Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 30)

Comments

• Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,587
    Forum Member
    Hey_Ho wrote: »
    Like he was run over by a milk float instead of being brutally stabbed to death over a can of coke. Your use of language is insulting and belittling to family of the murdered person.

Did I say I was calling for the banning of anything? No.

Bye, caller.

Ah the faux outrage card.
  • Options
    Chief_WiggumChief_Wiggum Posts: 6,178
    Forum Member
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Do you expect the event not to be policed? NF failed to mention the extra millions generated for the London economy because as I said he is the king of tabloid half truths and knows what buttons to press to get his avid listeners foaming and raging. Nobody does that quite as well as Ferrari.
    Lots of events cost a lot to police so why single out carnival? As for your point about toilets of course nobody would want or like that but it is one weekend a year and if it really is such a big deal then they can always move and make a fortune. Carnival being going for near 60 years so it is not as if it is a recent gathering.

So just because it is 'one weekend a year' it is ok for people to crap on gardens and deface property? The fact is that certain events attract a certain sort of person, and that explains higher crime rates at these sorts of events.

Nick Ferrari simply pointed out that police resources are being swallowed up by the policing of this event due to the high crime rate there and asked whether this is something we should be ok with. Carnival goers were obviously appalled and immediately set about trying to discredit his perfectly valid and reasonable point of view with unjust criticisms about his programme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "Ferrari never has a day off" :confused: why have I listened to Iain Dale covering for him 2 weeks this summer? and doesn't he have bank holidays off. So, if you count it all up that's over 20 days a year. About the same as some of the other presenters.

Hahaha read it again Connor; the post says 'off day', which means "a day at which someone is not at their best or is out of sorts", not a 'day off' as in "holiday".:D

Ferrari never has a bad day though; he's always quick-witted, on the ball, articulate and talking complete sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For those interested, Ferrari states in his book "The World According to Nick Ferrari" that he presents the show for 46 weeks per year.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,587
    Forum Member
    So just because it is 'one weekend a year' it is ok for people to crap on gardens and deface property? The fact is that certain events attract a certain sort of person, and that explains higher crime rates at these sorts of events.

Nick Ferrari simply pointed out that police resources are being swallowed up by the policing of this event due to the high crime rate there and asked whether this is something we should be ok with. Carnival goers were obviously appalled and immediately set about trying to discredit his perfectly valid and reasonable point of view with unjust criticisms about his programme.

Did you not read the crime stats posted earlier which for such a vast number of people are tiny? Is Ferrari ok with the millions added to the economy by all the visitors? I already said it is not ok to use a garden as a toilet
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Do you expect the event not to be policed? NF failed to mention the extra millions generated for the London economy because as I said he is the king of tabloid half truths and knows what buttons to press to get his avid listeners foaming and raging. Nobody does that quite as well as Ferrari.
    Lots of events cost a lot to police so why single out carnival? As for your point about toilets of course nobody would want or like that but it is one weekend a year and if it really is such a big deal then they can always move and make a fortune. Carnival being going for near 60 years so it is not as if it is a recent gathering.

What??!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    Ex NF guest (thank god he dropped her) the ridiculous Yasmin Alibhai-Brown making no friends and influencing no-one on Twitter again.

https://mobile.twitter.com/y_alibhai/status/637202840524615680

Even Iain Dale has tweeted his disgust at the comment.

Even Katie H. was shocked! :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    "Ferrari never has a day off" :confused: why have I listened to Iain Dale covering for him 2 weeks this summer? and doesn't he have bank holidays off. So, if you count it all up that's over 20 days a year. About the same as some of the other presenters.

An OFF DAY not day off. Better get yourself to Specsavers and quick
  • Options
    redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could be describing JOB to a tee. Except that his techniques for disrupting the call are different.

True James O'Brien is much ruder when speaking to a caller and that is not including those he cuts off!
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely agree.

He was having a right go at Cameron this morning over the latest group of non-entities to be given peerages. Sadly the people who despise him purely based on his right wing beliefs choose not to acknowledge this...

Ian Collins was extremely scathing about Cameron as well last night. He simply goes for whoever he thinks deserves criticism from whatever party.

As for the Carnival, in the early years it was much smaller and much better ordered, therefore didn't need thousands of police. It's grown so much it needs to be in a big open space where it can be better policed, the Notting Hill locals get some peace and no risk of damage and maybe attendees could make a contribution to the policing costs and/or cleaning up afterwards, like the big festivals or sports events.
  • Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    Hahaha read it again Connor; the post says 'off day', which means "a day at which someone is not at their best or is out of sorts", not a 'day off' as in "holiday".:D

Ferrari never has a bad day though; he's always quick-witted, on the ball, articulate and talking complete sense.
    All I'm not! :o:D:blush:

Ferrari never had a off day as he couldn't get any worse :D.

Only joking, I don't really like him and I don't like the way he does his interviewing but, there is worse on LBC.
    Yes, I better had. :blush::D
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    Talma wrote: »
    Ian Collins was extremely scathing about Cameron as well last night. He simply goes for whoever he thinks deserves criticism from whatever party.

Absolutely! But that's the whole point. Both he and Ferrari (and others) hold opinions that mean they go for those on the Left a lot more than they go for those on the Right. And even when they do go for those on the Right, it's often for them not being Right enough (see David Mellor, for example). The same goes for JOB in reverse.

But to say that this somehow represents 'balance' in Ferrari's or Collins' output is absurd IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Alright O'Brien fans! Our bearded basher of callers is live and ready for another episode of Newsnight!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Place your bets people! Which type of small mammal will O'Brien be giving the Ready Steady Cook treatment tonight?
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As for the Carnival, in the early years it was much smaller and much better ordered, therefore didn't need thousands of police. It's grown so much it needs to be in a big open space where it can be better policed, the Notting Hill locals get some peace and no risk of damage and maybe attendees could make a contribution to the policing costs and/or cleaning up afterwards, like the big festivals or sports events.

It's only fear of the PC backlash that permits this nonsense to be tolerated year after year.
  • Options
    NatterleeNatterlee Posts: 309
    Forum Member

then in the words of that ad of supreme 'quality' currently being doles out multiple times on LBC you could get spare pairs so that you can keep "a pair at (my) mum's, a pair at (my) dad's and a pair at (my) boy (or girl) friend's"
  • Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    Sorry if this has already been posted but here is the video of JOB eating a squirrel
    http://www.lbc.co.uk/james-obrien-eats-a-squirrel-on-tv-115351
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    Sorry if this has already been posted but here is the video of JOB eating a squirrel
    http://www.lbc.co.uk/james-obrien-eats-a-squirrel-on-tv-115351

i wonder if James read that comment about him having the smile of a serial killer, and that's why he doesn't do it any more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've made a conscious effort to listen out for the Corsa ad. which drives some of you mad and still haven't heard it. I do only listen on AM, so perhaps it's only FM listeners who get it.

Morning all. :)
  • Options
    clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've made a conscious effort to listen out for the Corsa ad. which drives some of you mad and still haven't heard it. I do only listen on AM, so perhaps it's only FM listeners who get it.

Morning all. :)

Is LBC still available on AM other than the rolling news service?

Good morning to you too.

I've not heard the ad either or maybe I have but didn't pay any particular attention to it.
  • Options
    tahititahiti Posts: 3,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why seek to detach the events from its communal roots? Notting Hill is yet another example of an that has benefitted enormously from multi culturalism - just look up how run down and abandoned the place was like in the 50s prior to the Windrush - and the Carnival comes with it. As for the noise well it's a bit like living next to Heathrow and complaining about planes landing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tahiti wrote: »
    Why seek to detach the events from its communal roots? Notting Hill is yet another example of an that has benefitted enormously from multi culturalism - just look up how run down and abandoned the place was like in the 50s prior to the Windrush - and the Carnival comes with it. As for the noise well it's a bit like living next to Heathrow and complaining about planes landing.

I had family living there and knew the area well when I was growing up. It was, and still is, in the main, a dump. Parts of it have been gentrified and starred in the eponymous film but most of it is the same as it always was. It was a poor white working class area until the 50/60s, when it became poor black working class. But it was never rundown and abandoned. There was, and now doubt still is, a strong sense of vitality and community, regardless of the ethnicity of the residents.
  • Options
    Hey_HoHey_Ho Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Mellor, another one with a horrible voice to listen to.
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why concentrate on what has been when one can concentrate on what is. Hackney is way more Caribbean than NH and the local economy in far greater need of cash.The event could be happily staged in Victoria Park and environs .
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Hey_Ho wrote: »
    David Mellor, another one with a horrible voice to listen to.

Good God, since when has a well educated refined voice become 'horrible'? A lovely voice but his views and actions may not be so worthy.
This discussion has been closed.