Options

Little Mix New Single - Black Magic

Comments

• Options
    casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's pure pop, which is actually quite refreshing. Pure pop is 'in' right now anyway, look at Taylor Swift, Carly Rae Jepsen, Meghan Trainor... bubbly, feel-good music. Or maybe I'm just old enough not to be embarrassed about liking happy pop music!

I have also noticed an age divide in opinions. 30+ embrace the Pop sound (the guitar reminds me more of lighter rock in the late 80s/early 90s) but the under 25s feel its "childish" and "bubblegum" and they want "dark". What does that mean anyway? Slower tempo?

When did Pop become a dirty word?
  • Options
    ~*~Jess~*~~*~Jess~*~ Posts: 4,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds ok actually - can definitely imagine myself drunkenly singing along to this :D. The thing with Little Mix imo, is Jesy and Perrie are utterly unlikeable.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have also noticed an age divide in opinions. 30+ embrace the Pop sound (the guitar reminds me more of lighter rock in the late 80s/early 90s) but the under 25s feel its "childish" and "bubblegum" and they want "dark". What does that mean anyway? Slower tempo?

I think the reason is that modern pop is overpopulated with artists and producers who can use technology but have very little pop sensibility. The chart is full of musically competent, quite structurally complex songs that are essentially vapid.
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member

Under 25s basically want Anaconda by Nicki Minaj. I.e. music for people who don't appreciate music.

Over 30s want "music". A melody, a catchy chorus. Basically a song. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have noticed that lately there seems to be an incomplete development of melody in popular songs, or else its sacrificed to a beat.

Here's the second very short teaser clip. It must be during the transformation. They look good.
    https://amp.twimg.com/v/95ab83a7-89de-4483-b019-8be6b941239f
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Black Magic video is here.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=MkElfR_NPBI

The 25+ crowd that has fond memories of Buffy, Sabrina and Charmed is loving this. New peak of #68 on US iTunes and rising.

Jade is a standout.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The video is really cute, the girls look fantastic. The song has really grown on me this past week as well.
  • Options
    ICON111ICON111 Posts: 3,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the song! It's a real guilty pleasure. Nice to be hearing LeighAnne taking more of a lead role in the group.
  • Options
    zeebre12zeebre12 Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds a but like a B Witched song, anyone else think?. I can imagine them singing it.
  • Options
    MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    I love it so much! Such a happy tune :)
  • Options
    Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love it so much! Such a happy tune :)

This! It's a fun track that is so happy and actually has a melody. Perfect feel good summer tune.
  • Options
    gettygetty Posts: 3,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zeebre12 wrote: »
    It sounds a but like a B Witched song, anyone else think?. I can imagine them singing it.

My first thought was this would have been a big hit for S Club Juniors, it's that type of happy poppy music, in a good way of course because that's what it is, a happy pop song for the younger fans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People like to think its for younger fans, but the most positive reactions have been from listeners who were around before 90s RnB hit it big. In other words, people who grew up with Pop. I think its this song and not Move after all that may expand LM to the general public.

Basically, what Hitstastic said at the top of this page.
  • Options
    siriusrosesiriusrose Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see this as a regression at all, it's just variety in their singles and this is one heck of a catchy song, I do agree with people who think the verses are on another level to the chorus, but it's all catchy and it's full of hooks. 'Move' is still my favourite from them, but I don't want them to constantly try and recreate it.
  • Options
    SpaceCakeSpaceCake Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Yuck.
  • Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are reading too much into this one single as an album indicator. Jess Glynne who they worked with described the songs she heard as "RnB that was fresh" whatever that means and the fans who got to hear another album track yesterday described that one as RnB.

Lol, can imagine her saying that. She is basically a Radio 1 Zane Lowe wet dream (even though he's not at Radio 1 anymore..).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am absolutely in love with this song!

It has been replaying in my head for days now, so that is only a good sign. However, I will say the overall sound is rather regressive for them as I would assume they would have gone down the 'Move' route with the sound on this album. But that is what keeps me so interested in them is that they keep changing up their sound.

I hope there's more RnB influences on the album itself, but this is a great catchy pop song! Would love to hear them do a full version of Pretty Girls since they had a hand in writing it :p
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zeebre12 wrote: »

Well check this out from the first page ..
    Listen to the chorus of the Little Mix song, now listen to this and tell me they're not very similiar :)

https://youtu.be/EOvMpND2OZY?t=70
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well check this out from the first page ..

I don't think John Parr sounds much like B*Witched to be honest.
    There is an 80s feel to Black Magic though, jaunty like Cyndi Lauper?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KillerJoe wrote: »
    I am absolutely in love with this song!

Would love to hear them do a full version of Pretty Girls since they had a hand in writing it :p

Yay!

They did do a brief bit of Pretty Girls on Capital, but I have a feeling their version is a lot different from the one that Iggy and Invisible Men wrote all over. For one thing they probably didnt forget a melody.
    http://www.capitalfm.com/artists/little-mix/news/instaoke-britney-spears-iggy-azalea/

I think they sounded better instantly harmonizing on Cheerleader. I'd like to hear them do some reggae.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    I don't think John Parr sounds much like B*Witched to be honest.
    There is an 80s feel to Black Magic though, jaunty like Cyndi Lauper?

I meant it sounds more like the John Parr record than something B*Witched would sing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some may find this interview DS just posted on their main pages interesting. This is an excerpt talking about the forthcoming album sound. They scrapped an entire album and went back to come up with what they have now.

Sound-wise did it change drastically, or was it just the songs?

Jade: "Yeah I think it did. Once we heard 'Black Magic' and a couple of other songs on the album, everything just took off and before we knew it we had an album ready, and it was so much more fun than what we had before. I think a lot of artists do this; when they're writing they think too much about what other people are doing and we got too wrapped up in trying to make sure things were cool and R&B, and we just thought, 'Y'know what? Pop's great and it's happening at the minute, so this sounds better than anything else we've done.'"
    http://www.digitalspy.com/music/interviews/a650615/little-mix-interview-we-just-want-that-big-song-that-explodes-everywhere.html

So even though some listeners think the Pop direction is a step backwards, it seems like the girls thought retreading the Salute RnB sound was the step back. They have said this album is Prince influenced which sounds intriguing.

They talked about Pretty Girls too.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the upcoming album could potentially be better than Salute. I appreciate them not wanting to do the same thing every time they release an album, they seem sort of like the Sugababes in this respect, who always changed their sound with each record.
  • Options
    Tom_BasilTom_Basil Posts: 982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love it.

It makes me really sing along.

So catchy. This song makes me happy. :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So even though some listeners think the Pop direction is a step backwards, it seems like the girls thought retreading the Salute RnB sound was the step back. They have said this album is Prince influenced which sounds intriguing.

They talked about Pretty Girls too.

It's a step sideways ( or a jump to the left?) .....