even aware it existed until about a year ago when a friend mentioned it. I certainly didn't know it was on TV over here - compare it to something like Game of Thrones which was marketed extremely well by Sky before it was shown.
    Forum Member
    bunk_medal wrote: »
    A good point, although it probably has more to do with marketing. It's been a hit in the US, but to be honest I wasn't even aware it existed until about a year ago when a friend mentioned it. I certainly didn't know it was on TV over here - compare it to something like Game of Thrones which was marketed extremely well by Sky before it was shown.

I didn't know about Game of Thrones till after it aired (then I don't have Sky, so watch on BD - Season 2 is out soon, can't wait :D )

It's very hard to market a show about guy who gets cancer and becomes a drug dealer, there aren't really any clips you could use that would make sense and be suitable for adverts during the day. Then there's the possibly not being able to broadcast till 10PM at night (Ofcom can be unpredictable, I'm amazed they let Homeland and GoT go out uncut at 9)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't know about Game of Thrones till after it aired (then I don't have Sky, so watch on BD - Season 2 is out soon, can't wait :D )

It's very hard to market a show about guy who gets cancer and becomes a drug dealer, there aren't really any clips you could use that would make sense and be suitable for adverts during the day. Then there's the possibly not being able to broadcast till 10PM at night (Ofcom can be unpredictable, I'm amazed they let Homeland and GoT go out uncut at 9)

Yeah, Breaking Bad is a tough sell and it took me a while to get into it, but once you do it's fantastic with some very dark humour.

I tried GoT but I struggled with it. It's clearly a quality production but I just found it hard to work out who everyone was and what their relationships are. It's not something you can watch with your brain turned off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    The Walking Dead
    It's Always Sunny In Philidelphia
    New Girl
    Bones
    Game Of Thrones
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know, to be honest Game of Thrones is probably more unpleasant than Breaking Bad - incestual relationships, killing babies, pushing kids out a window, beheading main characters, etc. A bit of drug dealing is child's play in comparison!
  • JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you've never watched The Sopranos then that should definitely be top of your list.

Then The Wire.

Also:
    Mad Men
    Deadwood
    Breaking Bad
    Boardwalk Empire

A lot of thumbs up for Breaking Bad so I will give that show a go before moving onto Sopranos.

Amazed at the quality of shows in the States.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JaiJai wrote: »

You'll find that almost all of the shows recommended are from the "Premium Cable" channels. The quality of shows on Network TV is pretty low at the moment. The cable channels aren't so dependent on advertising income so can afford to take more chances with their programming and they aren't subject to the same regulations as the main channels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JaiJai wrote: »

I much prefer US shows to UK shows...
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would agree about West Wing being one of the best shows ever but will hoy the caveat in that you need to be in to politics and have a understanding of the way things work to really enjoy it imo

Completely disagree. What is brilliant about West Wing is you don't need an understanding of either US politics or US society as its as much about charachters as the setting. You will however come out of it with a knowledge of both and care about both without the writers talking down to you.

Its the same with Friday Night Lights. You don't need an understanding of American Football or even care about it for the same reasons but you will come away with an understanding and appreciation of the sport.

Sadly in both cases its something that seems to put a lot of viewers off, especially in the UK