Options

Gamu gets another chance

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,207
Forum Member
www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s103/the-x-factor/news/a285640/x-factor-gamu-to-appeal-visa-decision.html
Honestly -
you become a minor celebrity and the rules go out of the window .

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    As far as I know, NO ONE, is getting sent back to Zimbabwe right now in any case?
  • Options
    minnie1957minnie1957 Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    Her mother has been given the right to appeal because of an administrative error. I cannot see how that means the "rules go out the window" She has the same rights as anyone else in that situation. Are you saying that because her daughter appeared on a TV show she should lose her rights?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    minnie1957 wrote: »
    Her mother has been given the right to appeal because of an administrative error. I cannot see how that means the "rules go out the window" She has the same rights as anyone else in that situation. Are you saying that because her daughter appeared on a TV show she should lose her rights?

Good post. Seems she is just being treated fairly. No doubt like many other folk, just we're hearing about this because it's Gamu.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You dont get to appeal - but if you reach minor celebrity status you do
  • Options
    Forum Member

I repeat, the govt is not carrying any deportations to zimbabwe at the moment. What has it to do with being a celebrity, minor or not?
  • Options
    JaggedcatJaggedcat Posts: 3,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody else gets to appeal under these circumstances and she does. Aint no justice in this crummy world. I hope her 'appeal' finds karma.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I repeat, the govt is not carrying any deportations to zimbabwe at the moment. What has it to do with being a celebrity, minor or not?

Becasue being a celebrity in the UK helps - you get treated differently .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jaggedcat wrote: »
    Nobody else gets to appeal under these circumstances and she does. Aint no justice in this crummy world. I hope her 'appeal' finds karma.

I am sorry, but its simply not true. ANYONE seeking asylum has rights to appeal.

Why do you say things like this?

What is the agenda you really are trying to push?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Of course, others can appeal :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member

Thanks jagged cat - sense at last prevails
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Becasue being a celebrity in the UK helps - you get treated differently .

Yes, of course that is true - and it applies to people born in England as much as people born in Zimbabwe

But you are stating that she is staying in the country because she is a celebrity, and the truth is that because of concerns about human rights issues in Zimbabwe, no deportations are being carried out there right now. It has simply nothing to do with Gamu appeaing on X Factor
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, of course that is true - and it applies to people born in England as much as people born in Zimbabwe

But you are stating that she is staying in the country because she is a celebrity, and the truth is that because of concerns about human rights issues in Zimbabwe, no deportations are being carried out there right now. It has simply nothing to do with Gamu appeaing on X Factor

My point is that being someone gets you advantages - just for Gamu aS for any other celebrity in the UK .But this proves that if you get well known and have people behind you the Government treats you differently .So in the UK everyone is not equal really
  • Options
    minnie1957minnie1957 Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    Thanks jagged cat - sense at last prevails

One person agrees with you, so from that you assume sense prevails:D

I can tell you what does not make sense; People arriving here from another part of Europe with a criminal record, who do not have to declare that criminal record, and then go and rape and murder some poor woman here. Why dont you sound off about that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    minnie1957 wrote: »
    One person agrees with you, so from that you assume sense prevails:D

I can tell you what does not make sense; People arriving here from another part of Europe with a criminal record, who do not have to declare that criminal record, and then go and rape and murder some poor woman here. Why dont you sound off about that?

No, no, let's concentrate on a young X Factor performer, whose family's solicitor is exercising a perfectly legal right to appeal a judgement in the same way as others could in similar circumstances :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My point is that being someone gets you advantages - just for Gamu aS for any other celebrity in the UK .But this proves that if you get well known and have people behind you the Government treats you differently .So in the UK everyone is not equal really

Nobody thinks everyone in the UK is equal.

But Gamu's family

1) has the same legal right of appeal that anyone does, no more of less

2) has not been deported because of the country of her birth, not because of her celebrity status

The point you made in your OP is simply not factually true.

In regards to her immigration status, Gamu has not received any special treatment whatsoever from the govt.
  • Options
    maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

With regards to Gamu, I wish you and your inaccurate and racist posts would be deported from this site.

Now that would be karma.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gamu, who has been in the UK since she was a child is quite right in using everything at her disposal to keep herself and her family in the UK. If you were being sent to Zimbabwe, would'nt you?
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With regards to Gamu, I wish you and your inaccurate and racist posts would be deported from this site.

Now that would be karma.

How are JC's posts racist? I will give you inaccurate as I cannot beleive that right to appeal isn't, well, a right, but where has he been racist? Has there been something on another thread?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you, Honolulula. I think most folk would have intrinsically thought that Gamu's family were just using a right of appeal available to all, But it is good to see that in black and white.

Maybe some "celebrities" are in a greater position to get the right advice and use it, but the OP's "rules go out the window" stuff is clearly nonsense.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fairness to the thread starter it was very widely reported at the time that the family were to be drported and had no right of appeal. I have googled as I thought it rang a bell and found multiple links to stories saying this, so it's easy to see how people could get the wrong end of the stick on this one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd forgot all about Gamu.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indiana44 wrote: »
    Thank you, Honolulula. I think most folk would have intrinsically thought that Gamu's family were just using a right of appeal available to all, But it is good to see that in black and white.

Maybe some "celebrities" are in a greater position to get the right advice and use it, but the OP's "rules go out the window" stuff is clearly nonsense.

Dunno where my post went, heh. :rolleyes:
    378. A deportation order may not be made while it is still open to the person to appeal against the Secretary of State's decision, or while an appeal is pending except where the Secretary of State is required to make the deportation order in respect of a foreign criminal under section 32(5) of the UK Borders Act 2007. There is no appeal within the immigration appeal system against the making of a deportation order on the recommendation of a court; but there is a right of appeal to a higher court against the recommendation itself. A deportation order may not be made while it is still open to the person to appeal against the relevant conviction, sentence or recommendation, or while such an appeal is pending.
    381. When a decision to make a deportation order has been taken (otherwise than on the recommendation of a court) a notice will be given to the person concerned informing him of the decision and of his right of appeal.

382. Following the issue of such a notice the Secretary of State may authorise detention or make an order restricting a person as to residence, employment or occupation and requiring him to report to the police, pending the making of a deportation order.

384. If a notice of appeal is given within the period allowed, a summary of the facts of the case on the basis of which the decision was taken will be sent to the appropriate appellate authorities, who will notify the appellant of the arrangements for the appeal to be heard.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member

This is wrong. The ban on deportations to Zimbabwe has been lifted.
  • Options
    David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Gamu's mum wins her appeal, they get the right to remain in the UK, just like anyone else in the same situation. It doesn't put Gamu back on the show, so no rules have been broken. She could try again next year if she wants.
    I think the whole situation was badly handled by X Factor. Wasn't there a Brazilian in 'So You Think You Can Dance' whose work permit had expired? The guy was an exceptional dancer and a very likely winner, but when his residency status came to light, NIgel Lithgow announced on air that they were sorry, they would love to keep him on the show, but they couldn't because of his legal status. He then invited him to get the matter sorted out and return for the next series. They could have done something along the same lines with Gamu and avoid all the furore. Unless they whipped it up deliberately, of course, which I would rather not believe because it would be a cynical manipulation of a rather vulnerable human being.
  • Options
    RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope she & her family can stay.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-11679562

One of the few worthy contenders for asylum in the UK.