Aunt Bessies Roasties

StrakerStraker Posts: 79,622
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone else noticed these now come in a MASSIVE bag (same weight of contents as previously), the potatoes are tiny and the crispy batter they used to be coated in is now not very crispy at all?

Why do these companies have to **** around with a winning recipe?

Comments

• noise747noise747 Posts: 30,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horrid things anyway, like most frozen roasters. Peel a couple of spuds, cut them, par boil them and then stick then in the oven. Unless there is a physical reason why you can't.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aunt Bessie's are just horrible. The Aldi goose fat ones are worth trying, although some are too small and virtually turn into crisps.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, not really looking for recipe tips or critique just comment on the topic at hand.

Feel free to start another thread though.....
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Anyone else noticed these now come in a MASSIVE bag (same weight of contents as previously), the potatoes are tiny and the crispy batter they used to be coated in is now not very crispy at all?

Why do these companies have to **** around with a winning recipe?

Plenty of marketing BS at play with Aunt Bessies!

4 different types of roast potatoes, and they have also changed the names. There are now -

Crispy Homestyle roasties in batter (sunflower oil)

(mini and Garlic versions of the above)

Roast potatoes basted in Duck fat - these are crispier imo and the ones my guys like!

Someone's thought what can we do with all the left over ends and small potatoes - I know let's call them "mid-week" roasties! (well before they changed the name to "minis" :)
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roast potatoes basted in Duck fat - these are crispier imo and the ones my guys like!

Yeah, tried those last year - Pretty nice but my Waitrose didn't seem to consistently have stock.
    Someone's thought what can we do with all the left over ends and small potatoes - I know let's call them "mid-week" roasties! (well before they changed the name to "minis" :)

Bloody con-merchants.
  • CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The midweek ones are quite ok!
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CherylFan wrote: »
    The midweek ones are quite ok!

I was just about to say that. I use the midweek ones fairly regularly and they are delicious. I never liked the larger roast potatoes as I thought they were fairly dry.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Aunt Bessie's roasties. They're so handy. Can't say that I've noticed any difference unlike McCains Chunky Cut chips which seem to betting smaller by the minute. I'm sure it's a ploy to bring out the old 'Chunky Cut' under the new name of 'Chunky Cut Plus' at some stage.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty of marketing BS at play with Aunt Bessies!

4 different types of roast potatoes, and they have also changed the names. There are now -

Crispy Homestyle roasties in batter (sunflower oil)

(mini and Garlic versions of the above)

Duck fat is always better, so is goose fat, depending on the quality of it.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Yeah, not really looking for recipe tips or critique just comment on the topic at hand.
    Oh, okay. No.