Why do people hate One Direction?

Comments

• zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    annushka wrote: »
    It's very obvious the BSB have not listened to it when they say that...
    The 1D boys obviously didn't know the words of the song apart from 1 of them, and just knew the melody a bit (& might not have heard the song in years), I thought only 2 of them sang it anyway.

Anyway, it's from the "twitter questions" part of the show: this part is about interacting with the public.
    The twitter questions can be anything: actual questions or dares to do something, such as this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig60K20KwrA (swimming on stage). It's the comedic part of the show.

I don't understand why anyone would judge them on that, but they can if they feel like it. However, it will be pretty inaccurate IMO.

Again, I understand this is the comedic part of the show. However, just because it is, that doesn't mean they shouldn't sing the song good.

And they also weren't good at singing Celine Dion and they actually knew the song and most of the words, so it is not the reason that they didn't know BSB song very well.

I am not judging their singing overall on these comedic performances, but it does show they can't be vocally spontaneous - all I'm saying is that I expected they could harmonize a song without heavy practice - but I guess I was wrong.

However, why would it be inaccurate to judge something like this? It is very clear these are not good vocal performances so why not say so? It takes time and practice to get very good at harmonizing without practice. I still think they should harmonize more and practice.

But I only posted this because I find it ridiculous that BSB actually said 1D had done a great job.
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zeze88 wrote: »
    Again, I understand this is the comedic part of the show. However, just because it is, that doesn't mean they shouldn't sing the song good.

And they also weren't good at singing Celine Dion and they actually knew the song and most of the words, so it is not the reason that they didn't know BSB song very well.

I am not judging their singing overall on these comedic performances, but it does show they can't be vocally spontaneous - all I'm saying is that I expected they could harmonize a song without heavy practice - but I guess I was wrong.

However, why would it be inaccurate to judge something like this? It is very clear these are not good vocal performances so why not say so? It takes time and practice to get very good at harmonizing without practice. I still think they should harmonize more and practice.

But I only posted this because I find it ridiculous that BSB actually said 1D had done a great job.

I suppose that we will have to agree to disagree on certain points which is fine by me :)
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,143
    Forum Member
    Thing is it's going a bit fast for them. But in terms of their music, they should know well enough to know that they'll have to graduate from the teen pop they do at the moment, in the future.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Thing is it's going a bit fast for them. But in terms of their music, they should know well enough to know that they'll have to graduate from the teen pop they do at the moment, in the future.

I completely agree with this - no one will take them seriously if they continue doing teen pop. They still might have young fanbase, but they will grow up as well and that won't work any more.

They should mature more with the 3rd album but who knows if that will happen. I have seen the headline that their album will be edgier and more mature, but they have said the exact same thing with their 2nd album and they haven't made any progress that is significant. I mean, you can't claim that and then release a song like Live While We're Young.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member

They don't know anything about music how should they mature? Are you joking?
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

Trouble is all their songs sound the same. Once you've heard one song you've heard them all. There is nothing unique or original about their music whatsoever.
  • CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..Anybody wise enough and old enough should know that One Direction are approximately 10 minutes into their 15 minutes of fame. Don't believe me?

bump this thread in 2017 and see who is talking about them then.
  • andi84andi84 Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..Anybody wise enough and old enough should know that One Direction are approximately 10 minutes into their 15 minutes of fame. Don't believe me?

bump this thread in 2017 and see who is talking about them then.

I think the boys would be more than happy to have a career into 2017 ;) That would be 7 years since X Factor, 6 years since What Makes You Beautiful.
    And I always like to remind everybody that many people weren't even expecting them to have a hit record at all in the first place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I completely agree with this - no one will take them seriously if they continue doing teen pop. They still might have young fanbase, but they will grow up as well and that won't work any more.

They should mature more with the 3rd album but who knows if that will happen. I have seen the headline that their album will be edgier and more mature, but they have said the exact same thing with their 2nd album and they haven't made any progress that is significant. I mean, you can't claim that and then release a song like Live While We're Young.

I think Live While We're Young (which I'm not really fond of...) is like the link between the two albums. And it was used for the Pepsi commercial, that's why they had to release it first. But the rest of the album is indeed a bit different from the first one, I'd say. Not massively, but that couldn't be expected. No band (well, almost no band) changes their sound completely from one album to another.

But you're right, if they claim their next album is going to be "edgier and more mature", one needs to hear a bigger difference from album 2 to album 3. We'll see :)

And they're a boyband after all, so you can't expect them to be popular for 10+ years...
  • CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andi84 wrote: »
    I think the boys would be more than happy to have a career into 2017 ;) That would be 7 years since X Factor, 6 years since What Makes You Beautiful.
    And I always like to remind everybody that many people weren't even expecting them to have a hit record at all in the first place.

Wasn't expected that Leona Lewis would have global domination also, even that is now coming to an end.

The shelf life of these manufactured pop acts is so short and history tells us this..

Just ask Another Level, Damage, 5ive, A1, Blazin Squad and a host of others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't expected that Leona Lewis would have global domination also, even that is now coming to an end.

The shelf life of these manufactured pop acts is so short and history tells us this..

Just ask Another Level, Damage, 5ive, A1, Blazin Squad and a host of others.

At least Leona Lewis and One Direction had worldwide hits (not just USA and UK) which can't really be said of the acts you mentioned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Live While We're Young (which I'm not really fond of...) is like the link between the two albums. And it was used for the Pepsi commercial, that's why they had to release it first. But the rest of the album is indeed a bit different from the first one, I'd say. Not massively, but that couldn't be expected. No band (well, almost no band) changes their sound completely from one album to another.

But you're right, if they claim their next album is going to be "edgier and more mature", one needs to hear a bigger difference from album 2 to album 3. We'll see :)

And they're a boyband after all, so you can't expect them to be popular for 10+ years...

That is why I said they haven't made progress that was significant, which means I acknowledge that is a bit bit different.

And don't get me wrong, when I commented their lead single, I didn't comment on the song itself. I just meant they shouldn't be talking about edgier and more mature album and then do songs like that one or Kiss You. I listened to the album once on Youtube just so I could see why all the fuss and if they meant what they said. Well, there is nothing mature in the songs I mentioned, or Heart Attack, Come On or that Mcfly song when they sing about 27 tattoos - I mean, really?:D

They should at least get rid of that nanana bit which is getting really old and childish and the lyrics like "make them drool on their chiny chin chins - without things like that, they would already be considered more mature.

And I agree with cnbcwatcher - their uptempos all sound too similar to one another.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least Leona Lewis and One Direction had worldwide hits (not just USA and UK) which can't really be said of the acts you mentioned.

I think people shouldn't forget that at the time when those bands existed, there wasn't X Factor or social media like Youtube, Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr. I think 1D had it A LOT easier to break US and the rest of the world because of the social media. Even the boys admitted that themselves. You simply can't know what would have happened to A1 or 5ive for example had there been Youtube or Twitter in the 90s - at the time where boyband era was in it's peak.
    Forum Member
    The uptempo's may sound much the same, with the 'Oh-oh-oh' or 'Na-na-na's in the middle of the song. However, hearing acoustic versions is as good, or sometimes better. 'Rock Me' is actually pretty good and should have been released as a single. Gotta Be You just didn't seem to work even though it was slightly different.

Their ballads do differentiate sometimes. The one song that does annoy me from the second album is 'Truly, Madly, Deeply' in the sense that I can't hear any harmony in the chorus.

When you say they don't know anything about music, i think they've been in the business long enough to learn a thing or two. A matter of them can play guitar (well, two of them) and particularly many of them have been singing from a young age.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Trouble is all their songs sound the same. Once you've heard one song you've heard them all. There is nothing unique or original about their music whatsoever.

I don't hate "One Direction" - I'm sure they're nice guys- but
    their music just doesn't interest me. Mind you, I'm a 34 year-old Straight guy, so I'm not in any of the OD fan demographics...
    Forum Member
    The uptempo's may sound much the same, with the 'Oh-oh-oh' or 'Na-na-na's in the middle of the song. However, hearing acoustic versions is as good, or sometimes better. 'Rock Me' is actually pretty good and should have been released as a single. Gotta Be You just didn't seem to work even though it was slightly different.

Their ballads do differentiate sometimes. The one song that does annoy me from the second album is 'Truly, Madly, Deeply' in the sense that I can't hear any harmony in the chorus.

When you say they don't know anything about music, i think they've been in the business long enough to learn a thing or two. A matter of them can play guitar (well, two of them) and particularly many of them have been singing from a young age.

That's a matter of fact and that is the big problem. The sooner they disappear the better for mankind.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think people shouldn't forget that at the time when those bands existed, there wasn't X Factor or social media like Youtube, Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr. I think 1D had it A LOT easier to break US and the rest of the world because of the social media. Even the boys admitted that themselves. You simply can't know what would have happened to A1 or 5ive for example had there been Youtube or Twitter in the 90s - at the time where boyband era was in it's peak.

Yes I agree with you and 1D really were the first X Factor act to utilise social media but it can't all be just around social media as their success is streets ahead of the Wanted who also had social media.

If it was so easy to maufacture a
    successful boy band every manager in the country would be out their trying to do the same and for every successful boy band that makes it to the top there must be masses that never see the light of day or fall at the first hurdle. If I knew what the magic ingredient was I would be out there putting a boyband together but I don't :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    Yes I agree with you and 1D really were the first X Factor act to utilise social media but it can't all be just around social media as their success is streets ahead of the Wanted who also had social media.

If it was so easy to maufacture a
    successful boy band every manager in the country would be out their trying to do the same and for every successful boy band that makes it to the top there must be masses that never see the light of day or fall at the first hurdle. If I knew what the magic ingredient was I would be out there putting a boyband together but I don't :D

Of course it isn't just about social media. I will just say what I said the other day in another thread:

of course it has to do also with carefree pop songs that instantly get into your head and the boy's personalities. Not to mention the amazing promo Simon has done for them.

I am just saying that they had it lot easier to crack America because of social networks - thanks to them, they could have easily interacted with their fans. And also, their fans shared the Youtube videos of them around the world.

Older boybands couldn't do any of that - they had to go to each country, doing radio shows, small gigs... they were lucky if they had a slot on TRL :)
    Forum Member
    The one issue they have with their songs, is that there is no mass/universal appeal. Maybe What Makes You Beautiful is an exception, as many non-fans, and people from different age groups, have stated that it is a good pop song, and the 300 million views + on YouTube can't have all been from teenage girls. But they can't carry on with teen pop, they need to branch out and appeal to the older audience. Their more recent songs, yes they are catchy, but lyrically they aren't great and they do sometimes sound over produced (e.g, Live While We're Young). It was refreshing to hear Little Things but again, some of the lyrics just didn't click and just kind of felt silly, a bit like 'chinny-chin-chins' in Kiss You.

Boybands like Take That have brought out songs that are catchy, not over-produced and at the least show off their harmonies. With the amount of teen pop songs that 1D have brought out, you could mistake them for an American band if you put on one of their songs without having any knowledge of their background.

I read somewhere that they have done their third album already. I'm not sure how it'll turn out - I doubt they would have co-wrote any material but it would be great if they did at least have some input, or more input than they had in the first two albums.
    Forum Member
    Maybe Simon Cowell loses interest in One Direction now that he has got his new toy Little Mix who are succesful in the US. So One Direction might disappear soon.
    Forum Member
    Maybe Simon Cowell loses interest in One Direction now that he has got his new toy Little Mix who are succesful in the US. So One Direction might disappear soon.

New toy?

Who do you like?

Little Mix have achieved a good chart position in the US. Nothing to suggests Simon's putting anyone over anyone.
    Forum Member
    New toy?

Who do you like?

Little Mix have achieved a good chart position in the US. Nothing to suggests Simon's putting anyone over anyone.
    Simon Cowell is not interested in music but only in fame and money. His artists are just like his cars, when he gets a new Ferrari the old one isn't interesting any more. First he got Leona Lewis, then he lost interest because he got Susan Boyle, then he lost interest because he had One Direction, now he has Little Mix and might lose interest in One Direction. His artists are only interesting as long as the make huge money no matter how bad or embarrassing the music is they produce.

Simon Cowell stands for everything that is wrong in today's music business. That is another reason why his plastic artists are hated as much as he is hated by real music lovers.
    Forum Member
    But what exactly is 'real music'?
  • BluestoneBluestone Posts: 2,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think 1D had it A LOT easier to break US and the rest of the world because of the social media. Even the boys admitted that themselves. You simply can't know what would have happened to A1 or 5ive for example had there been Youtube or Twitter in the 90s - at the time where boyband era was in it's peak.

I think people under estimate the magic ingredients that make one direction so appealing internationally. If it wasn't for this, regardless of social media they wouldn't have transcended globally in the massive way that they have.

After all, there are other boy bands that were on twitter and YouTube. Lawson, the risk, the wanted. The Saturdays have YouTube videos weekly and were on twitter. UnionJ with their copycat tactics and THe wanted are still not making the same kind of an impact.

The fact is that the boys had great personalities/charm/chemistry and songs which were appealing.
    The one issue they have with their songs, is that there is no mass/universal appeal. Maybe What Makes You Beautiful is an exception, as many non-fans, and people from different age groups, have stated that it is a good pop song, and the 300 million views + on YouTube can't have all been from teenage girls. But they can't carry on with teen pop, they need to branch out and appeal to the older audience. Their more recent songs, yes they are catchy, but lyrically they aren't great and they do sometimes sound over produced (e.g, Live While We're Young). It was refreshing to hear Little Things but again, some of the lyrics just didn't click and just kind of felt silly, a bit like 'chinny-chin-chins' in Kiss You.

Boybands like Take That have brought out songs that are catchy, not over-produced and at the least show off their harmonies. With the amount of teen pop songs that 1D have brought out, you could mistake them for an American band if you put on one of their songs without having any knowledge of their background.

I read somewhere that they have done their third album already. I'm not sure how it'll turn out - I doubt they would have co-wrote any material but it would be great if they did at least have some input, or more input than they had in the first two albums.

I don't get why those that are not so keen on one direction always throw out this card about the quality of the songs. Teen Pop! I'm definitely not a teenager and I love their stuff. Also, what's the rush? They have plenty of time to move the sound on. I would actually suggest that it might be more contrived and disingenuous to do so so quickly on their second album as if only to appease the nay sayers.

For me its fair enough for them to make subtle changes with each album. At the moment they are still only 19 and 20 years old. They can get to a coldplay type sound when they hit 30 or in good time before then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluestone wrote: »
    UnionJ with their copycat tactics.

They're not similar at all. :rolleyes: