Kraftwerk: Pop Art 10pm BBC4

2»

Comments

• tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC really should have done a Tangerine Dream documentary by now. They were also pioneers in electronic music. Sadly with Edgar Froese passing away recently they have probably missed their opportunity.

The BBC "Krautrock" documentary some years ago was good but needed individual episodes for the major players in the movement.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tangsman wrote: »
    The BBC really should have done a Tangerine Dream documentary by now. They were also pioneers in electronic music. Sadly with Edgar Froese passing away recently they have probably missed their opportunity.

The BBC "Krautrock" documentary some years ago was good but needed individual episodes for the major players in the movement.

Get this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kraftwerk-Electronic-Revolution-DVD-NTSC/dp/B001BTOE0Q/

Three hours long with coverage of all the German bands, not just Kraftwerk.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snafu65 wrote: »
    There's no doubt they were groundbreaking and had a huge influence on electronic music but I've always found their music cold and emotionless personally, although this was probably intentional. .

I find this a very odd comment. Have you listened to the words? Full of quite tender emotions about longing, beauty and sadness. The electronic instrumentation too can be very sweet and warm, like Neon Lights for example.
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find this a very odd comment. Have you listened to the words? Full of quite tender emotions about longing, beauty and sadness. The electronic instrumentation too can be very sweet and warm, like Neon Lights for example.

It's just my opinion, I haven't listened to a lot of Kraftwerk admittedly because I was never taken with the stuff I have heard, so maybe I'm doing them a disservice.
  • jet soundsjet sounds Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    I have been a big fan of theirs over the years and had some rare vinyls which sadly had to go when my marriage ended.
    Saw them live in Southampton in 1981 on the Computerworld tour.....I was totally blown away, and I must say...Ithink I prefer their live performances from that era as they were so much raw and less slick as they are nowadays.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd think the Beeb would've followed up the doco with a live concert instead of Synth Britannia for the umpteenth time. Surely the BBC4 budget could've stretched to that?

Long past time that we had a multi-disc set of all their remixes and alternate versions as well. Hutter's so hell-bent on maintaining the mystique that he seems to view this as something that should be repressed along with all their videos.
  • jonm01jonm01 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJ Jimmy wrote: »
    They are remarkable, especially as they're 'just standing behind keyboards' ;)
    Their set-up is really interesting these days (if you are as nerdy as I am :) )
    This is a good example of how they work these days. This was last week, it shows each member's desk and how they operate. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b16s210t0pk

Wow, always wondered what was actually behind the desks so great to see that. I saw them live last year and it's so slick it's easy to imagine they are just pretending to do stuff (EDM DJ style) whilst the tracks play. Would be good for someone technical who could explain what each guy ya is doing.
  • DJ JimmyDJ Jimmy Posts: 7,166
    Forum Member
    jonm01 wrote: »
    Wow, always wondered what was actually behind the desks so great to see that. I saw them live last year and it's so slick it's easy to imagine they are just pretending to do stuff (EDM DJ style) whilst the tracks play. Would be good for someone technical who could explain what each guy ya is doing.

I always had faith that most was live but I had no idea how much is actually performed live. Having watched a few of the videos on there, the setup looks really interesting. I've worked out what a few bits they use are, but this gives a lot better detail than I can!

http://www.electriccafe.info/forum/index.php/topic/4247-kraftwerk-consoles-revealed/#entry16428
  • tivtiv Posts: 2,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b050rbzb

All we need now are hour long shows on Numan, Foxx, Telex and Yellow Magic Orchestra!

And Tangerine Dream!
  • davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^^ Also Neu! and Can.
  • Fireball XL5Fireball XL5 Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much as I love Kraftwerk the programme was spoilt for me to a large extent by the inclusion of that pretentious prick Paul Morley.

Why does he have to be interviewed in any documentary to do with music or culture? What exactly has he done apart from write for the NME (in the same pseudo-intellectual style as he speaks), and why does he persist in having permanent five-day old stubble? He's been like this since the mid 80s, for God's sake.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, he was a prime-mover at ZTT and if he was good enough for Claudia Brucken to put up with then I'm always willing to hear him out. However it wasn't his finest hour I'll admit.....
  • StaffsyeomanStaffsyeoman Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw them in Manchester on the 81 tour too - they were momentarily trendy due to 'The Model' - and I was at the Brixton Academy gig too, when The Mix had come out. My abiding memory of that night was, as the lights came up on the robots, a young female hipster type leant over my shoulder and yelled "Whoooooo hoooooooh! Show us your schnitzels!" Not quite the type of KW fandom I was expecting...
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tangsman wrote: »

I like his solo stuff more than the music with them.

And with Kraftwerk I like some things (such as the Man Machine album) but find some of their other music boring.

Away from all the hype and supposed importance of 'influence' I just rate music that sounds good to my ears, the best way surely.