Farscape from the beginning on Pick TV 21st April

PriliclaPrilicla Posts: 583
Forum Member
✭✭
Great to see it is back and re-watch again :)

Comments

• WoodbineWoodbine Posts: 14,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good to see back on tv, love Farscape.

(It's on Netflix too if anyone has that.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time slot? I own the DVDs, but I'm curious if it's taking over from SG1.
  • DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member

Also have the DVDs but glad it's back on TV, if Pick TV is running all of SG1 to the end then Farscape will probably be on after SG1, So I think SG1 is on at 8pm then Farscape will be on at 9pm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deccomajor wrote: »
    Also have the DVDs but glad it's back on TV, if Pick TV is running all of SG1 to the end then Farscape will probably be on after SG1, So I think SG1 is on at 8pm then Farscape will be on at 9pm.

I just hope they don't chop it to pieces, like they used to on the Beeb.
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,619
    Forum Member

According to one website I read it's being shown at 6.55.

Farscape is a show I always meant to watch but never did so I'll be setting the recorder for this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marjangles wrote: »

Farscape is a show I always meant to watch but never did so I'll be setting the recorder for this.

Cripes, it'll be hacked to pieces then.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's why I don't really like watching shows on TV, I think they all cut bits out. I'd recommend signing up to Netflix, the first month is free and watch Farscape there.
    Forum Member

Memory isn't what it used to be, but when Farscape originally aired on BBC2 wasn't it on at a tea time slot or early evening (7/8pm), I do remember a few years back SyFy airing it on at around 11am weekdays but never saw it due to work.

I hope it's not cut to pieces putting it on at that time.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FX (now FOX) used to show it at 8'oclock in the morning
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Memory isn't what it used to be, but when Farscape originally aired on BBC2 wasn't it on at a tea time slot or early evening (7/8pm), I do remember a few years back SyFy airing it on at around 11am weekdays but never saw it due to work.

I hope it's not cut to pieces putting it on at that time.
    I've got the Boxset and it has an 18 certificate rating, so most likely will be edited in some way if it is on at that time.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've never seen it

Might give it a go !

I've been watching the run of B5 on Watch which I also never saw before........I don't know why I miss these shows first time round as I've watched Star Trek since the OS and Battlestar Galactica old and new.......and other sci-fi series.

But I always seem to just miss some completely........they pass me by !

Stargate is probably the most recent long running one that I've never watched........maybe in 10 years time (if I'm still here) I'll watch that through on some cable channel
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BTW........is Farscape any good ?

what's it about ?.................:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »

While on an experimental space mission, astronaut John Crichton get sucked down a wormhole to a distant part of the galaxy and lands on living ship called 'Moya' carrying a group of escaping prisoners.

It's one of my favourite sci-fi tv shows :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I will let you decide
    Imo, i don't think it is as amazing as people make it out to be. The first two seasons are brilliant, but the last two seasons became like a depressing soap opera with pointless recurring characters who stand there and do nothing and an arc the writers themselves were confused about and making it up as it went along.

I found there are more flaws to farscape than there are great things about it. Even in the two seasons i enjoyed.
    Forum Member

I think it depends on who you talk to, imo Farscape along with Firefly was and is still the best science fiction TV series out there, but like little-monster said Farscape sort of trailed off towards the end.

Watch an episode or two and decide if it's for you :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it depends on who you talk to, imo Farscape along with Firefly was and is still the best science fiction TV series out there, but like little-monster said Farscape sort of trailed off towards the end.

Watch an episode or two and decide if it's for you :)

I've never seen Firefly either !

I've ringed Farscape in Radio Times......I'll give it a go.......:)
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,395
    Forum Member

Yes, this one's definitely worth recording and it has one of the most repulsive sci-fi villains even in the form of Scorpius who's up there with Dune's Baron Vladimir Harkonnen. :o
  • GibsonGirlGibsonGirl Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might give it another go, but to me the show struggled with deciding who its target audience was going to be. Was it supposed to be a kids show, something to be watched with the family or was it for adults only? There were definitely childish aspects to it. Some of the puppets/animatronic head pieces were hard to take seriously (like the 'doctor', the creature from Beware of Dog and the aliens from Out of their Minds). The show had a recurring theme of gross out jokes involving bodily functions and excretions. How many times did we see Rygel spitting and vomiting? He broke wind on a number of occasions as well. And how often was Noranti seen spitting? There was even an episode that tried to be humorous by having multiple characters being sick multiple times. Thankfully the likes of Babylon 5, Star Trek and Stargate did not resort to gross out gags for 'comic relief'. I do believe that such gags would be more at home in an Adam Sandler movie than a supposedly serious sci-fi series.

I do have to say though that some of the make-up and animatronics were excellent. I was impressed with Scorpius, Pilot, Rygel and some of the Scarrans. There was a puppet in Perfect Prefect (I think that was the name of the episode) that was probably the best the show produced.

The stand out actors for me were Wayne Pygram, Virginia Hey and Anthony Simcoe. I have to say I never really warmed to Ben Browder or Claudia Black. Then again I resented the fact that Browder replaced Richard Dean Anderson in Stargate. Claudia Black's performances in both just left me feeling underwhelmed.

Anyway a repeat viewing might make me appreciate it a bit more.
  • GibsonGirlGibsonGirl Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »
    I've got the Boxset and it has an 18 certificate rating, so most likely will be edited in some way if it is on at that time.

Could that possibly be because of the special features? There might be swearing in the interviews or commentary or is it actually due to episode content? The boxset of SG-1 is rated 18 because of full frontal female nudity in the uncut pilot. Another earlier episode had Jack exclaim "bullshit". Apart from those scenes being edited for the television I can't say I noticed any cuts when the other episodes were shown on Sky.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GibsonGirl wrote: »
    I might give it another go, but to me the show struggled with deciding who its target audience was going to be. Was it supposed to be a kids show, something to be watched with the family or was it for adults only? There were definitely childish aspects to it. Some of the puppets/animatronic head pieces were hard to take seriously (like the 'doctor', the creature from Beware of Dog and the aliens from Out of their Minds). The show had a recurring theme of gross out jokes involving bodily functions and excretions. How many times did we see Rygel spitting and vomiting? He broke wind on a number of occasions as well. And how often was Noranti seen spitting? There was even an episode that tried to be humorous by having multiple characters being sick multiple times. Thankfully the likes of Babylon 5, Star Trek and Stargate did not resort to gross out gags for 'comic relief'. I do believe that such gags would be more at home in an Adam Sandler movie than a supposedly serious sci-fi series.

I do have to say though that some of the make-up and animatronics were excellent. I was impressed with Scorpius, Pilot, Rygel and some of the Scarrans. There was a puppet in Perfect Prefect (I think that was the name of the episode) that was probably the best the show produced.

The stand out actors for me were Wayne Pygram, Virginia Hey and Anthony Simcoe. I have to say I never really warmed to Ben Browder or Claudia Black. Then again I resented the fact that Browder replaced Richard Dean Anderson in Stargate. Claudia Black's performances in both just left me feeling underwhelmed.

Anyway a repeat viewing might make me appreciate it a bit more.

Claudia Black is a terrible actress and some of her acting throughout the show was awful. She can't do emotional stuff at all. I have seen her in other roles and they all Aeryn Clones. She was alright in Stargate but again, it was like Aeryn 2.0.

To be fair though, Farscape was never concieved or ever thought to be a serious science fiction show and it was clear from the start it wasn't serious. All the cast, crew and die-hard fans will tell you this. It was always meant to be very out there, outrageous and damn right silly. But then it came to crafting out an arc, it failed miserably imo. Another flaw in Farscape is that it always came across as rushed in quality and in actual fact it was, according to Claudia Black. They would shoot an episode and the script wouldn't even be complete until the day they wrapped.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I watched tonight's episode all the way through*........it was OK, pretty formulaic but I'll stick with it for now

*I soon realised that I must have started watching this before and the first bit was familiar.........up to about where they went down to that planet. I must have given up on it after about 20 minutes first time round.........:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Correction Claudia Black is a brilliant actress.

Edit. As I said before, Farscape is one of my favourite shows, so I would say that :P
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Claudia Black is a terrible actress and some of her acting throughout the show was awful. She can't do emotional stuff at all. I have seen her in other roles and they all Aeryn Clones. She was alright in Stargate but again, it was like Aeryn 2.0.

Claudia Black is an amazing actress and I think she's outstanding at emotional stuff. Episodes like 'The Way We Weren't' had me choking back tears. And I don't know how anyone can say her Stargate character was Aeryn 2.0 - that's flat-out wrong. They are completely, utterly different characters. There wasn't a single touch of Aeryn to Vala. While Ben Browder was essentially playing a similar character to Crichton I was always amazed at how different Claudia Black came across on Stargate.

Farscape was, and probably always will be my favourite sci-fi show. It kicked the ass of the Star Treks that were airing at the same time (Voyager and Enterprise) and frankly I much preferred it to BSG for its warmth, charm and humour (even the gross-out stuff!). The fourth season did start with a wobble (largely due to executive meddling lol), but found its way midway through. Really, it was a unique, fresh, funny, addictive, emotionally-compelling and extremely fun show created with a huge amount of love and passion that showed. And it succeeded in created a very well-rounded and immersive universe. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the proposed movie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Farscape feature film is 'in the script stage' says creator' http://www.hitfix.com/news/farscape-movie-update-a-feature-film-is-in-the-script-stage-says-creator

Oh yeah, please make it happen :D
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes Farscape was first shown at 6pm on BBC2. After that Syfi repeated years later around the same time and then 11 am on Sunday mornings.

If its classed as 18 then its always been show edited on UK TV.

Now Lexx was always shown late at night and was certified 18.