Options

Vodafone & HTC problems

mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
Forum Member
✭✭
I am having huge problems with my HTC legend. Unfortunately I am mid-contract with no prospect of an upgrade, but frankly I think the 'phone must be a crock and that combined with aggravating vodafone website problems is really testing my patience.

Has anyone else experienced problems with their HTC legend or with the 'my account' function on the vodafone website?

A list of the problems with the 'phone:
Unpredictable loss of signal when at home. My 'phone often says 'Emergency calls only'. Phone can change from sending and receiving texts to 'Emergency calls only' in a matter of moments. I've been with vodafone for decades and never had this problem with other 'phones.

Touch screen is cranky - if I touch a text in my received list to open it up and read it, I sometimes get an old and completely unrelated text from a different contact open up instead.

I have received and read a text, clicked on reply to answer, typed my answer and sent it, only to receive a text from a totally different contact saying "You've sent your text to the wrong person".

At times my 'phone will not open texts at all - just says 'loading' for as much as 15 minutes at a time.

If I am in the midst of a call to a help line with an automated answering service, the screen will repeatedly go black whilst I am in the middle of trying to enter pin numbers etc.

Yesterday evening the phone had a new 'Limited service only' message on the screen. I went to settings-about phone - networks to try and re-connect to vodafone and the only networks available in the list were 3, orange, t-mobile and O2! After a while vodafone re-appeared, but when I clicked on it to link I got the message 'Sorry, your SIM card does not permit connection to this network' - it's a flippin vodafone SIM card.

Problems with vodafone website:I am unable to connect to the 'my account' section in any way which could be helpful. I have already registered and entered my mobile number, but whenever i log in I get the same screen saying 'Why not enter your mobile number? - Why not ? BECAUSE I ALREADY HAVE DONE! If I then click on the pay monthly tab I get the next screen, which allows me to enter my mobile 'phone number and nothing else.

Of course when I enter my mobile number I get the message 'error - number already registered'

I've telephoned the help desk and they claim to have completely reset my account, but I still get exactly the same problem. So I cannot access my 'paperless 'phone bills' because i never get past the introductory screens.

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Take it back to the shop and demand they fix it.
  • Options
    cavemanjamescavemanjames Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which version of Android are you running?

This sounds like a problem with Android. Has it always done this or only recently?

Have you checked for updates for your phone? If there is none, and the problems only started recently, try and do a factory reset of your phone.
    Note: If you do this then it will remove everything from your phone, so be sure to back up everything on it beforehand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which version of Android are you running?

This sounds like a problem with Android. Has it always done this or only recently?

Have you checked for updates for your phone? If there is none, and the problems only started recently, try and do a factory reset of your phone.
    Note: If you do this then it will remove everything from your phone, so be sure to back up everything on it beforehand.

Hi

I checked for updates yesterday, but the display says that all downloads are up to date. As far as I know (and I have to admit to being rather dozy about some tech stuff) I have version 2.2 on the 'phone.

The signal problem has been fairly long standing .

Vodafone not appearing in the network list and the SIM card message are both new, as are the problems with the 'phone' opening random texts and sending my texts to the wrong contacts.

I will give the factory reset a go once I've backed up.

Thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Take it back to the shop and demand they fix it.

Thanks Stud, think it may well end up with this - always a pain though as they insist on sending away for a repair rather than exchange.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the problems still persist... There is a way to upgrade your phone to Android 2.3, but you'll lose all of the HTC and vodafone stuff. You should be able to find the Vodafone apps on the marketplace though.

It would probably feel like getting a new phone if you do go down that path, but I would strongly recommend you have someone who's good with technology on hand or do it for you. Let me know if you're interested and I'll get all info you need for you :)
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Thanks Stud, think it may well end up with this - always a pain though as they insist on sending away for a repair rather than exchange.

WIll they not loan you a basic phone whilst it's away, or you could buy a cheap £10 phone to get you by. It's not like they are asking to send your legs off.

You can do without a phone for a bit, no?

The most sensible thing is to let them repair it for you.
  • Options
    WoofyWoofy Posts: 1,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like more of a HTC problem than Vodafone, as I am on T-mobile and sometimes have similar problems to yourself.

When I have the Limited Service message on my phone, I restart it, then end up with a full signal again.

I also lose some of the pictures I have taken - again, a reboot fixes this.

My phone (its a Desire HD) recently upgraded to Android 2.3.3, but I had the same problems before this also.

I've had it since December last year, but just put up with it so far, although it can be annoying with all these little "niggles"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woofy wrote: »
    Sounds like more of a HTC problem than Vodafone, as I am on T-mobile and sometimes have similar problems to yourself.

When I have the Limited Service message on my phone, I restart it, then end up with a full signal again.

My phone (its a Desire HD) recently upgraded to Android 2.3.3, but I had the same problems before this also.

I've had it since December last year, but just put up with it so far, although it can be annoying with all these little "niggles"

I don't like recommending doing this to people, because of the consequences, but have a look at Cyanogen Mod. It will completely replace the Android that you have at the minute with another version which is usually faster and more reliable. It *may* fix your problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like recommending doing this to people, because of the consequences, but have a look at Cyanogen Mod. It will completely replace the Android that you have at the minute with another version which is usually faster and more reliable. It *may* fix your problem.

It was the official android update from T-mobile, I got the notification on my phone and everything. Just thought I'd better mention that :)
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've got a DHD on Three and I've had no problems with this at all, no pictures lost or signal lost. I too have upgraded to 2.3.3, that's odd.

However I have experienced other issues like the weather widget sticking and not being able to do anything about it, even removing and re-adding didn't make any difference, fixed by 2.3.3 though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also had the weather widget not updating when connected to the mobile network. It wortked fine when I was at home connected via wi-fi. However, this issue has been resolved since the 2.3.3 update.

Might just live with the issues on mine anyway, I suppose a reboot once a week won't do it or me any harm. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Have they tried a new sim card option yet? I had problems like yours, but on my old Nokia 5800. A new sim card sorted the signal and text problems out for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FirewireUk wrote: »
    Have they tried a new sim card option yet? I had problems like yours, but on my old Nokia 5800. A new sim card sorted the signal and text problems out for me.

Not yet, but the guy I spoke to on the 'phone earlier suggested making a change to the network settings and advised me to go into a store and get the SIM card checked out if this change doesn't work.
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member

If the menu is the same as my new HTC Desire S I had rotten reception until I went into Settings>Wireless and Networks>Mobile Networks>Network Mode and turned mine on to GSM only or GSM/WCDMA and this immediately resulted in the full 4 signal strength bars. Admittedly you have to change these settings if you want to browse the internet, putting it back to, say WCDMA.

See also this thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2523297 &highlight=htc+desire+connection+problem&page=2 where this is much discussion on HTC reception problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    If the menu is the same as my new HTC Desire S I had rotten reception until I went into Settings>Wireless and Networks>Mobile Networks>Network Mode and turned mine on to GSM only or GSM/WCDMA and this immediately resulted in the full 4 signal strength bars. Admittedly you have to change these settings if you want to browse the internet, putting it back to, say WCDMA.

See also this thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2523297 &highlight=htc+desire+connection+problem&page=2 where this is much discussion on HTC reception problems.

Hi

The menu is the same and the second guy I spoke to at Vofafone today advised me to do exactly what you have said. So far, so good - all four bars lit up and no more 'Limited service available' messages since I changed the settings.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm having similar problems to the OP with my Desire S. Specifically this part:
    mazzy50 wrote:
    Unpredictable loss of signal when at home. My 'phone often says 'Emergency calls only'. Phone can change from sending and receiving texts to 'Emergency calls only' in a matter of moments. I've been with vodafone for decades and never had this problem with other 'phones.
    It has got so bad I have had to put the SIM into my old phone as I just cant rely on it to keep a signal. It would literally be full bars when I put it down, then I would check on it a bit later and it would say "no network". Sometimes it would actually list the selection of networks and if I try to choose mine (o2) it would say something along the lines of "The SIM card does not permit connection to this network". The only fix seems to be to restart the phone. When I bought the phone they gave me a new SIM as apparently the one I had was too old. Putting the same SIM into my old phone doesnt seem to exhibit any of the symptoms.

I'm planning on taking it back to the o2 store on the weekend as its only a few weeks old. Its annoying though because its a really nice phone. My old phone (over 3 years old) may have been basic in comparison but at least I knew people could reach me on it. :(
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Other day I was out near the Forth Bridges and I had problems with signal on my HTC and im on 02.
    I think there may be a problem with some HTC phones and not the networks.
    My HTC in the house can go from between 1/2 bars to full signal a lot.
    I have only had my HTC just over 3 weeks.
    Was told to buy a case for my HTC to see if that will help the signal problem. So my sister has ordered me this case for my HTC from the Tesco site.
    http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.212-8374.aspx
    I asked about it on the FrequencyCast podcast that I listen to every month and my post and reply was on this months podcast.
    http://www.frequencycast.co.uk/cast68.html
    Have a loook at the frequencycast link and read the site or have a listen and hear my reply about the HTC its about 22 or 23mins into the 30min show and see what you think.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi Darren, I did think the case (this one) may have been related, so tried both with and without it to see if that made any difference to no avail. I also disabled the WIFI in case it was confusing matters, as well as turn off all widgits.

The death grip wouldn't surprise me, but the fact that it would randomly stop working whilst not even being physically moved leads me to think it is something more obscure.

I suppose a factory reset would be the next logical step but I am not holding out much luck. :(
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    Hi Darren, I did think the case (this one) may have been related, so tried both with and without it to see if that made any difference to no avail. I also disabled the WIFI in case it was confusing matters, as well as turn off all widgits.

The death grip wouldn't surprise me, but the fact that it would randomly stop working whilst not even being physically moved leads me to think it is something more obscure.

I suppose a factory reset would be the next logical step but I am not holding out much luck. :(

Thanks for the reply and that you looked at the link I posted. The cover you got looks someting like the one im getting but mine is in black,
    I get one/two bars for signal in my bedroom next to my desktop PC.
    In living room im lucky to even get one bar for signal.
    At work I get 3 bars to full signal.
    As I posted other day was a joke with signal when I was out near the Forth Bridges.
    I got 3G/HSDPA turned off as it was every few hours taking some of my 500mb 02 data.
    Also had to turn of some of the phones auto updates.

Darren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Took the phone back to the o2 store yesterday. They are going to send it off to their repair centre so hopefully it will be sorted. Interestingly they said it was their service centre rather than HTC. Given the bad press HTC support had on Watchdog the other day I'm thinking that may be for the best...
  • Options
    foxlafoxla Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vodafone and smartphones don't go together, I have an HTC Magic on VF, and the signal reception has always been a tad iffy, my wife has a basic Nokia phone, with no frills, works fine in the same house, the only network around here that seems any good for smartphones is Three and Orange :-( contract up at the end of Jan, so not sure if I will stay with VF after then, after getting shafted when I got the phone, with the Data Allowance unlimited fiasco,and the signal issues, may well seek an alternate.
    College at work, lives similar area, just got a Galaxy with VF, now regretting it, loss of signal etc !

They did say I could buy a VF suresignal to get a good signal in the house.... but why should I pay £50 on top of whay I already pay just to be able to use the bloody thing !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Picked up my phone again today (figured it would be simpler than worrying about if someone will be in the house to sign for it) and they basically said they couldn't recreate the problem but have put all the latest Android/HTC stuff on incase it was a software issue.

Now the good news is that it no longer seems to be doing the "No Network" thing....BUT... has pretty much the exact same fault! I tried randomly ringing it from the house phone or my works mobile and a couple of times (not every time though!) it has gone straight to the o2 message thing even though the phone is on, says its connected, has decent signal, and that all the diverts are turned off! Looks like it's going to have to go back again :mad::(:cry: