Options

How it can be a future doctor: Explained

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
Forum Member
Ok so lots of people are saying 'how can Hurt be a future Doctor because the 11th Doctor would never allow himself to meet a future Doctor and a future Doctor would never reveal himself to a past Doctor, so heres how its possibly

Timey Whimey....

We know the 50th Anniversary Episode features Doctor 10,11 and Hurt. That means that 10th is likely to meet Hurt's Character and if Hurt is a future Doctor he will obviously discover this too. So bye the time we meet 11th at Trenzalore he will have this memory he experienced as Doctor 10 of meeting Hurts future Doctor and know who he is.

So to sum up, Doctor 10 meets Hurt's future Doctor in the 50th Anniversary episode, he then regenerates into 11 in The End of Time, 11 goes to Trenzalore and meets Hurt's Future Doctor again, this time with the knowledge of what ever he has done.

And thats how he knows a future Doctor Broke the promise made a long time ago. No need for Doctor 8.5 or any other past Doctor Theories

Simple really

Comments

• Options
    Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Matt says "He WAS me"
  • Options
    jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    But Matt says "He WAS me"

I second that how come some people don't listen to the dialogue properly or point blank ignore it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    He's either pre Hartnell or a later 11th. The crashed Tardis with the cracked glass matching the Tomb Tardis points to Hurt being there since the 11th crashed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    But... He said "I SAID he was me". Isn't this "reported speech"? He says "He's me" at first.
  • Options
    PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He isn't a future Doctor. He is a past version; I don't get why people can't understand/accept this.
  • Options
    ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But... He said "I SAID he was me". Isn't this "reported speech"? He says "He's me" at first.

Yes! The actual dialogue leaves it ambiguous.
    Piipp wrote: »
    He isn't a future Doctor. He is a past version; I don't get why people can't understand/accept this.

To be fair, that's the point of this forum. And the scene deliberately left it open for speculation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's from the lost years and he regenerated from 8. He's got something to do with the Time War (we even had Clara reading a book about it) and I think this will all lead into the Time Lords and Gallifrey returning. There's only so long they can play the 'last of the Time Lords' card and Moffat has already done SO much to take Who back to it's roots and reverse a lot of the damage RTD did to the mythology of the show (and before anyone jumps on me, I love the RTD era, however, I can appreciate it's not really practical to have everyone on Earth knowing about the Daleks, it's just not believable that a giant Cyberking invaded Victorian London and no one remembered, and that the stories need to be brought down in the scale of the effect they have) that it's only fitting he should be the one to bring back the Time Lords.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ea91 wrote: »
    Yes! The actual dialogue leaves it ambiguous.

To be fair, that's the point of this forum. And the scene deliberately left it open for speculation.

But I think it's been made blindingly obvious that he's a previous incarnation. I think people are looking for twists where they don't exist because we've become so used to Moffat turning everything on it's head and making things as complicated as they can be; now people are constantly trying to second guess him and stay one step ahead when actually we're already quite in line.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    He's a past version with relation to the "Tardis Tomb". There can only be a past due to the inside of the Tardis and the cracked window. Has anyone looked at how his age has jumped around and possible gaps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I think it's been made blindingly obvious that he's a previous incarnation. I think people are looking for twists where they don't exist because we've become so used to Moffat turning everything on it's head and making things as complicated as they can be; now people are constantly trying to second guess him and stay one step ahead when actually we're already quite in line.

Is it blindingly obvious though? I don't think he's a future Doctor or The Valeyard, but I can see why some people might think that. The argument is that the time war is no secret and that Moffat wouldn't mess with the numbering of the incarnations. Furthermore, Clara didn't visit his timeline for some reason and the GI specifically mentioned The Valeyard in the finale, I think it was a red herring but some people think it was foreshadowing John Hurt's character.

Personally, I think Hurt could easily be the pre-Hartnell Doctor since the Hartnell-through-McCoy Doctor had a lot of secrets that were never revealed and seeing Hartnell steal the TARDIS may have been foreshadowing. Or another red herring.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it blindingly obvious though? I don't think he's a future Doctor or The Valeyard, but I can see why some people might think that. The argument is that the time war is no secret and that Moffat wouldn't mess with the numbering of the incarnations. Furthermore, Clara didn't visit his timeline for some reason and the GI specifically mentioned The Valeyard in the finale, I think it was a red herring but some people think it was foreshadowing John Hurt's character.

Personally, I think Hurt could easily be the pre-Hartnell Doctor since the Hartnell-through-McCoy Doctor had a lot of secrets that were never revealed and seeing Hartnell steal the TARDIS may have been foreshadowing. Or another red herring.

But it wouldn't mess with the numbering if he's not called 'the Doctor.' I think it was wrong for them to introduce him as that, because clearly Eleven doesn't regard him as 'the Doctor' but I think they put that on the screen (introducing John Hurt as the Doctor) more to shock the viewers and make us aware in no uncertain terms that this is the same man, whether Eleven counts him as the Doctor or not. So, if he's NOT regarded as 'the Doctor' it wouldn't really mess with the numbering.

I think the Hartnell scene was just for fan pleasing personally. And what a fan pleasing scene it was! It was reminiscent of the opening of LOST series three in the small village when you're think 'where the hell are we?' and suddenly it pans out and you realise; you're watching a scene you've always wanted to.
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Pertwee can know that he's going to become teeth and curls per The Five Doctors, Smith can know he's going to be Hurt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see the merit in a few different theories at the moment. another possible way he would know is if the future doctor was one who went back and did something on gallifrey, which caused doc1 to leave. So he would both know who he was AND he'd be from his future. He could also say from his past too in that instance i guess, even though he hasn't done it yet :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it wouldn't mess with the numbering if he's not called 'the Doctor.' I think it was wrong for them to introduce him as that, because clearly Eleven doesn't regard him as 'the Doctor' but I think they put that on the screen (introducing John Hurt as the Doctor) more to shock the viewers and make us aware in no uncertain terms that this is the same man, whether Eleven counts him as the Doctor or not. So, if he's NOT regarded as 'the Doctor' it wouldn't really mess with the numbering.

Well you don't have to convince me about the numbering, as I suspect Hurt could be pre-Hartnell. But if Hurt is the 9th incarnation, why didn't Clara visit his timeline? It could be explained by some timey wimey timelock, but it would be a cop out. But if the Doctor had a life before stealing the TARDIS, it's understandable the GI would not have targeted him there. I think the show still owes us answers about how the hell the Doctor acquired a granddaughter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you don't have to convince me about the numbering, as I suspect Hurt could be pre-Hartnell. But if Hurt is the 9th incarnation, why didn't Clara visit his timeline? It could be explained by some timey wimey timelock, but it would be a cop out. But if the Doctor had a life before stealing the TARDIS, it's understandable the GI would not have targeted him there. I think the show still owes us answers about how the hell the Doctor acquired a granddaughter.

The problem with that is that Hurt's character 'broke the promise' and the promise is the name. If he wasn't called the Doctor until Hartnell, how could he break a promise not yet made? Although I do think the pre-Hartnell theory has more substance than any future Doctor theory.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with that is that Hurt's character 'broke the promise' and the promise is the name. If he wasn't called the Doctor until Hartnell, how could he break a promise not yet made? Although I do think the pre-Hartnell theory has more substance than any future Doctor theory.

That's easy. He could've have made the promise (whatever it is) and broken it, so when he regenerated into Hartnell he decided to drop his real name. It makes sense since we aren't clear on what the promise is exactly. I hardly think it's "I promise to call myself the Doctor."
  • Options
    missymorganmissymorgan Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because we are told he broke the promise of A name not necessarily THE name.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because we are told he broke the promise of A name not necessarily THE name.

Exactly. The name he refuses to speak out loud. The secret he's been running from all his life. Doctor Who? John Hurt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the promise appears to be 'the Doctor,' thus he is not regarded as the Doctor because he broke that promise. And, as he did the things he did 'not in the name of the Doctor' then it certainly seems the promise he broke is the name of the Doctor.

If I were to set about certain things I wanted myself to be, and certain things I didn't want to do under my character, and I went and broke those things, then those things weren't done under the name Piipp. Thus the promise is broken.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's easy. He could've have made the promise (whatever it is) and broken it, so when he regenerated into Hartnell he decided to drop his real name. It makes sense since we aren't clear on what the promise is exactly. I hardly think it's "I promise to call myself the Doctor."

No because we are told a name is like a promise and he is the one who broke the promise. The promise is the name, whatever it may be. The clue is in the piece of dialogue that what he did was in the name of peace and sanity, but the reply is nit in the name of the doctor. It may be a hint that Hurt was not called the doctor at the time, hence it not affecting the numbering whether it is pre Hartnell or pre Eccleston.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the promise appears to be 'the Doctor,' thus he is not regarded as the Doctor because he broke that promise. And, as he did the things he did 'not in the name of the Doctor' then it certainly seems the promise he broke is the name of the Doctor.

If I were to set about certain things I wanted myself to be, and certain things I didn't want to do under my character, and I went and broke those things, then those things weren't done under the name Piipp. Thus the promise is broken.

It does appear to be but we are only told the name you choose is like a promise, we are not told what name Hurt chose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does appear to be but we are only told the name you choose is like a promise, we are not told what name Hurt chose.

But I would assume the name he HAD was the Doctor and that he broke the promise and thus no longer deserved the name of the Doctor. That's the only way it would make sense, especially with Eleven being so cold towards him. 'But not in the name of the Doctor!' heavily implies he went under the name of the Doctor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is all getting a bit too confusing. Whichever Doctor Hurt really is, Moffat probably tried to make sure he does not disrupt the current numbering by stating Hurt did not act in the name of the Doctor. Hence, this whole promise business which I think was largely an attempt at a metaphor. A name cannot be a promise, that's ridiculous, a promise needs some conditions which evidently Hurt broke.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is all getting a bit too confusing. Whichever Doctor Hurt really is, Moffat probably tried to make sure he does not disrupt the current numbering by stating Hurt did not act in the name of the Doctor. Hence, this whole promise business which I think was largely an attempt at a metaphor. A name cannot be a promise, that's ridiculous, a promise needs some conditions which evidently Hurt broke.

I don't think it's a literal promise; more of a metaphor. Basically Eleven's way of saying that what Hurt did went against what the Doctor stands for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But I would assume the name he HAD was the Doctor and that he broke the promise and thus no longer deserved the name of the Doctor. That's the only way it would make sense, especially with Eleven being so cold towards him. 'But not in the name of the Doctor!' heavily implies he went under the name of the Doctor.

He will have taken the name of the doctor at some point but we don't categorically know that is the name of which the promise was taken. He may have taken the doctor name to 'cure' the broken promise of the name he chose first. Unlikely but no less probable than some theories on here and it would allow room for the story of the doctor's origins to be explored without mucking up the numbering.