Options

Heart Stations

Comments

• Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amara wrote: »
    Just shows the lack of ability if all presenters can do is quote Twitter feeds that listeners can look at anyway.

Cannot say reading Tweets are unique. Though, considering that after merging various Hearts we would get an enhanced news service, often feels the news is just being read off Twitter feeds. How a person in Corby is supposed to rate to new from Hemel I never know.
    In many ways though aside from Northants, due to geography the three counties have poor local radio with BBC 3CR and Heart 4CR.
  • Options
    ThemaverickThemaverick Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Cannot say reading Tweets are unique. Though, considering that after merging various Hearts we would get an enhanced news service, often feels the news is just being read off Twitter feeds. How a person in Corby is supposed to rate to new from Hemel I never know.
    In many ways though aside from Northants, due to geography the three counties have poor local radio with BBC 3CR and Heart 4CR.
    Given that the majority of posts in here are actually anti-Heart, I am intrigued that you think you are "not allowed to dislike Heart". You're allowed to do as you like, but in a discussion forum surely people are allowed to counter or contest or disagree with your argument?

When I say the majority of posts, for reference, our top posters in this thread are:

Gavin_D - 398 posts - mostly informational / neutral posts
    occy - 303 posts - mostly informational / neutral posts
    simonk243 - 201 posts - mostly of a critical nature or of the "Heart would be better if..." variety
    Hitmusic - 197 posts - mixed
    Sarahsaurus - 175 posts - mostly critical. Allegedly retired from the thread about 20 posts ago
    spotify95 - 151 posts - not so active anymore. Previous posts were all about Heart cutting 3 seconds off the end of a song
    SmartProgrammer - 95 posts - mostly informational or procedural. 'Pro'-Heart if we had to call sides.
    bluesdiamond - 80 posts - anti-Heart.
    wckartist - 72 posts - very anti-Heart. Many of a baiting nature.
    Station ID - 68 posts - mostly informational or procedural. Neutrality/dislike towards Heart as a station but 'pro', I guess, towards its methodology.

I may have got the odd bit wrong in the above analysis but the figures suggest to me that there is way more on the 'against' side than the 'for'. I'd almost be tempted to flip your statement around and say that you're not allowed to like Heart on these forums.

But I won't.

I, for one, really enjoyed this:)
  • Options
    andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps the "criticisms" ergo moans are not being addressed because Heart is programmed to satisfy real people, not radio forums.

Gemma in Leeds and Katie in Glasgow are not going to be online checking industry websites to see how many times Starship are played.

Secondly, I bet Starship or Mark Morrison are maybe played once at Breakfast, and maybe again at Drive. The listener, (the real one, not the one noting and checking) gets the pay off of hearing their favourite song twice.

Even at Heart's club nights, sometimes the same songs are played in the same order, or frequency. The target audience sing along, and listeners enjoy it. If Heart were to suddenly drop Rage Against the Machine in a club, confusion would ensue.

It is depressing, a) that you hate Heart so much, but listen to every smidgen of its output and b) and that you refuse to understand that radio is a business.

It's like GWR for 2015.

Is that about the size of it SmartProgrammer?

Oh and I don't work for Global but wouldn't say no!

there is a difference being criticism, moaning and making suggestions, asking questions etc, not sure about the entire thread but myself and Simon fall into the suggestions and questions category.

Just because someone is interested in music or radio doesn't mean a station doesn't/shouldn't care about them, same way that car manufacturers should (and I hope do) make the best car they can and appreciate that some people spend months researching the car they want to buy, and others buy what to them is a tin box and would be hard pushed to say what it is. By your example normal cars are not built for petrolheads, games consoles and games are not made with hardcore gamers in mind (trust me, I have interviewed games developers and the opposite is true), etc, which I simply cannot agree with.

I don't dislike heart, I just think that there are some things it could improve on, which include a larger playlist, better dj's and less of an obvious view of the listener as someone to sell stuff to (example, last night the dj talked about a show on sky as if it was on that night, turns out the episode was on at the end of the week and the series was half way through, which we only discovered when we tried to record it)
    Maybe Katie or Gemma would notice the same thing?
  • Options
    BorsantBorsant Posts: 1,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No station is perfect but it can improve by audience figures and target audience research - that way they can avoid the measures that seem intuitively right but are in fact the opposite if what their listener wants.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another fab 80's time tunnel today at 2pm.
  • Options
    simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there is a difference being criticism, moaning and making suggestions, asking questions etc, not sure about the entire thread but myself and Simon fall into the suggestions and questions category.

Just because someone is interested in music or radio doesn't mean a station doesn't/shouldn't care about them, same way that car manufacturers should (and I hope do) make the best car they can and appreciate that some people spend months researching the car they want to buy, and others buy what to them is a tin box and would be hard pushed to say what it is. By your example normal cars are not built for petrolheads, games consoles and games are not made with hardcore gamers in mind (trust me, I have interviewed games developers and the opposite is true), etc, which I simply cannot agree with.

I don't dislike heart, I just think that there are some things it could improve on, which include a larger playlist, better dj's and less of an obvious view of the listener as someone to sell stuff to (example, last night the dj talked about a show on sky as if it was on that night, turns out the episode was on at the end of the week and the series was half way through, which we only discovered when we tried to record it)
    Maybe Katie or Gemma would notice the same thing?

Thanks Andy. Yes I didn't think all my posts were critical I have made lots of suggestions asked questions even made some praise.

I would like to congratulate heart for all the new music it has added recently there seems to be more new music than ever which can only be a good thing ☺
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simonk243 wrote: »
    Thanks Andy. Yes I didn't think all my posts were critical I have made lots of suggestions asked questions even made some praise.

I would like to congratulate heart for all the new music it has added recently there seems to be more new music than ever which can only be a good thing ☺

Unless I missed something at work last couple of weeks, can you clarify the tracks that are more new music than ever? The feeling on the shop floor is same old, same old. Please correct our perceptions.
  • Options
    digiwigidigiwigi Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The naysayers in here remind me of when I used to DJ at uni. You would get someone coming up asking for a request. If you then you turned it now (I know, you're supposed to say "I'll see what I can do" but I preferred to be straight with people) saying it wouldn't work they'd complain.

I'd then just gesture to the dancefloor full of people dancing and they'd go off in a huff.

The naysayers on here kinda remind me of those people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless I missed something at work last couple of weeks, can you clarify the tracks that are more new music than ever? The feeling on the shop floor is same old, same old. Please correct our perceptions.

I've heard new tacks by jessie j, Hozier, Ariane Grande, Omi, Nathan Sykes, Charlie Puth and Ed Sheeran all added recently.

Some of them are only played on local shows (breakfast and drive)
  • Options
    digiwigidigiwigi Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, and on the DJing theme, we used to play pretty much the same songs week in week out and the crowd loved it too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    digiwigi wrote: »
    Oh, and on the DJing theme, we used to play pretty much the same songs week in week out and the crowd loved it too.

How long did you DJ per set?
    Did you get the same people each week?
    Could your music have worked in a workplace, 8 hours a day, five day a week?

Really hard to compare being a DJ at a party, disco, club to a broadcaster.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long did you DJ per set?
    Did you get the same people each week?

Really hard to compare being a DJ at a party, disco, club to a broadcaster.

More similar than you think. You play to the crowd you have regardless of how often they are there and you read them to play what they want. The difference is with live the judgement is instant. I'm sure there's some here who'll say 'a full dance floor ISNT necessarily the mark of a good night' but I've never heard that from any pro DJ
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In my view that's the only relevant question and the answer is that Heart isn't really designed to be listened to that way. They can't be blamed for being a pop-in for an hour station when so many like it that way and don't listen all day.
  • Options
    YorkstarYorkstar Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Hearts getting better in my opinion if we only have the fm/am radio at work, heart is on the most, and yesterday we had it on most of the afternoon, they call it feel Good Friday and to be fair it was a nice decent mix of tunes with some more upbeat tunes added for the weekend feel.

I've also heard a few different tunes on the timetunnel lately heard a bit of travis on the 99 year earlier, which was different.

Has everyone knows the main problem is the overplaying of the newer tracks and the small pick of new tracks, then the constant playing over and over again till everyone is sick of them, the heart beat song is the worst culprit at the moment.

But at work to be fair it's not to bad and caters for most of the different work colleague tastes in the warehouse, obvisouly the Chanel will be changed to absolute or whatever through the day for a bit more Indy/rock , and other variations.

I was a fan of century and real radio before heart took over, but these also had the exact same problem, a very small new track playlist and vastily overplayed but still enjoyed the station.

Basically if heart tweak the new playlists a we bit and cut down the times played, and ad some more rarer tracks now and again like on the time tunnel and it will be ok.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yorkstar wrote: »
    Hearts getting better in my opinion if we only have the fm/am radio at work, heart is on the most, and yesterday we had it on most of the afternoon, they call it feel Good Friday and to be fair it was a nice decent mix of tunes with some more upbeat tunes added for the weekend feel.

I've also heard a few different tunes on the timetunnel lately heard a bit of travis on the 99 year earlier, which was different.

Has everyone knows the main problem is the overplaying of the newer tracks and the small pick of new tracks, then the constant playing over and over again till everyone is sick of them, the heart beat song is the worst culprit at the moment.

But at work to be fair it's not to bad and caters for most of the different work colleague tastes in the warehouse, obvisouly the Chanel will be changed to absolute or whatever through the day for a bit more Indy/rock , and other variations.

I was a fan of century and real radio before heart took over, but these also had the exact same problem, a very small new track playlist and vastily overplayed but still enjoyed the station.

Basically if heart tweak the new playlists a we bit and cut down the times played, and ad some more rarer tracks now and again like on the time tunnel and it will be ok.

Exactly what I have said but I'm caused of being critical and hating the station which i don't.

I'm a big fan of the time tunnel would love it to be longer in fact.

I do enjoy feel good Friday too which I've stated in the past good to hear some tracks not often on heart.

And as I said a few posts ago lots of new tracks on heart lately.
  • Options
    Gavin_DGavin_D Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenny Francis has taken to twitter for the first time since she left heart

https://twitter.com/JennyfrancisLOS/status/609685687525355521
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simonk243 wrote: »
    Exactly what I have said but I'm caused of being critical and hating the station which i don't.

I'm a big fan of the time tunnel would love it to be longer in fact.

I do enjoy feel good Friday too which I've stated in the past good to hear some tracks not often on heart.

And as I said a few posts ago lots of new tracks on heart lately.

Personally I think you give constructive criticism about Heart, same for sarahsaurus as well. I perhaps don't always agree with it but I see the reasoning.

That's the kind of criticism I enjoy reading anyway.
  • Options
    -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    Gavin_D wrote: »

Didn't know she left.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    Personally I think you give constructive criticism about Heart, same for sarahsaurus as well. I perhaps don't always agree with it but I see the reasoning.

That's the kind of criticism I enjoy reading anyway.

Thanks ☺
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gavin_D wrote: »

All seems odd something going on she didn't do the last show of the week then never returned ?
  • Options
    SarahsaurusSarahsaurus Posts: 3,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yorkstar wrote: »

Well you can be fairly sure they won't be doing any of this.

The Time Tunnel,ie about twenty-five minutes or so,will continue to be the only time you ever get any real "variety" on Heart. On the overnight shift that is about the only time you ever hear a song off the normal playlist.

They will continue to play songs like Heartbeat Song and These Days and Love Me Like You Do relentlessly.

Last night the presenter said something like,"And coming up we've got Stevie Wonder",and I thought,hmm,I wonder if it will be Part Time Lover,seeing as that's the only Stevie Wonder track Heart ever play.

Unsurprisingly,it was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night the presenter said something like,"And coming up we've got Stevie Wonder",and I thought,hmm,I wonder if it will be Part Time Lover,seeing as that's the only Stevie Wonder track Heart ever play.

Unsurprisingly,it was.[/QUOTE]

So pulling together all that you've read from the posters above and you've got the responsibility of holding Hearts audience, which Stevie track would you pick?
  • Options
    wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Borsant wrote: »

So pulling together all that you've read from the posters above and you've got the responsibility of holding Hearts audience, which Stevie track would you pick?

You're talking about an artist who has 50 years of hits to choose from, real quality too, NOT some "Johnny Come Lately"!!

Your comment gave me a real "Judge Rinder" palm on the forehead moment!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wckartist wrote: »
    You're talking about an artist who has 50 years of hits to choose from, real quality too, NOT some "Johnny Come Lately"!!

Your comment gave me a real "Judge Rinder" palm on the forehead moment!

Yes and we've been here before with you going all quiet usually when called out to make a precise decision not a generalisation. Still never mind, it's in the nature of circular arguements.

For the rather exact target audience, which Stevie song from the rich 50 year history (although in fact the quality stuff is confined to '65-'85 really) would you pick? It's not a trick question!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I am not a Stevie Wonder fan. Off top,of my head,,"I Just Called To Say, I Love You" springs to mind.