Great British Sewing Bee 8pm BBC2

Comments

• HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    Well, most grown ups do none of those things.

It'll be a boost for his career despite not winning.

I agree .... Grown ups just deal with it quietly and in a way that's appropriate for the occasion. Some deep breathing and acknowledging to himself that he had done well to get this far might have helped him. I wouldn't show myself up by crying on TV for something so small in the great scheme of things.

Lord help him if he ever has a real tragedy or disaster in his life. Do people burst into tears at important job interviews or appointments? I don't think so and they can be equally stressful.

It doesn't mean that you're a "cold fish" as Janet says. Neither does it mean you have to hit out or shout ...... I wonder why she thinks that's what people do? It means that you are able to exert some self control and handle yourself in tricky situations.
  • J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even in your own private sewing cave when you've invested an awful lot of time, thought and care into making something it can be upsetting when things seem to have gone very wrong.
    When you add to that doing it in front of 3 million people and the 'competition' I have no surprise at seeing a few tears from any of them (well probably not Neil!). Ryan is also very young and more invested in this if he plans to have a career in sewing afterwards. It will mean a lot to him to do well - so he got upset, no big deal. Everyone is different and react to situations differently.
    I was sorry to see him go and still not convinced it was the right decision but do think his nerves got the better of him yesterday.
  • GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I am sad and would have preferred Ryan to stay I do think he was the right choice based solely on performance this week. I also think him trying to justify the mistake with his kilt when being judged was a mistake. It seemed to upset Patrick which isn't a good idea just before they decide who is going home.
    Such a shame this is only 6 episodes. I wonder why - it gets good viewing figures, why cant it run as long as GBBO?
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grown ups do not deal with stressful situations quietly! That is why there is road rage, fights, and wars!

Ryan was only in his early 20s, give him a break!
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    Grown ups do not deal with stressful situations quietly! That is why there is road rage, fights, and wars!

Ryan was only in his early 20s, give him a break!

Sensible and well balanced adults do though. :). would you want to be grouped with road rage aggressors? I don't think so.

being eliminated from a sewing competition is more about being disappointed than being stressed.

Ryan did well and should be proud of how far he got.
    That's all I'm saying on the subject. :)
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Janet43 wrote: »
    So if you're stressed, you just live with it without any release, or perhaps you're a cold fish and have no emotions at all. Scary.

No, Janet, I'm not a cold fish. Nor am I scary. It's a thread about a sewing competition - not really worth resorting to childish name-calling over, is it?

There's so much crying on all these reality shows recently. It gets a bit irritating after a while.
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anybody actually beat Neil?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiggywink wrote: »
    Can anybody actually beat Neil?

Doubt it. Not sure anyone should really. I like him and dislike him in equal measure but I am most impressed with his skill so far. The next nearest seems to be Lorna although I think Deborah did well this week. Mat and Paul seem to be about egual.
  • Sal*UKSal*UK Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    I doubt it really - I pegged Neal and Lorna to be in the final, and still think that will be.
  • fern3fern3 Posts: 1,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget, we all thought Richard (the builder with the pencil) was a dead cert for winning the Bake Off. And then he had a nightmare of a final and Nancy won. Same could easily happen to Neil. He's not immune to mistakes (remember last week's sheer blouse?)

And how can we forget lovely Chinelo last year, who was so talented and completely lost it when sewing a tie in the final.
  • Sal*UKSal*UK Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    Ohhh true!

It could all go pearshaped, but I suspect he would cope well under any kind of pressure.

Nice bunch this year - they are all very good. My only grouse is the fact that it is such a short series.
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Well I can't see anything wrong with releasing stress or expressing joy or sadness with tears and I don't understand people who don't let their feelings show. I admit that seeing the first contestants on the Peoples Strictly the other night, I got through half a box of tissues along with very many others who haven't been frightened to admit to it on other forums.

Back on topic. I got my copy of the new Sewing Bee book this morning. On the pattern and project front, it has a pattern pack with full-sized patterns printed on both sides of 5 sheets for:

Walkaway dress
    Leather jacket
    Vintage-inspire blouse and collar blouse
    Classic man's T-shirt
    Jumpsuit and camisole top and casual trousers
    Kid's board shorts
    Corset top and bustier
    Drape and stripey dress
    Lace pencil skirt and tweed mini
    Three-hour slouchy cardigan and kimono jacket

It also has instructions for other projects that don't need a pattern such as Neil's kilt and Lorna's curtain skirt.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J.R wrote: »
    Really sad to see Ryan go
    It was right that Amanda went though - my other half says she does everything Rs backwards!

Me too - I didn't feel it was Ryan's time to go, just yet anyway and surprised they didn't give him the benefit of the doubt at least one more week, as he'd been pretty strong as a whole and this was his first wobbly one. I think when it was going wrong, the realisation he could go, got to him, especially with the threat of the double hanging over him. Amanda seemed lovely, but maybe a bit too laid back - she spent an awfu lot of time either hoping for the best or hoping she'd get it done on time. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too - I didn't feel it was Ryan's time to go, just yet anyway and surprised they didn't give him the benefit of the doubt at least one more week, as he'd been pretty strong as a whole and this was his first wobbly one. I think when it was going wrong, the realisation he could go, got to him, especially with the threat of the double hanging over him. Amanda seemed lovely, but maybe a bit too laid back - she spent an awfu lot of time either hoping for the best or hoping she'd get it done on time. :D

I think Amanda was poor at time management, to do her own bias binding was illadvised when your up against the clock. On her kilt she seemed to spend ages on the facing when everyone else started with the pleats. Nice but a bit scatty maybe.

I'm saying that knowing full well if I was in that position I would never cope with the time pressure, I think that is harder than anything else. Even without the time issue I thought their kilts were amazing but add into the mix having to do it in such a short time I think they all did amazingly well.
  • CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    I guessed from the start that Amanda was out this week - she has been extremely lucky the last couple of weeks, and IMHO should have gone at least last week if not the week before.

When the judges were discussing who was going, they said they were certain about one (Amanda) but the other one was between Ryan and Paul, and like they have done before, they ignored previous week's efforts and judged purely on this weeks'. I remember them kicking out lovely Lynda in the semi last year when she had been brilliant all series, had more garments of the week than anyone else, and even in the semi did two lovely garments and then had her disaster - she should have been in the final over Tamara and her freak fashion!

I agree that between Ryan and Paul, that Ryan has shown more skill, talent and creativity, and on the basis of previous week's efforts deserved to stay, and even in this "bad" week, there wasn't that much between him and Paul......

Oh - and by the way - as has been pointed out - Irish kilts are plain (saffron) fabric - and are part of the dress uniform of at least one Irish regiment?
  • Dora_JarDora_Jar Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Oh God ... Ryan crying. Why does everyone have to cry these days. It's pathetic.:cry:

You're complaining about a normal bodily function?! What's wrong with crying?
  • ArtytartyArtytarty Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    I'm inter step to hear about the book! But I don't understand why the patterns sheets are printed on both sides. How do,you cut out then, without ruining one? Or is a lot of very clever folding and snipping necessary?
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Artytarty wrote: »
    I'm inter step to hear about the book! But I don't understand why the patterns sheets are printed on both sides. How do,you cut out then, without ruining one? Or is a lot of very clever folding and snipping necessary?

There are probably intructions how to transfer the patterns to your fabric.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's like the Burda magazines you trace them off. Each pattern has a different type of line to follow. It's a bit of a pain but doable.
    Forum Member
    Artytarty wrote: »
    You trace the patterns on to separate pieces of paper.

One way of doing it is to use wallpaper lining paper or sheets of newsprint (i.e. the type of paper used for newspapers but without the printing on as used by children for painting on in school), place dressmaker's carbon paper face down on it and then put the printed pattern sheet over the top. Use either a tracing wheel without serrations or spikes (like a pizza cutter) or a small-balled embossing tool, so it doesn't indent the original printed pattern too much and ruin it, to go over the outline of the pattern piece, transferring it to the lining paper/newsprint.

The pieces for different garments on the same printed sheet are printed in different colours to make them easy to identify.
  • ArtytartyArtytarty Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone, obviously I meant to type interested not inter step!
    Personally I don't care much for the walk away dress, I think it would look awful on me, I'm too old!but some of the other patterns sound good.
  • lorrylorry Posts: 2,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really love this programme, it's the highlight of my week and I wish it was going to be more than 6 episodes this series.

However, considering the programme is called "Sewing Bee" not "Tailoring Bee" I do wish they would do some projects about other things than making clothes. Sewing is such a versatile hobby and making items like handbags, soft toys, and homewares like small quilts, cushions, wall hangings and suchlike would be such a great way of showcasing creative talents like design, embroidery, patchwork etc.

But for now, I think Lorna and Neil are the standout contestants this year and I'd be really pleased to see either of them win.
    Forum Member
    Was looking at the books from the three series last night. The tasks are definotely much harder his series.

The projects in the first series book include a tunic , pyjama trousers summer dress, a hacking jacket, a fitted dress, boyfriend shirt, an edge-to-edge jacket. Claudia narrated some simple projects such as a laundy back, and there are simple things in the book like a floor cushion, a roman blind and a couple of aprons.

The second series got more structured and was divided into fabric, fit and finish so they included stretch leggings, a waterproof anorak, a slip dress in shiny fabric, a coat, a zip fly and a box-pleated skirt. There were no really simple projects in the book entitled "Sew Your Own Wardrobe" .

And this year they've gone for types of fabric - cotton, wool and other animal fibres, stretch fabrics and luxury fabrics - and we've had included cotton trousers (without stretch but must fit), the walkaway dress, the children's fancy dress in all sorts of fabric, a corset, a kilt and there's a leather jacket to come! So I think they've definitely upped the standard. This year's book is "Fashion with Fabric".

And lorry, they did a Christmas special, after the first series with the semi-finalists from it making other than clothes, which I recorded and in which both May and Patrick sew - a teddy bear, garden tool belt, a Christmas tree decorations, Christmas applique on a sweater (made and worn by Patrick), an patchwork and appliqued paneled table runner, personalised embroidered table napkin, a satchel/messenger bag, a fabric covered doll house (bit like a gingerbread house, a sewing box, apron, hot water bottle cover, fabric notebook cover, and a coin purse.
  • lorrylorry Posts: 2,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    And lorry, they did a Christmas special, after the first series with the semi-finalists from it making other than clothes, which I recorded and in which both May and Patrick sew - a teddy bear, garden tool belt, a Christmas tree decorations, Christmas applique on a sweater (made and worn by Patrick), an patchwork and appliqued paneled table runner, personalised embroidered table napkin, a satchel/messenger bag, a fabric covered doll house (bit like a gingerbread house, a sewing box, apron, hot water bottle cover, fabric notebook cover, and a coin purse.
    Thanks for that info Janet. I never saw that programme so if anybody knows where I can find it I'd be grateful!
    Forum Member
    lorry, I'll have a go at transferring it to DVD sometime during the week and will let you know if I manage it.