Is anyone writing/or has written a book?

Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,
It's been an ambition of mine for ages now to write a book - my particular choice is fiction.
However, where and how do you start?

I've got a beginning, an end, several twists and the main characters worked out. But on what equipment should you start? i.e. do you write on a piece of software like Y-Writer to structure your book and sort out scenes with their characters etc. or do you just write in MS Word?
Or do you write by hand?

And then do you write in the 1st or 3rd person? Do you write through the eyes of your main character or through the eyes of someone observing him/her?

I guess it's all down to individual author tastes, but I'd be very interested to hear the methods of existing and new authors out there please? :)

Comments

• daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,603
    Forum Member
    I think that when you get the urge to write, the direction it comes from ie main character, observer, narrator, come with the inspirartion. How do you hear it in you head?
    Many years ago I began to write down my own experiences of life - like a daily diary, for my own amusement. I wrote it in the first person. Some advised me to get it published so i went down the road of finding out how. Apparently is has to be typed with double spaces between the lines - to enable the publisher's reader to make comments. Also good margins either side for the same reason. You can buy a book that tells you how to set out your writing and how to approach a publisher. But Amazon do a free publishing section that might interest you.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/seller-acco...opic=200260520
    So far I have done nothing and somehow doubt I ever will.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it matters whether it's written in the 1st or the 3rd person, except that you must ensure, if it's in the 1st person, that you don't describe something out of the character's knowledge. Though I think "I found out later ...." may be OK.

One thing though - do not write it in the present tense. I find I just can't read books like that, the words don't flow properly.

I really wanted to read one book, I think it was Hilary Mantel's, but I had a look at it, and it was written in the present tense.

I don't know why there's a fashion for this nonsensical style, but for me at least it doesn't work.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually have a book what I wrote.
    All I need is a publisher what will like it.

You might get some pertinent advice on this forum:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/meet%20our%20authors
    or
    https://www.goodreads.com
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    I started one years ago about a race of people who lived under the sea. It was complete crap :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I started one years ago about a race of people who lived under the sea. It was complete crap :D
    Hang on!
    That's what my book what I wrote is about! >:(
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spend some time getting the "bible" sorted so you know all the details of your characters such as ages/looks and anything else thats liable to be confusing such as "she celebrated her 21st birthday in june" then a bit later "it was mid august and she was enjoying her birthday party"
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i am writing a book and also a picture book
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

OP, you have to decide yourself if you write longhand with a pen, or into a word
    processor. I can't write other than on paper with a pen. It has advantages as you can leave a few spaces when you can not complete a simile and decide to leave it till later, and other things.

It needs experience I am afraid, so that you learn about how much plot will take up how many words. The first time I tried I mapped out a plot and used the whole lot up in about 20,000 words (say 40-50 pages).

It takes a very long time, so it is crucial that you choose a thing that will keep you interested for long enough.

You need situations and locations about which there is plenty to write.

The last thing I will say is that you will find that you repeat yourself, saying the same word several times on a page. You must get out of that habit.

I could go on a lot like that, but that is quite enough for the moment. Get some paper and get going. You can only learn by doing it, and it is great. Oh yes, once you start you will need a notebook to keep with you all the time to write down things you suddenly think of. Things of which you suddenly think. Also, never use the word suddenly. Hope this helps.
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    Hang on!
    That's what my book what I wrote is about! >:(

I'm sure yours is better than mine was :)
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ignore all that 'bible' stuff - you don't really need it unless you're planning a seven book epic.

Books thrive on characters with plots designed to serve them. Give the reader a good reason to follow this character, to want to stay with them through this story. Look into how to structure a good story, look at how to actually write (avoiding the abuse of adverbs etc) and investigate basic principles like the rule of three.
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clank007 wrote: »
    do you write on a piece of software like Y-Writer to structure your book and sort out scenes with their characters etc. or do you just write in MS Word?
    I use "Scrivener". It makes structuring chapters quite easy and has an "export" function for creating Kindle eBooks for quick upload to Amazon.

I find MS Word is simply too bloated for my needs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure yours is better than mine was :)
    That should be
    "I'm sure yours is better than what mine was".
    If your going to rite a book you better know stuff like that.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've written several on various platforms, from wrist-crippling typewriters, to paper, a proper word processor and now a laptop. Best recommendation is just do it, don't worry about how it looks just put it down on whatever feels comfortable and whichever style you like.

First drafts are always awful.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't imagine any publisher accepting anything hand-written these days. It would need to be an obvious work of pure genius to get anyone even to look at it.

I would have thought that a recent Word format would be the most obvious choice, although I really can't see why any publisher would insist on double spacing. That is an archaic leftover from the days when all manuscripts were both written and proof-read manually.

Any proofreader comments will probably made using Word's own Mark-Up tools, although whenever I have received a document containing all those coloured lines it gives me a headache and confuses me so much that I have to copy the entire document and paste it into a brand new one as unformatted text. I'm sure there's somebody somewhere who understands it :D.
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the responses here have shown that there's no right or wrong when it comes to the process of writing. Everybody has their own way of doing things, and mine seems to change from book to book! The journey you go on with your characters is part of the fun, so just start writing and see where it takes you. Experiment with tenses and perspectives, (I can only write in the first person - third just seems too detached to me.)
    I always make a few preliminary notes (families trees, rough plot outline) on paper before I begin, but once I start typing I know the work and the characters will evolve and the plot will change, so I don't worry too much about writing a 'bible'.
    For me personally, it's about finding a character's voice. Once I get to 'know' them, telling their story comes easily. If you're writing something like The Night Watch, which took a lot of structuring, you will have a different way of developing your work.
    Worrying about editing and lay-out once you've got a first draft. And be prepared to do lots of re-writing and proof reading.
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best source of information is
    https://www.writersandartists.co.uk

And this free course (the OU has levels of courses)
    https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/start-writing-fiction

To get a publisher you should approach an agent for most publishing houses and if you want to self publish then there are lots of resources listed in Writers and Artists. What I strongly suggest as a creative writing gradute, published poet and self published author with about twenty years design experience in a leading UK publishing house - be as professional as you can including the cover design. Know your talents and commission experienced designers, illustrators, copyeditors for the bits you don't.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've written a lot though never had anything published (never even tried - unless you count fanfiction websites!)

I write in Word because that's what I have. I like it because I can copy and paste bits if I need to. The most recent thing I've written takes place over about 2-3 years and involves births and birthdays as important features so I've done a very basic Excel sheet which is a timeline so I can plot when/where things are happening so I don't get confused.

In terms of how I write, I've done 1st person and 3rd person, but I tend to stick to one character's viewpoint when I write 3rd person, even if that focaliser changes during a story. I've got 4 or 5 focalisers in my current project so whenever it's their 'turn' we only see things from their perspective. It's sort of the best of 1st and 3rd, as I know I'm not great at capturing a 'voice' for 1st person. In terms of past or present, I've only ever written in the past tense and I think present tense only truly works for 1st person anyway.

Strangely, the project I'm working on at the moment, I've not actually written chronologically. I started with an episode in the very middle of the story and have then filled in either side of it. It's actually helped to keep me interested as I've bounced around quite merrily from place to place in the story. I have no idea if it's a good thing - will have to see when I've finished it and go through to edit it.
  • humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, there's a DS thread entitled 'What are you writing at the moment?'
    Some of the contributors are published writers themselves.
    Here's the link -

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1786475&page=9

In my honest opinion, how vivid a story is to the author determines whether it's in first or third person or a combination of both. It might be the story itself dictates the necessity of one over the other.
    The style of prose is another consideration. Is your work to be considered a literary or non literary piece? Have you identified the voice of the protagonist as some have already suggested?

If you dismiss this or any other comment in this thread, please don't make the mistake of ignoring Eluf38's advice. For her work is of the very highest quality.