Christopher Dean can't skate in the new show. :(

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,809
Forum Member
✭✭✭
According to some reports, Chris hurt his shoulder during the Christmas special and won't be allowed to skate during the show. He'll be there as a mentor but he won't be able to skate with Jayne. God I hope this isn't true. :(

Comments

• memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To repeat what I said elsewhere, it makes no sense. He seemed fine at the end of the Christmas Special and there's no way he could have major surgery and then get on a plane for an international flight, like the article claims he did. He'd be in hospital for a few days and probably wouldn't be able to travel for about a week. Plus, there's no direct flights from the UK to where he lives in Colorado, and with stopovers the journey can take up to 20 hours. I just can't see anyone managing that (or being allowed to do it) straight after major surgery. Given that the original report of this came from The Sun, I'm taking it with a bucket or two of salt, until it's been confirmed by a more reputable and reliable source.
    Dancing's On Ice for hurt Dean

SKATING legend Christopher Dean has been told he cannot perform in Dancing On Ice after suffering a serious injury.

The 50-year-old needs major corrective surgery after damaging his shoulder while filming the show’s Christmas special.

He cried out in pain and producers called medics who rushed him for surgery so he could return home to his family in America for Christmas.

The Olympic star is now recovering but will still be a mentor on this year’s show until his shoulder is fixed.

His injury is a blow for ITV as Christopher’s dance with partner Jayne Torvill, 51, is one of the show’s highlights.

An insider said: “Everyone was really worried as he is a key part of the show.

“If his injury had knocked him out completely it would have been a disaster.

“He is due to appear when the show returns in January. He won’t be allowed to dance with Jayne or by himself until docs give him the all-clear.”
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this is true *hopes to high heavens it's not* I think Jayne and Chris' power in the show is underrated slightly (if that's the right word...) and ITV will see a big loss of viewers without them as many tune in to watch them and they'll be fully appreciated more! :D

Although mentoring is good, mentoring is fine.......well, it's not. I don't believe it! I shant! :p
  • yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,532
    Forum Member
    He injured himself 1 week last year and Jayne danced by herself + the Pros
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was an ongoing problem which only required minor (keyhole) surgery to fix. This sounds like the surgery was more major.

I think the likeliest scenario if Chris can't skate, is that the pros will skate at the show opening. Probably a group number the first week, perhaps with Jayne, and then possibly individual routines each week from Mel & Fred, Andrei & Suzie, Nina & Matt etc, until Chris is given the go-ahead to get back out there. Not ideal (I'd much rather watch Chris & Jayne) but it'll be good to see the pros get a chance to shine. They have that opportunity on the tour but not usually on the show itself.
  • hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes i remember that. It was just 1 week though wasn't it?

I hope hes not out the show for long. I really like T&D, they are brill together.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope to god that this isn't true! :(:cry:
    I like memmh am waiting until this is confirmed by a more trustworthy source, there are some things that don't add up, and many of which have already been highlighted by y'all.

If it is that he's gonna' solely do a mentoring role and that alone then at least that's better than him being sidelined completely, any Chris exposure is welcomed this end... :o
    I seriously hope he's alright though, what a massive blow that must be to him, Jayne and indeed everyone! :(:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has been confirmed, I'm afraid :(

On another forum:
    Vienna81 wrote:
    I just received the following e-mail from ITV viewer services which explains everything.

Thank you for your email.
    Christopher Dean was injured while skating with Jayne Torvill and has received corrective surgery to his right shoulder in the run up to the new series of Dancing on Ice starting.
    The operation happened the day after the Dancing on Ice Christmas special was recorded and Chris is now recovering at home in Colorado. He will fly back to the UK in time to appear in the new series which starts on January 11. Chris will not skate at first while he recovers but he will continue to coach and mentor the celebrities. He will skate again during the series.
    Regards

ITV Viewer Services - SR
  • Cat BalouCat Balou Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Chris. :( As well as the pain of an injury and surgery, he must be very frustrated and disappointed.

I'm very sad that he won't be skating at the start of the new series and wish him a very speedy recovery. As for many others, T&D's routines are the highlight of the show for me.

Hopefully he'll be back on the ice again with Jayne soon.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Chris, hope he makes a speedy recovery :)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poor Chris :(
  • Taz93Taz93 Posts: 13,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure he will be ok, just a press exaggeration.
  • soapgirlheresoapgirlhere Posts: 2,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deja vu much !?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, this is dissapointing, but I'm glad he'll still be there and won't be out from skatine for the whole run. On the plus side, we'll get to see more of the pros doing their thang! :D
  • batesy2000batesy2000 Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about the live tour?

I bought my folks tickets for Xmas.

I hope he's fit enough by then :(
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, have I got this correct :confused: ?

Will Chris only be missing the first show's opener, then he'll be back skating with Jayne in the second show?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, have I got this correct :confused: ?

Will Chris only be missing the first show's opener, then he'll be back skating with Jayne in the second show?

When he was interviewed on Monday he hoped it wouldn't be too long and he said he would skate on Sunday but was advised not to.

He is hoping to get back as soon as possible (maybe week two or three), I guess we'll have to wait and see.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not trying to belittle Chris's injury, I hope he is well on the way to full recovery, but both the media and the show love to 'play up' all injuries! Probably we shall be shown the accident as part of the show on Sunday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They'll never show Chris or Jayne getting injured, it's unheard of!:eek:
  • TraceyUKTraceyUK Posts: 2,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't be too sure about Chris not being on the ice on Sun!!
  • CrazyChickCrazyChick Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TraceyUK wrote: »
    Don't be too sure about Chris not being on the ice on Sun!!

Lol, was he skating in the dress rehearsal?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CrazyChick wrote: »
    Lol, was he skating in the dress rehearsal?

The man will never learn lol, wouldn't surprise me!
  • CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    As its his shoulder not his legs which have been hurt - I'd imagine that he can skate but not do any lifts.........
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    As its his shoulder not his legs which have been hurt - I'd imagine that he can skate but not do any lifts.........

When you think of the injuries - broken ribs etc - that the celebs have skated with in previous series, I agree with you. It's easy to forget, though, that he and Jayne are not longer "spring chickens" and over 50s can take long to heal/mend than 21 yrs old!

Whatever, best wishes for a speedy recovery - Chris.