A thread for the neutrals...

Comments

• NiteOwl12NiteOwl12 Posts: 6,127
    Forum Member
    United playing like a team who will be challenging for the title next season. City playing like a team who have too many players past their sell-by date and some, like Navas, who simply are not up to the job.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really hope Chelski screw up, nearly did today.

I think the recent era of Chelsea and City dominating the game has been pretty dull to watch, would love to see Arsenal sneak it, or Man U.

(Fulham fan here)

Last time Chelsea won the title: 2010
    Last time Man U won the title: 2013
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chelsea have already WON the title, they did so ages ago, they're not gonna lose that many points
  • zielerzieler Posts: 8,038
    Forum Member
    jenzie wrote: »
    chelsea have already WON the title, they did so ages ago, they're not gonna lose that many points

They haven't WON it yet. They are heavy favourites but with United, Arsenal, Liverpool and the in form Crystal Palace to come, it isn't over for certain.
  • Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aguero, the only City player today showing passion in my opinion. Feel bad for him, getting two goals, but his team has lost.

Well done to Man UTD though, they were the better team today and deserved their win.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the recent era of Chelsea and City dominating the game has been pretty dull to watch, would love to see Arsenal sneak it, or Man U.

(Fulham fan here)

Was it exciting when United or Arsenal were winning the title every season ? I don't think so, much better with 4,5, or even 6 teams in the running..in my opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the way that Pellegrini refuses to blame refereeing errors for losses. Every other manager seems to prefer to focus on mistakes of referees than those of his own players after losses. I'll miss that if he gets sacked and another excuse monger comes in.

I think it would be harsh to sack him anyway because he's been dealt a poor hand by those who have control of the transfer dealings.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People still say 'Chelski'?
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Pellegrini doesn't have any say in signings though does he, the failures there are down to Txiki and co.

Probably so but will they both fall on their swords?
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the competitions thread there was one in August where we had to pick the top 4 at four different dates throughout this season but I cannot find it now. I may have had it this way, does, anyone know the link for it?
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the competitions thread there was one in August where we had to pick the top 4 at four different dates throughout this season but I cannot find it now. I may have had it this way, does, anyone know the link for it?

There you go:)

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1996302
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Well, it looks like we will end with the top 4 I've stuck with all season, if not the final actual order. Chelsea 1st is looking fine, but Man City 2nd - hmm.

I certainly reckon that if Man City don't secure a top 3 finish Pellegrini is a goner. Not securing a definite Champions League group place on top of no trophies this season and exit in the last 16 of this year's Champions League ( having done a Houdini act to get that far ) will seal his fate.
  • hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soapfan678 wrote: »
    Pardew's tactics were awful and his man management was terrible. He came out with some ridiculous excuses when Newcastle lost and embarrassed the club. He was a negative manager. John Carver isn't great either, but he is only temp. He seems to be better at man management though and does not seem as negative, or uses daft excuses when Newcastle do lose. He will be out after Summer and someone else will take over.

doesn't seem to be doing to badly with palace
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    hunter23 wrote: »

Yep, and did a lot better at Newcastle this season than they've done since he left.

There is a huge difference in points comparing Pardew's record at Newcastle and Palace as against Palace pre Pardew plus Newcastle post Pardew.
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Title race over and City's run in is as soft as can be so top 4 is done and dusted more or less too.

Lets hope for relegation drama!

(Fulham fan here)

???
    NiteOwl12 wrote: »
    United playing like a team who will be challenging for the title next season. City playing like a team who have too many players past their sell-by date and some, like Navas, who simply are not up to the job.

You'd think so. Though plenty had Pool down for major league contenders for this year after last season too. Way too early to speculate. As good as United are playing they've had a lot of howlers all year
    jenzie wrote: »

Definitely, it's a complete done deal after today
    celesti wrote: »
    People still say 'Chelski'?

it makes me cringe tbh
    Sattrega wrote: »
    He's as good as gone. It's a matter of when, now.

Certainly
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    indiana44 wrote: »
    Yep, and did a lot better at Newcastle this season than they've done since he left.

There is a huge difference in points comparing Pardew's record at Newcastle and Palace as against Palace pre Pardew plus Newcastle post Pardew.

That whole 'SackPardew.com' campaign is looking dafter and dafter by the day. He may be n arrogant toss pot but he's good PL manager and Newcastle will struggle to find anyone better for their size and budget.

If Burnley end up getting relegated then I'm struggling to see a better candidate for manager of the year than Pardew.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Though plenty had Pool down for major league contenders for this year after last season too.

That's not how I remember it. Obviously once Suarez was sold no one was predicting a title challenge but even before that I think the general sense during the run in was that this was a one season deal for Liverpool and Gerrard's only shot at a title because others would be better this season. That was a big part of the narrative in the final weeks of last season and why Gerrard's slip was so desperate for him.
    Forum Member
    That's not how I remember it. Obviously once Suarez was sold no one was predicting a title challenge but even before that I think the general sense during the run in was that this was a one season deal for Liverpool and Gerrard's only shot at a title because others would be better this season. That was a big part of the narrative in the final weeks of last season and why Gerrard's slip was so desperate for him.

There were loads saying sure they've such a young squad they'll be challenging for next few years.. Granted it might have been mainly optimistic Pool fans

Yes this was before selling Suarez but sure what if Utd sold Rooney, Di Maria etc. unlikely but it's imprudent to go making solid predictions before August 31st
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    There were loads saying sure they've such a young squad they'll be challenging for next few years.. Granted it might have been mainly optimistic Pool fans

Yes this was before selling Suarez but sure what if Utd sold Rooney, Di Maria etc. unlikely but it's imprudent to go making solid predictions before August 31st

The only topic I recall predicting Liverpool to go on to dominate was made by Thomas007, a Man United fan. Others either thought it meant Liverpool could go on to challenge some more, provided they made the top four, some saying it was a one-off and some saying we just need to get in the top four this season and push on next season. And those saying such things weren't only Liverpool fans.
    Forum Member
    TheMunch wrote: »
    The only topic I recall predicting Liverpool to go on to dominate was made by Thomas007, a Man United fan. Others either thought it meant Liverpool could go on to challenge some more, provided they made the top four, some saying it was a one-off and some saying we just need to get in the top four this season and push on next season. And those saying such things weren't only Liverpool fans.

I'm not talking about here, I visit the soccer forum f all on this really

ANyhow I'm not getting into a tit for tat on it I don't really give a sh1t :)
  • carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,036
    Forum Member

(Fulham fan here)

Oh well, never mind, eh? At least you've had Fulham's scrap for Championship survival to keep you enthralled this season. ;-)
  • Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hunter23 wrote: »

First season. He is a lucky manager so far. He had one good season at Newcastle, then it went wrong for him. I still do not rate him as a Manager. He has no man management skills at all, plays his favourites and neglects the rest. He also comes across as the most arrogant man Manager in the Premier League.
  • DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Man Utd and Arsenal didn't have such a terrible start to the season it would have been an exciting 3 horse race.

Van Gaal is excused though as he is new to the premier league and had to bed in a lot of new players though even I could have told him that Mata should be an automatic start.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That whole 'SackPardew.com' campaign is looking dafter and dafter by the day. He may be n arrogant toss pot but he's good PL manager and Newcastle will struggle to find anyone better for their size and budget.

If Burnley end up getting relegated then I'm struggling to see a better candidate for manager of the year than Pardew.

Oh yea? Really?

Pardew was a bad cog in a club that was and remains in a very dark place! The fact is his record after one good season was never good enough! And for the record he never sacked him in the end, he walked!

You just try being a Newcastle fan over the last 2 to 3 years and then see how hot Pardew is. It's not just Newcastle... North east football I'm general is in a poor place!

And yet Pardew is the bees knees! I don't buy it!
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    spare a thought for Chris Ramsey. Nearly got a point against Chelsea, and had to take over the sinking ship from Harry Redknapp.
    I hope both QPR and Hull stay up, but doubt it.
This discussion has been closed.