Pantomime direction ruins Corrie's big week.

sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This week could have been one of Corrie's greatest. Instead we have pantomime direction. Liz is having a breakdown and Andrea and Sean play up like two pantomime dames, and to top it all off, Carl's stupid comment about the tragedy ruining his proposal.

Corrie just can't do drama. :(

Comments

• FlowesFlowes Posts: 6,968
    Forum Member
    Carl???
  • hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's called Kal by the way, not Carl.

Agree about the direction though, so many faults, plot holes, errors, cliches etc.

Some things include Leanne using the fire extinguisher... for all of 5 seconds, then throwing it away, even though that would have put most of it out... plus there was a second extinguisher in the corridor.
    Also her not calling the fire brigade when realising there was a fire.

Also the typical soap fire cliche of a roof beam crashing down over the exit... we've never seen that happen before!

On a slightly different note, why didn't Corrie use this as a chance to involve other residents who live in other flats? We know Nick, Sarah and Beth are in one flat, why not have them involved in this?

Such a shame as I was looking forward to this week, and thought Corrie would pull it out the bag, but this just proved what a mess Corrie truly is now.
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    He's called Kal by the way, not Carl.

Agree about the direction though, so many faults, plot holes, errors, cliches etc.

Some things include Leanne using the fire extinguisher... for all of 5 seconds, then throwing it away, even though that would have put most of it out... plus there was a second extinguisher in the corridor.
    Also her not calling the fire brigade when realising there was a fire.

Also the typical soap fire cliche of a roof beam crashing down over the exit... we've never seen that happen before!

On a slightly different note, why didn't Corrie use this as a chance to involve other residents who live in other flats? We know Nick, Sarah and Beth are in one flat, why not have them involved in this?

Such a shame as I was looking forward to this week, and thought Corrie would pull it out the bag, but this just proved what a mess Corrie truly is now.

My thoughts exactly. It would have made perfect sense to at the very least have Nick involved what with him living there and the current 'will-they-won't-they?' with Carla. The best 'disaster' plots are all about the raw reactions of the characters involved and how their relationships/storylines develop as a result. None of that to be found here. Even the stuff that led us to the fire was barely a storyline. Total shambles.
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's partly the direction. It's also the acting, writing, storylining, and production values. Or, more accurately, the lack of all the above.
  • LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even Stella banging on the window with a lampshade was better than tonight's farce.
  • Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kal.is wooden
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amy didn't even look that worried. She just put some pillows near the door and started coughing. No running to the window and banging on it to alert people on the street.
  • spungerspunger Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J-B wrote: »
    It's partly the direction. It's also the acting, writing, storylining, and production values. Or, more accurately, the lack of all the above.

The poorest big story they've done in a very long time. Even worse than dreadful ending for Tina
  • attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    big dan wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly. It would have made perfect sense to at the very least have Nick involved what with him living there and the current 'will-they-won't-they?' with Carla. The best 'disaster' plots are all about the raw reactions of the characters involved and how their relationships/storylines develop as a result. None of that to be found here. Even the stuff that led us to the fire was barely a storyline. Total shambles.

Nicks in Brimingham, but Sarah & Bethany are living there so where are they?
  • CatmittensCatmittens Posts: 1,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    attitude99 wrote: »
    Nicks in Brimingham, but Sarah & Bethany are living there so where are they?

Michael mentioned that the girls were at Audrey's in Grasmere Drive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Catmittens wrote: »

I realised that when I watched the episode again but thanks.
  • LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would they go and stay with Audrey when they could have Nick's flat to themselves?
  • ads84ads84 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member

How convenient? I thought no-one was allowed near Audrey's house for fear of being exposed to her damp patch? :o

Anyways, I can't describe how disappointing the whole thing has been. Someone from Corrie was quoted as saying that it would be bigger than the tram crash and the Rovers fire.
    Yeah, right.
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't remember when Corrie jumped ship, but it wasn't panto in the 90s. It's become more panto, farcical and dumbed down in the last 10-15 years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cooler wrote: »
    I can't remember when Corrie jumped ship, but it wasn't panto in the 90s. It's become more panto, farcical and dumbed down in the last 10-15 years.

It was fine until at least 2006 for me then it's gone downhill ever since.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awful episode, badly done. Too many fires. Also why is Tracy Barlow always getting away with awful deeds. So predictable.
  • Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the direction was great. Hoping for a shock death.
  • David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cooler wrote: »

Certainly the people writing and producing the show now don't understand northern humour.

They think making SL that are silly and panto are funny but the real humour was always in the one-liners... Occasionally you would get characters/actors who were like in a sit-com but these were always the exceptions and mainly the humour was from aside's, remarks and one liners.

But that's just one of the problems. There are so many things wrong with CS now it's hard to know where to start really...
  • FlowesFlowes Posts: 6,968
    Forum Member
    I thought the direction was great. Hoping for a shock death.

I agree with you;-)
  • West End BoyWest End Boy Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'you can't polish a turd.' I am sadly coming to that conclusion with CS. Sad times. :(
  • Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'you can't polish a turd.' I am sadly coming to that conclusion with CS. Sad times. :(

You sound like the media teacher I had at sixth form.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LHolmes wrote: »
    Why would they go and stay with Audrey when they could have Nick's flat to themselves?

And pop into the wedding reception for free booze and food?