KidsTv you refused to let your child watch??

2»

Comments

• eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember "Your Mother Wouldn't Like It"?.

Well, my mother didn't like it, and as a result I have never seen it.
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too was told by my mother that I was not allowed to watch Grange Hill, it was around the time when the character Zammo was taking drugs so around the mid 80's.

My mum used to do shift work as a nurse and my 2 brothers, who are 12 & 13 years older than me, used to babysit me when she was at work so I would watch it with them.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    RussellIan wrote: »
    I managed to do the sum once, within the time, when neither contestant nor even Carol was able to do it. Even doing it half a dozen times on paper afterwards, I was definitely right :D

That's very good :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    I was never allowed to watch Record Breakers as a kid.

When I grew up a bit I found out that is was due to the presence of the right-wing-fact-shitter-and-his-soon-to-be-smithereened-brother, so it was fair enough really (The fact that the Beeb was happy to employ people like that is of course yet another example of its left wing political bias).
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When I grew up a bit I found out that is was due to the presence of the right-wing-fact-shitter-and-his-soon-to-be-smithereened-brother.

The McWhirters? Were they really ultra-right wing?
    Forum Member
    The McWhirters? Were they really ultra-right wing?

Just a tad, IIRC they were quite paranoid too and saw communism's creeping influence everywhere, they labelled the IRA as being secretly communists, with which they took offence, hence the bombing.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I was never stopped watching Childrens TV in my day (60's/70's) did me no harm.
    Todays TV is just as harmless......in fact I enjoy it myself - Horrible Histories, MI High, and Sarah jane are brilliant!! :D

I think watching EE is bad for kids though!
  • The ManglerThe Mangler Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We stopped my daughter from watching some of the awful stuff that was on Cartoon Network in the mid-late 90s - I R Weasel, Catdog etc etc - it was dreadful stuff!
  • LordmilkymilkyLordmilkymilky Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    the tweenies.....I just can't stand it...hate it with a passion. When it comes on my kids already know it has to be changed. I'm so proud of them....;)
  • QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We stopped my daughter from watching some of the awful stuff that was on Cartoon Network in the mid-late 90s - I R Weasel, Catdog etc etc - it was dreadful stuff!

For this very reason, I banned all Disney channels in the house. Their shows are utter tosh and just unfunny.
  • LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything other than Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on the Disney Channel. No Bratz, Montana or any of that Americanised crap. She went to her mate's house the other week and fell asleep in front of Hannah Montana, bless her.

I keep her away from music channels as well

I remember trying to watch Why Don't You as a kid in the holidays and when they'd sing the line in the theme tune "Why don't you turn off your TV set and do something less boring instead" me Ma would say "too bloody right" and make me go to the dentist or tidy my room. Like THAT was preferable!
  • Sparklyblue171Sparklyblue171 Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm from the 90's (1991) and some of the kids programmes on Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Fox Kids were the best around, now it's utter trash and if you go on youtube especially to see tribute videos there are many who miss that era of shows.

As for Cartoon Network in the 90's the shows were things like Dexter's laboratory, Powerpuff girls, Johnny Bravo, etc. all good fun.
  • grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When I grew up a bit I found out that is was due to the presence of the right-wing-fact-shitter-and-his-soon-to-be-smithereened-brother, so it was fair enough really (The fact that the Beeb was happy to employ people like that is of course yet another example of its left wing political bias).

Yes , their number crunching appearances on RB were simply codes for political rants:rolleyes:

Strange that I don't recall politics coming into it at all

I don't know about them being communists but the Idiotic Republican Arseholes were just a bunch of thugs and its a real shame that not enough of them were slaughtered before the climb down
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    That would be My Super Sweet 16

They make me cringe awful kids...now she's an older teen she loves 'The Hills' I give up...:(
  • birdsongbirdsong Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I let my two watch anything meant for children when they were young, but that was before we had Sky.

My daughter got a lot out of Sesame Street, but my son less.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was allowed to watch what i wanted as a kid, dont think i was stopped watching anything??

Its now that my mum trys to 'control' what i watch, as soon as someones swears / takes thier top off, she'll tell me to turn it off or watch it upstairs. Its all incase my brother sees / hears something 'unsuitable'. Hes 12 and has sky in his room, she has no clue what hes watching, and its probaly worse then my stuff.
  • DuckSeasonDuckSeason Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I Am Weasel was one of the best cartoons on TV! :O Also stuff like Dexter's Laboratory, Powerpuff Girls, Cow and Chicken, Ed Edd & Eddy, Johnny Bravo - I could go on. If I ever have kids I'm buying DVDs of my old favourite cartoons and give to them to watch them to appreciate the good stuff of old. I've been watching clips back on Youtube and they still have some funny lines that would've whooshed past me as a kid.

I'd ban them from watching unfunny tosh like the live action stuff on Nickelodeon and MTV shows like Cribs, My Super Sweet 16. The last one especially. Hitting girls is always wrong, but the ones on that show bloody well push their luck,
    Forum Member
    Yes , their number crunching appearances on RB were simply codes for political rants:rolleyes:

Strange that I don't recall politics coming into it at all

I don't know about them being communists but the Idiotic Republican Arseholes were just a bunch of thugs and its a real shame that not enough of them were slaughtered before the climb down

I didn't say that they were giving their political views on air, just that the McWhiters had those extreme views (such as trying to take legal action against the existence of CND, their opposition to sporting sanctions made on apartheid-era South Africa and their objection to the BBC airing a concert celebrating Nelson Mandela's 70th Birthday), and so my parents didn't want me to view a program that they were involved in.

There has/is actually a series called 'Little Crackers' on Sky 1 this Xmas period and one episode is written by David Baddiel, it is about how Norris McWhirter visited their school one day to give a talk and all the kids were confused when they expected him to be talking about world records but instead he talked of nothing but his far right political views and his view that the British Empire should rule the world once more.

Correction to my original post: Ross McWhirter was shot by the IRA, not bombed but his assasins were also accused of bombings as well as his killing.
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    my husband has a Johnny Bravo t-shirt and loves it..it was a great cartoon though..my daughter's friend (who lives next door) can still sing the I am weasel song (she's 15 lol)
  • pebbles54pebbles54 Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Denise wrote: »
    I banned Horrid Henry in our house, it actually caused behavioural problems with my son.
    Same here,(with my daughter), Tracy Beaker. has same effect too,:(