Options

PVR Penetration Now Over 50%

derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
Forum Member
✭✭✭
13.7m of the UK's 26.5m homes now have a PVR.

http://www.skymedia.co.uk/Audience-Insight/Case-Studies/10-years-of-sky+.aspx

Still led by pay, but DTT has grown fast with 2.6m homes now with Freeview+. Even though the first Freesat PVR was launched more than four years ago, it has only managed 600k.

Comments

• Options
    HenryVIIIHenryVIII Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    13.7m of the UK's 26.5m homes now have a PVR.

http://www.skymedia.co.uk/Audience-Insight/Case-Studies/10-years-of-sky+.aspx

Still led by pay, but DTT has grown fast with 2.6m homes now with Freeview+. Even though the first Freesat PVR was launched more than four years ago, it has only managed 600k.

I am amazed by some of my friends and relatives who don't have PVRs in this day and age, and then complain about programme clashes or missing programmes because they were out...

Thought this was interesting
    Advertisers are not charged for fast-forwarded ads or those seen more than 7 days after transmission.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HenryVIII wrote: »
    I am amazed by some of my friends and relatives who don't have PVRs in this day and age, and then complain about programme clashes or missing programmes because they were out...

..one of the reasons why the +1 channels are launching all the time.

Without free/subsidised boxes the uptake in 'free' homes is always going to lag behind.
  • Options
    toastedlogistictoastedlogistic Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    What annoys me about the Freeview adverts about Freeview+, is that they are STILL only promoting Freeview+ and not Freeview+ HD! :mad:
  • Options
    R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    ..one of the reasons why the +1 channels are launching all the time.

Without free/subsidised boxes the uptake in 'free' homes is always going to lag behind.

You hit the nail on the here. With Sky offering a Sky+ enabled box as standard and as well the likes of TalkTalk and Bt sybsiding YouView boxes more people are getting them.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    R410 wrote: »
    You hit the nail on the here. With Sky offering a Sky+ enabled box as standard and as well the likes of TalkTalk and Bt sybsiding YouView boxes more people are getting them.

And they are paying for them, spread among all subscribers, in the following 12 months and beyond.
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If people knew what pvr was they might want it. How does opne know whether or not one has it?
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    It's only now gone over 50%? Blimey, some people really are at tortoise-pace adopting these things, aren't they?
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know a lot of people that are still using their trusty old VCRs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    If people knew what pvr was they might want it. How does opne know whether or not one has it?

Sensibly most providers tended to use Sky's + as a standard suffix. Sky+, Virgin+, Freesat+, Freeview+..

Now a couple of platforms have started to confuse people by dropping that and using names like YouView and <Freetime>.
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the other 50% are happy with what they have - not being into everything techno!
    Believe it or not, some folk just switch on the telly and watch it! Like they have since the 1950s!:cool:
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    It's only now gone over 50%? Blimey, some people really are at tortoise-pace adopting these things, aren't they?

Im surprised its that low :eek:

Only one of my friends uses a VCR. Hes so tight he wont buy a PVR :D

Hes also upset he had to buy a Freeview box and as for HD you can forget him buying that too :eek: