What would be your preferred two party Coalition in 2015?

2»

Comments

• jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member
    Farage has already stated he will not work with DC. It will be Boris.

Fascinating quote seeing as neither of them are mps :rolleyes:
  • ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    Zeus wrote: »
    Only 5.95% would prefer for the current coalition to continue. Says it all really.

Well possible says more about the current lack of understanding of which party lies were in the political spectrum. Anyone who thinks Clegg and Miliband can work together effectively must be mistaking those two party leaders for Kennedy and Blair.

Thankfully efforts are being made to eliminate the Social Democrat legacy in the LD and head more orange.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjne wrote: »
    You clearly haven't been paying attention. There is more than one Conservative backbencher with the same mentality as Nadine Dorries.

Is that what you would prefer? That lot getting under Cameron's skin?

The LDs are doing a very good job of keeping the loonies in check. So good, in fact, that people don't even seem to be noticing them. For that, I for one am eternally grateful -- far rather the current crock of sh!t than a weak Tory leader being led by his balls by his Right-wing back bench.

That's why we need either a low-majority Tory government, or even better, a Tory/UKIP one next time. To show old fools like you the meaning of modern Right-wing Conservatism -- and cure the country of any thoughts of employing them again, such that the Tory Party can return to its rightful pre-Thatcher place as a decent political movement.

ERM, I know I am 'getting on a bit' now, as I turn 60 next month, but I don't think the memory is quite 'gawn' yet, cause I seem to remember that the Tories failed to win a majority WAAAAAY back in 2010, meaning that the options were, go it alone as a minority government or try to form a coalition with the limp damps,
    Now HAD the limp damps really wanted to put a spanner in some of the Tories nastier policies then surely the most effective way of doing that would have been to force them to govern as a minority government, that way the Fib Dumbs could have chosen to vote FOR any policies the Tories put forward that they agreed with, while joining Labour and the rest of the majority of opposition parties in voting down anything they disagreed with,

Instead they decided to throw away their 'principles' at the first whiff of the new leather of the ministerial limos seats by agreeing to drop most of their policies and principles for the promise of a handful of beans,
    HAD they joined the opposition we would have no bedroom fine, no back door privatisation of the NHS, no wholesale attack on the welfare system that our forebears fought so long and hard to put in place, no demonising of the unemployed, the low paid, the sick, the disabled and the dying,
    I despise the Limp Damps even MORE than the Tories,
    the Tories are just Tories BEING Tories, we knew what to expect and they certainly aren't letting us down,
    But I, and many millions of others, always thought of the "ex" Liberal "ex" Democrats, as 'good guys' decent people of principle people who DID actually want to make this a better country for everyone,

I hope the electorate punish them severely come the next election,
  • Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Labour/Green for me as well.

Could there ever be a UKIP/BNP alliance?
  • Absolute RotterAbsolute Rotter Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New Labour / Old Labour
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ERM, I know I am 'getting on a bit' now, as I turn 60 next month, but I don't think the memory is quite 'gawn' yet, cause I seem to remember that the Tories failed to win a majority WAAAAAY back in 2010, meaning that the options were, go it alone as a minority government or try to form a coalition with the limp damps,
    Now HAD the limp damps really wanted to put a spanner in some of the Tories nastier policies then surely the most effective way of doing that would have been to force them to govern as a minority government, that way the Fib Dumbs could have chosen to vote FOR any policies the Tories put forward that they agreed with, while joining Labour and the rest of the majority of opposition parties in voting down anything they disagreed with,

Instead they decided to throw away their 'principles' at the first whiff of the new leather of the ministerial limos seats by agreeing to drop most of their policies and principles for the promise of a handful of beans,
    HAD they joined the opposition we would have no bedroom fine, no back door privatisation of the NHS, no wholesale attack on the welfare system that our forebears fought so long and hard to put in place, no demonising of the unemployed, the low paid, the sick, the disabled and the dying,
    the Tories are just Tories BEING Tories, we knew what to expect and they certainly aren't letting us down,
    But I, and many millions of others, always thought of the "ex" Liberal "ex" Democrats, as 'good guys' decent people of principle people who DID actually want to make this a better country for everyone,

"Limp damps", "Fib Dumbs", "'ex' Liberal 'ex' Democrats"... such childish epithets immediately mark one out as a crank whose viewpoint can be safely disregarded.

You're right in one aspect - the Lib Dems had a choice regarding whether they could do the most good by propping up a minority Government, by propping up a Coalition Government, or by refusing to do any deal at all.

Each of those choices had consequences. Your notion of a Parliament in which the Lib Dems sided with the Opposition parties on issues with which it disagreed would also have had consequences - they would have been hounded by the right-of-centre press for putting party before country (we had a foretaste of that when it was revealed that there were talks going on with Labour), and eventually there would have arisen an issue on which the Government's defeat would have led to a fresh General Election, and one that the Tories might have won outright. And in such an arrangement, no Lib Dem policies would have seen the light of day at all, and the Lib Dems would probably still have been punished by some supporters for allowing a Tory Government to last as long as it did, and would have suffered from third-party squeeze in a hastily-called General Election.

It's all very well saying that they made the wrong choice. Most of the country would probably agree with you - though hindsight is a wonderful thing, and far fewer people agreed with you back in 2010 than do so in 2013. And when it comes to the motives for that choice, it appears that your speculation is essentially driven by emotion, not reason. As for your memory, I must be circumspect in passing judgement...
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member

Good.

For you I fervently hope for a UKIP/Con coalition next time around.

The Left will be marching on the streets within three months.

Maybe then you'll realise the good the 18% of the Government that isn't Tory is doing for everyone. The difference between being dragged along, and doing the dragging.
  • WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKIP / Con but with UKIP making the big decisions as the senior partner