"Full time mum" is NOT a job title

Comments

• BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allaboard wrote: »
    Don't forget Jeremy Kyle watching for you. Maybe hit the cooking sherry after lunch!

Is loose women still on? I've never seen it but I hear its required viewing for us lazy slatternly mums.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Is loose women still on? I've never seen it but I hear its required viewing for us lazy slatternly mums.

Love that "us slatternly mums":D First smile of the day:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GOGO2 wrote: »
    Lucky you!

I'm just about to drop my kids off at breakfast club because I have to work. :(
    Enjoy your day and make sure you DO spend lots of time drinking tea and watching shite day time TV... Just to make ctizen jealous! :D

Thankfully I have a job I enjoy, poor old citizen must really hate his... Sooo bitter!!

Oh I will, then I will go to bed once daddy gets home from his job, and get ready for my nightshift tonight! 1st of 4 :( Never mind, daddy takes over at the weekend, so I get a well earned rest, and daddy is dying to return to work on a Monday for a 'break'.... can't be that easy then lol! :D However, non of this compares to Citizens high pressure job.... people could die you know!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do do a real job which I real be returning to as soon as my baby is no longer dependent on me to be on call for him 24/7. I guess no job anyone else has is as high faluting and important as yours but we cant all be as wonderful and amazing as you. Just how do you cope with the pressures of being superman and being single handedly responsible for life on earth as we know it I di not know.

Sir, I doff my cap to you and just ask to bask in the presence of your amazingness for a few seconds more.

I am so happy to read this post Ber.... congrats on your new arrival :D
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Love that "us slatternly mums":D First smile of the day:)

S'true though -at least for me anyway. I was waiting outside tesco at 6.45 am and still had on the vest and shorts I slept in under my joggers and jumper :o
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S'true though -at least for me anyway. I was waiting outside tesco at 6.45 am and still had on the vest and shorts I slept in under my joggers and jumper :o

I was out dropping partner at bus at 6am with pjs on under joggers:D It is baltic cold tho. Thats my excuse:D
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, I have and you know what - its a short lived issue which is hardly the end of the world.

Honestly.

Try doing a real job with years or decades of actual unrelenting pressure and expectation. Try doing the daily commute against a deadline because there is a room full of people waiting for you. Try meeting goals and deadlines which if missed can result in death or injury for hundreds of thousands of people.

Then tell me about you whinging little baby.

Guess what, nobody asked anyone to have any baby.

I really, really want to know what your job is. It sounds very dramatic and I'm a tiny bit concerned that you are responsible for so many lives. Are you in charge of any kind of large weapons or missiles?
  • KaliMistKaliMist Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    'Full time mum' is one of those little things that irk me too, I'm a full time mum, I also happen to work 40 hours a week.

If you have the luxury or being able to afford not to work, through either a rich partner or the benefit system throwing money at you then you are a stay at home mum, housewife or unemployed… take your pick! 'Full time mum' implies that us working mums are part time, which is not the case at all, as parents we have to deal with enough guilt so it is understandable why some people get a little bit annoyed with people using that term to describe their employment status!
  • missymorganmissymorgan Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it damned annoying when they say that. They want to try my job - it doesn't simply involve opening my legs, feeding, cleaning and ignoring some little brat parked in front of the telly all day!

Anyone with a few assorted brain-cells can manage that.

Yeah anyone with a few braincells can do that, but to me thats not parenting.

As I said in my earlier post I also work and spending the rest of my time with my child does not involve parking her in front of the TV. Both things are challenging in there own way but I wouldn't denigrate people who choose to look after their children full time instead of paid employment.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    This thread could run and run. Some people don't have a clue and are full of their own self importance.

No doubt they'll get stroppy some time around mid-morning when they've had their sleep rudely interrupted by their screaming kids and their sixth leisurely cup of coffee in front of the telly.

Now that's irony :D
  • Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »
    I was watching The Weakest Link the other day and when they all went around giving their job titles one woman said "I'm Sonia and I'm a full time mum" This kind of talk really makes me cringe and ditto when women say being a full time mum is "the hardest job in the world" Bollocks is it! You should love looking after your child, dont class it as a bloody job! :rolleyes: A job is what you do to support/feed the child.

What do you think of people who go on like this?

If it's not a job, then childcare would be free?
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    KaliMist wrote: »
    'Full time mum' is one of those little things that irk me too, I'm a full time mum, I also happen to work 40 hours a week.

If you have the luxury or being able to afford not to work, through either a rich partner or the benefit system throwing money at you then you are a stay at home mum, housewife or unemployed… take your pick! 'Full time mum' implies that us working mums are part time, which is not the case at all, as parents we have to deal with enough guilt so it is understandable why some people get a little bit annoyed with people using that term to describe their employment status!

The term full time mum doesnt irk me..it means someone who stays at home to look after their children..they dont use before school,after school clubs,dont employ someone during school holidays or rely on relatives,they dont employ a childminder,or use a nursery full time etc..they do all the school drop offs at 8.45am and collect at 3.15am or have their child with them all day if not school age..they are a full time mum..

I dont think anyone who goes to work is a part time mum..they are a mum!..but they do rely on others paid or otherwise to cover those hours when they are at work..be it full time care for preschool child or part time care for school children...without this extra help they couldnt work full time.

I know at our primary school breakfast club runs from 7.30am till school starts..and runs from 3.25 till 6pm..so that is 4 hours per day of paid childcare for mums working full time..4 hours that full time mums look after their own child..(not saying any is right or wrong)..but thats 20 hours a week paid childcare..for a 40 hour working week (travel aside) this covers half the working hours..then school hoilday clubs for 14 weeks of the year..again full time mum doesnt use them..mum who works does..I have done each..worked full time with children,worked from home with children,worked part time with children and stayed home with children..having children your life is more chaotic whatever route you take..

I will stress again none is right and none is wrong..but this argument that working mums are full time mums and full time mums are stay at home mums is crazy..mums who work HAVE to rely on others somewhere along the way..and thats fine..full time mums dont..and thats fine..but I really dont like the insinuation from working mums that they do both as if by magic..you dont..you employ people or have helpful relatives.

Preschool children..you need to weigh up if its worth the cost..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, I have and you know what - its a short lived issue which is hardly the end of the world.

Honestly.

Try doing a real job with years or decades of actual unrelenting pressure and expectation. Try doing the daily commute against a deadline because there is a room full of people waiting for you. Try meeting goals and deadlines which if missed can result in death or injury for hundreds of thousands of people.

Then tell me about you whinging little baby.

Guess what, nobody asked anyone to have any baby.

You've clocked up over 1000 posts in 8 months.

I don't believe you have a job
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    You've clocked up over 1000 posts in 8 months.

I don't believe you have a job

I think you are probably right..probably fast asleep now till 2pm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shirlt9 wrote: »
    I think you are probably right..probably fast asleep now till 2pm.

lol this man has a very important job, people lives depend on this man doing his commute to a deadline (what ever that means) every day!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he/she is referring to a war game on their X box
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    bambii wrote: »
    lol this man has a very important job, people lives depend on this man doing his commute to a deadline (what ever that means) every day!

He isn't even prepared to queue in Tesco it's that important.

And he has chosen to not disclose this incredibly important job despite being (inevitably) asked; we're to take his word that it is a super-ultra-mega important job with lives constantly at stake.

Secret services or SAS perhaps? Maybe he's Jack Bauer. :p
  • gavinfarrellygavinfarrelly Posts: 6,195
    Forum Member
    This thread could run and run. Some people don't have a clue and are full of their own self importance.

No doubt they'll get stroppy some time around mid-morning when they've had their sleep rudely interrupted by their screaming kids and their sixth leisurely cup of coffee in front of the telly.

Oh the irony :rolleyes:
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Boyard wrote: »
    I was watching The Weakest Link the other day and when they all went around giving their job titles one woman said "I'm Sonia and I'm a full time mum" This kind of talk really makes me cringe and ditto when women say being a full time mum is "the hardest job in the world" Bollocks is it! You should love looking after your child, dont class it as a bloody job! :rolleyes: A job is what you do to support/feed the child.

What do you think of people who go on like this?

It is a full time job looking after children. Certainly until they go to school. And when they come home, they can make your life a misery with their incessant me me me demands, pester power etc.
  • CatWolfCatWolf Posts: 2,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would not consider sitting on my arse talking into a microphone at a call centre every day as work or a wide variety of other useless easy jobs like being a dj, or a comedian.

being a mum is a job and its full time if you are at home.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CatWolf wrote: »
    I would not consider sitting on my arse talking into a microphone at a call centre every day as work or a wide variety of other useless easy jobs like being a dj, or a comedian.

How is working in a call centre a useless job? I assume you have never spoken to someone at a call centre?
  • gavinfarrellygavinfarrelly Posts: 6,195
    Forum Member

Speaking from experience, its actually a lot more stressful than people think it is. Night after night you have to deal with drunken arseholes who do not understand that you have not got a song that was played for the first time on the radio this morning yet...and things like that. I have actually been attacked when I was at work many times over trivial things like that. That said, the pay is amazing...I do very few hours and can afford to live comfortably, so I put up with the shit that comes with the job :p
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

Being a DJ is not an easy job, if you are half decent at it.

Nor is being a comedian.

laurent garnier live @ Exit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOD605hYIQQ
    (last hour or so)

Carl Cox live & Green Velvet @ exit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reIuQJq3wvU

The equipment set up alone is a major job.

And good mixing of tunes is an acquired skill. If you can also make 25000 people have a good time together at once, let us know.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So far, I think we've established:

Some people think someone who doesn't go out to work, but stays at home to look after her children is not doing a full-time job.

If she looks after her children, but is also paid to look after another person's child in exactly the same way, she is doing a full-time job.

So can we deduce that only paid work counts as a job?

In that case, all those marvellous voluntary workers are not doing any kind of job, contrary to popular belief.
  • Enter_the_monkEnter_the_monk Posts: 2,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking after a couple of little ankebiters is definately a full time job....;)