Music channels

Comments

• Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking for new artists from many cities around the world?

As an alternative to TV channels, try "Balcony TV" on YouTube. A varied selection of genres, not just, "same old same old" pop.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdjZk4tVh36cykHUWBWnR4w?sub_confirmation=1
  • Sylvester2007Sylvester2007 Posts: 4,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heat have a Guilty Pleasures chart - currently playing Erasure - Star.

Hopefully some more rarities.
  • Declan_McGrath1Declan_McGrath1 Posts: 7,303
    Forum Member
    Schools Out - Daphne and Celeste ;-)

What I Go To School For - Busted ;-)

Yes, the dancier version is better. Don't remember seeing it on The Box but my memory isn't great.

The chart got worse. Their were some songs that get little airtime - Warren G - Regulate was one but they also played 'common' songs - Britney, Backstreet Boys etc

Sounds like a regular issue that Clubland has. Don't watch Viva enough to know if it's something they do regularly.

Well, Bliss have been playing 'requests' for the last 4 weekdays - 5pm-8pm, but twice it's gone wrong and their has been no selections for hours so not a good omen for Scuzz being from the same family.

Im not to sure also if its a regular thing though but it was rather strange.
  • kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, the dancier version is better. Don't remember seeing it on The Box but my memory isn't great.

The chart got worse. Their were some songs that get little airtime - Warren G - Regulate was one but they also played 'common' songs - Britney, Backstreet Boys etc

I hate how they cut off some intros and endings for their on screen "presentation" ie 4Music (Bauer channels are invaded with it!), get rid of that - I see as previously mentioned some vids will be edited (depends if its down to personal choice or what) to fit in ad breaks .. why not just play songs in full and cut this nonsense out be simpler! If the viewer had chosen the video back in the day would we really see it been cut? I doubt it as for "common" exactly -- i'll give another one - sometimes I will see Heat play MC Sar and Real Mc Coy - Another Night (why not play the other not so "common" ie Run Away/Come and get your love - more likely to find these on youtube than your so called Music channels :confused::o)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not to sure also if its a regular thing though but it was rather strange.

Are Viva playing more music than normal or am I imagining it? I thought Viva was being replaced on Sky too, but apparently not. I hope Viva playing more music will be because they now have Spike.
    kezo wrote: »
    I hate how they cut off some intros and endings for their on screen "presentation" ie 4Music (Bauer channels are invaded with it!), get rid of that - I see as previously mentioned some vids will be edited (depends if its down to personal choice or what) to fit in ad breaks .. why not just play songs in full and cut this nonsense out be simpler! If the viewer had chosen the video back in the day would we really see it been cut? I doubt it as for "common" exactly -- i'll give another one - sometimes I will see Heat play MC Sar and Real Mc Coy - Another Night (why not play the other not so "common" ie Run Away/Come and get your love - more likely to find these on youtube than your so called Music channels :confused::o)

I don't know why Heat do that. Possibly to say they play more hits than any other. In the day they have 7 minute ad breaks, so that's probably why. It wouldn't have been cut if it had been selected and cost the viewer money.

Channels rarely play rarer songs. Heat have done so recently, but not the ultra rare ones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't know why Heat do that. Possibly to say they play more hits than any other. In the day they have 7 minute ad breaks, so that's probably why. It wouldn't have been cut if it had been selected and cost the viewer money.

Channels rarely play rarer songs. Heat have done so recently, but not the ultra rare ones.

Heck the only vid that was cut during the old days of The Box was Robbie - Rock DJ but of course that was after a certain point and is also now a video which gets played out (nearly) in full (with the extra repeated scenes in place - ie the skin tear off)

I noticed it on another was Five - You've Got The Feeling (the intro cut is bad), just scrap the channel presentation in every song!

Channels need to play more "ultra rarer" songs thats the problem - its just like their safe playlists during daytime but by night they'll throw in a "rare" song, it just comes across as if they are guilty to play other songs not been broadcasted in years but happily play the same songs time and time again :confused:

VIVA - if VIVA is returning as a "music" channel (in theory here) are we just going to be lumbered with whats already on offer aka MTV Music/Hits/Live - do we really need another one of these channels? They may as well close it and knock it on the head

I watched a bit of Geordie Shore last night on VIVA (out of curiousity), why oh why :( ... its basically TOWIE in Newcastle - fake tans, swearing, sex and god knows what else ... on the upside there was fights ... something TOWIE has caught onto these days ... you probably can tell these sort of shows are copying one another and fully scripted
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are Viva playing more music than normal or am I imagining it? I thought Viva was being replaced on Sky too, but apparently not. I hope Viva playing more music will be because they now have Spike.

VIVA will become nothing but music from 15th April, when Spike launches. It's just the same themed charts and strands which are on MTV Music and Hits.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VIVA will become nothing but music from 15th April, when Spike launches. It's just the same themed charts and strands which are on MTV Music and Hits.

If its the music that is on during trailers on VIVA, I am glad they are no longer on Freeview soon.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a waste of space for a channel. Will it ever appear back on Freeview? I reckon it will shut eventually.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a waste of space for a channel. Will it ever appear back on Freeview? I reckon it will shut eventually.

Bit like VH1 then.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only advantage with VIVA is I believe it's FTV is it not? I do wonder when MTV will shuffle there line up wouldn't surprise me if MTV Music and VH1/VIVA go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heck the only vid that was cut during the old days of The Box was Robbie - Rock DJ but of course that was after a certain point and is also now a video which gets played out (nearly) in full (with the extra repeated scenes in place - ie the skin tear off)

I noticed it on another was Five - You've Got The Feeling (the intro cut is bad), just scrap the channel presentation in every song!

Channels need to play more "ultra rarer" songs thats the problem - its just like their safe playlists during daytime but by night they'll throw in a "rare" song, it just comes across as if they are guilty to play other songs not been broadcasted in years but happily play the same songs time and time again :confused:

VIVA - if VIVA is returning as a "music" channel (in theory here) are we just going to be lumbered with whats already on offer aka MTV Music/Hits/Live - do we really need another one of these channels? They may as well close it and knock it on the head

I watched a bit of Geordie Shore last night on VIVA (out of curiousity), why oh why :( ... its basically TOWIE in Newcastle - fake tans, swearing, sex and god knows what else ... on the upside there was fights ... something TOWIE has caught onto these days ... you probably can tell these sort of shows are copying one another and fully scripted

Channels do cut a lot of songs off these days. I don't think MTV do it, but Bauer have started doing it. Clubland cut bits off, but it's nothing like Heat for example, or Heart.

I understand playing it safe but so safe that they are all replicas of each other? You can't watch more than one channel at once, so they should experiment a bit.

Ha! I've never watched any of these shows based on the adverts. They don't appeal in any way.

Well, that seems pointless. They could try and do something with it...

Heat has had 'The Only Way Is Pop' stuck on the screen for two days now. Even in adverts and regardless of what programme is on. Bliss' request show is rubbish too, when it works. Same songs every day from the same safe playlist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channels do cut a lot of songs off these days. I don't think MTV do it, but Bauer have started doing it. Clubland cut bits off, but it's nothing like Heat for example, or Heart.

I understand playing it safe but so safe that they are all replicas of each other? You can't watch more than one channel at once, so they should experiment a bit.

Ha! I've never watched any of these shows based on the adverts. They don't appeal in any way.

I think MTV are the only ones that don't do it (as well as Vintage), but its the reason as to why they do it - if the excuse is for ad breaks they need to look at themselves (yet I will give Bauer credit they only have one channel with Teleshopping compared to MTV's lot)

As for music they play be going "old skool" or just what they play today - its exactly that its "safe" playlists where is the cutting edge or basically pushing the boundaries with songs but then again they are able to push the boundaries with some songs they play today yet if it was the 90's expect it to be shoved late night (double standards really)

I'm the same with these reality shows I thought to give it a go (for at least 15 mins and see if I could be swayed) but good god it doesn't appeal to me either but its ashame that if these type of shows had more "responsibility" in what they do then I could say well fine ... but it seems all these type of shows are really looking for fights and basically on screen sex ... or should I say "shag" :o , I maybe wrong but I can't remember a MTV show in 90's that was looking for this .... the only show springs to mind was "the real world" yet most of the time MTV aired it during the day (as I can remember), as I also mentioned I was more surprised that MTV has recently aired "ex on the beach" during the day, yet the ads for it is aimed after 9pm, i'll hazard a guess the daytime edit will have bleeps on it and will be watered down to the normal edition (educated guess here)
  • JVDJVD Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only advantage with VIVA is I believe it's FTV is it not? I do wonder when MTV will shuffle there line up wouldn't surprise me if MTV Music and VH1/VIVA go.

VIVA will see a nosedive in viewers when it disappears from freeview I predict ratings to be well under 80k a week if it reverts to just all music videos. I expect the channel to be closed eventually for Spike +1. The gap left by VIVA will allow MTV Live to into the 357 slot and leaving 358 a vacant gap unless Bauer ask Sky to move a channel into its slot , Kerrang could then move back in with its sister channels like it used to before they moved some of their channels around in 2005 , I remember The Hits used to be 458 then later moved to 360 when Sky had that major EPG reshuffle in 2006.
    The Vault have another new programme - Lizzie McGuire.

The programmes seem to get the best ratings for them.

Surprising I've not seen them get the hold of the S Club TV series Miami7 . LA7 . Hollywood7 and Viva S Club TV shows and the IDream TV show with S Club Juniors/8 because they are music themed shows. I expect those will be shown on The Vault eventually.
  • Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    4music - UKHOT40 of 2015 so far - ffs, it's only April 3rd.
  • clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone watching the kerrang rock 100 today? What do you think will be number one?

I'm rooting for Fall Out Boy!
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    VIVA becoming an all music channel reminds me when TMF had the same format in it's first year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has Heat TV had an on screen system failure today :confused: the Heat logo and "the only way is pop" has been displayed most of this afternoon/tonight - I noted that the artist/song didn't appear either :D The old days of The Box if it crashed they could have just taken it off and ran with the songs but seems like either nobody is watching the channel or someone is sitting on their ass
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neil_N wrote: »
    4music - UKHOT40 of 2015 so far - ffs, it's only April 3rd.

Tis the season - it seems when these channels run the "so far...." charts they want the year to fly in .... expect next one in June then repeated in July/August and the final one will be November
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Beyonce may indeed be a product of a higher power - time will tell, especially next year when Obama has to step down. There are few performers out there with a social consicence, and the music channels and radio are in state because the big labels plug their acts and song. This is why you have a stale playlist, and a stale singles chart.

From Beyonce to Obama?

*Passes tin foil hat*
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now Music doing one track from each of the 90 Now albums today, which is a nice idea.
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    AcerBen wrote: »
    Now Music doing one track from each of the 90 Now albums today, which is a nice idea.

Apparently they were going to play all the tracks from all the albums in order at one stage but they couldn't find all the videos.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think MTV are the only ones that don't do it (as well as Vintage), but its the reason as to why they do it - if the excuse is for ad breaks they need to look at themselves (yet I will give Bauer credit they only have one channel with Teleshopping compared to MTV's lot)

Not sure what channel it was, may have been Heat, but they cut off a song mid-way through the other day, literally about 2 minutes of approx 4. Madness.
    JVD wrote: »
    Surprising I've not seen them get the hold of the S Club TV series Miami7 . LA7 . Hollywood7 and Viva S Club TV shows and the IDream TV show with S Club Juniors/8 because they are music themed shows. I expect those will be shown on The Vault eventually.

I guess it all depends on how much it costs them to buy the rights too.
    4music - UKHOT40 of 2015 so fhttp://i1.cdnds.net/13/49/happy.gifar - ffs, it's only April 3rd.

They'll do this every holiday period. :(

Clubland's app is really naff right now. They've cut down the amount of programmes the app can be used and when it is used, the same people get their requests song after song after song. No DJ Jamie Knowles this morning but he usually gets his requests played all the time - this morning it's courtneymcc13 virtually every song.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yesterday afternoon VH1 had 5 hours of 'Music Never Felt So Good' which is their standard playlist. No chart, no theme, just back to basics music TV. It was a refreshing change!
  • David_HillDavid_Hill Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4music had a twitter vote yesterday afternoon where you could tweet the songs you wanted them to play. Interactivity and giving the viewer choice is a good thing bit of course you could only select from a set of songs that they play every day. They could have just chosen the songs themselves and the playlist would have been the same.