Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4

Comments

• UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    I couldn't believe they were still alive, then I realised they weren't even in their 30s in 1978 ;)

I wonder how they sound singing the same three hits now?

I actually saw the BHOM a few years ago at a Eurovision night in Newcastle. There was BHOM, Bucks Fizz and Catrina & The Waves on the same bill! - So whatever you think of the music - it was value for money!! ;)

Infact - BHOM were the only act that still had the original 1976 line up!! :D
  • punkyfish50punkyfish50 Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're at the Butlins Minehead 70s weekend next month - can't wait for what should be a lifechanging gig :D.

http://www.bigweekends.com/your-break/91311
  • darren1090darren1090 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    I actually saw the BHOM a few years ago at a Eurovision night in Newcastle. There was BHOM, Bucks Fizz and Catrina & The Waves on the same bill! - So whatever you think of the music - it was value for money!! ;)

Infact - BHOM were the only act that still had the original 1976 line up!! :D

Of course, Bucks Fizz and Katrina & the Waves weren't even formed in 1976, which makes it all the more impressive!

But look out for one quarter of Bucks Fizz performing on TOTP 1978 in just a few weeks' time (and not in a JS or DLT week, I checked).
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darren1090 wrote: »

But look out for one quarter of Bucks Fizz performing on TOTP 1978 in just a few weeks' time (and not in a JS or DLT week, I checked).

Ah yes... the 'Bad Old Days' indeed :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to know that Brotherhood Of Man are still singing well: my wife and I are going to see them live soon, in their Seventies show! I do hope they've dropped the Jim'll Fix It skit mentioned on their website, though. :eek:
  • keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're at the Butlins Minehead 70s weekend next month - can't wait for what should be a lifechanging gig :D.

http://www.bigweekends.com/your-break/91311

Mud II seem a let down, billed as 'featuring members of Les Gray's Mud'

Not one original member!
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    darren1090 wrote: »
    Of course, Bucks Fizz and Katrina & the Waves weren't even formed in 1976, which makes it all the more impressive!

Oh yes - I forgot about Coco - Bad Old Days - I remember wanting this to win as an 8 yr old, at the time - but it never did very well in either the contest or the charts! :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    Mud II seem a let down, billed as 'featuring members of Les Gray's Mud'

Not one original member!

Is there actually anyone still alive out of Mud? :confused:
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone here listen to this weeks Top 20 from 1978 being played out on Smooth Radio last night with Kid Jensen? He played the week that will feature on this weeks coming TOTP when Abba kicked Brotherhood Of Man off the top spot, justice at least in the end! But with all this Brotherhood Of Man talk at the moment I thought it was curious that as I listened to Figaro on the radio, without having to look at them "performing" on TOTP, just hearing the song made it sound just slightly better than viewing and hearing it. Infact quite a bit better I'd say! They all seem to look very good still, although the dark haired one looks really great with the short dark hair back in '78 in my view, she ought to go back to it now, with the aid of some dye possibly? Anyway that's their lot, no more top ten hits for BOM, never mind No1's. Just another minor entry in '78 and that's the lot. Bet they didn't think so this week in 1978 as they had their 3rd No1 hit. They looked well on a roll. Maybe if Abba had never existed they would have been.

I think that last Thursdays TOTP from 9th February 1978 was a really weird edition. Yet again this edition proved the point I made in my first ever DS post about the "myth" surrounding TOTP and record sales. David Castle, never heard of him before, the song was turgid surely even then, and it failed to become a hit.

Both Lulu and Dusty Springfield appearing on the same show in 1978 just seemed so out of era. It could easily be overlooked if either song was worthy, but neither, in my opinion were very good at all. Yet again the Lulu track was not a hit. Dusty's song was not a hit either. So here are 3 songs on TOTP on primetime BBC1 in the 3 channel era, and none even registered hitwise. Dusty had an album out at the same time called "It Begins Again" which even failed to impact making just 41. She had not at this point in 1978 charted with a single or album since 1970, and would barely again until the Pet Shop Boys joined her nearly another decade later. I think this was likely Dusty Springfield at the lowest point in her music career on many levels. The voice was still class, but the song and her look were not. But she made some great tracks a decade later that we all remember as much as her 60's ones.

Lulu can be hit and miss. Mostly miss I'd say. But I do like her Bond theme, The Man With The Golden Gun, yet it was one of the themes not to be a hit, I presume it was even released as a single a couple of years prior to 1978?

If they could have got more relevant charting artists into the studio, then I doubt the likes of Lulu, Dusty and even David Castle would have got a look in. This edition showed TOTP up for being a desperate week for needing some acts in that studio no matter what.

Baccara came back on with their follow up hit, which got me thinking of something somewhat unusual, and that is the female duo. There are not many female duo acts about, yet in quick succession in late '77, early '78 there were two, Baccara and Althea & Donna that hit No1. They are extremely un-common, and as I write I cannot think of any others immediately, certainly that had massive success in the charts like these two did.

It was a shame the full ELO track Mr Blue Sky wasn't played out. Without the grand ending I think it loses something. I also noticed Jeff Lynne minus his trademark glasses! Rare?

Maybe if I'd been about 19 in 1978 I'd have loved that Stranglers track, but it did not grab me, and my fave period of their hits is from 1982 to 1986, with a fondness for Strange Little Girl and Skin Deep. But that's just my age issue, as I recall those ones when hits, whereas I simply was too young for their late 70's punky stuff. I have got a long version of their later 1978 cover hit of Walk On By with lengthy guitar solo, which I heard one of them say, Hugh I think, that he thinks he got a bit carried away with. Hugh Cornwell was actually on The Daily Politics last year with Andrew Neil!

Yellow Dog, never realised the TOTP studio was so windy. That scarf. I only like that song for the amusing way it ends, and suspect it could have been a big reason that it became such a sizable hit, because without it the sound is rather middle of the road average 70's stuff, to me.

It was a good Legs & Co routine, all round set and choreography. They seem to be getting better just over a year into being around. However I was dis-appointed to see this Abba track being danced to. I'd always actually like to see Abba, even if it is only on the promo films of the time. I hope they show the promo film when they make No1, as I'd hate to see them top the charts only to be given the Elvis treatment week after week. Take A Chance On Me has been on two weeks running and no sight of Abba yet, having been the playout tune last time. I'm sure someone here knows already what happens during the 3 week run on top. Quite interesting that they reached No1 without actually being "seen" on TOTP beforehand. That must have been quite unusual in itself back then I would guess?

That Heatwave track from a couple of weeks ago, The Groove Line, is a real grower. It is likely to be one of those tracks I hear for the first time on TOTP 1978 and actually go and buy, so good old TOTP is still selling the music.

The first record I ever brought is about to make its first appearance, "Lowry's Song" I shall call it for brevity. But 9 year old boy tastes aside, bring on the main event.....Her Majesty that is Kate Bush, with that need I say more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Is there actually anyone still alive out of Mud? :confused:

The guy who wrote Can't Get You Out Of My Head, is still alive, I'm sure I also saw the bassist on TV recently, probably on some BBC4 documentary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy who wrote Can't Get You Out Of My Head, is still alive, I'm sure I also saw the bassist on TV recently, probably on some BBC4 documentary.

Just to add, I think the drummer, Dave Mount took his own life, for whatever reasons, shortly before Christmas in 2006, and it was around about this week in 2004 that Les Gray departed.

I think Mud did put out a couple of singles in 1978, but both totally bombed. The fickle fate of pop, as the Sweet were about to discover after Love Is Like Oxygen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Yellow Dog, never realised the TOTP studio was so windy. That scarf. I only like that song for the amusing way it ends, and suspect it could have been a big reason that it became such a sizable hit, because without it the sound is rather middle of the road average 70's stuff, to me

I don't know why, but I always thought the lead singer was Elvis Costello! Yellow Dog were, I believe Fox without Noosha Fox.

If you listen to the HQ recording on YouTube it sounds pretty good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbVjG_3GMJE
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    Oh yes - I forgot about Coco - Bad Old Days - I remember wanting this to win as an 8 yr old, at the time - but it never did very well in either the contest or the charts! :rolleyes:

It's a shame that the Eurovision winner A Ba Ni Bi won't be shown unless the DLT editions are reinstated by then.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Baccara came back on with their follow up hit, which got me thinking of something somewhat unusual, and that is the female duo. There are not many female duo acts about, yet in quick succession in late '77, early '78 there were two, Baccara and Althea & Donna that hit No1. They are extremely un-common, and as I write I cannot think of any others immediately, certainly that had massive success in the charts like these two did.

Elaine Page & Barbara Dixon, Strawberry Switchblade....er....Shakespear's Sister?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why, but I always thought the lead singer was Elvis Costello! Yellow Dog were, I believe Fox without Noosha Fox.

If you listen to the HQ recording on YouTube it sounds pretty good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbVjG_3GMJE

I saw Noosha Fox's son on an edition of Stephen Fry's QI the other night! Dr Ben Goldacre he is.
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pepsi and Shirlie
    Mel and Kim
  • Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClareB wrote: »
    It's a shame that the Eurovision winner A Ba Ni Bi won't be shown unless the DLT editions are reinstated by then.

Did Israel win two years in a row with that and "Halleluja"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Elaine Page & Barbara Dixon, Strawberry Switchblade....er....Shakespear's Sister?

Paige & Dickson is a duet, not a duo! Infact from the same time as that hit song I can recall Strawberry Switchblade who were a female duo were they not? Correct on Shakespear's Sister, good one.

Clare, yes two blazingly obvious ones there!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only other one I can think of are Tatu, and The Pierces as well I suppose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only other one I can think of are Tatu, and The Pierces as well I suppose.

Was just about to mention Tatu, or t.A.t.U however they wrote it, which was at No1 this time a decade ago for a month, so one of the bigger female duo hits. Mind you, the Shakespear's Sister hit Stay went to No1 this week in 1992 and stuck there for two months so must be the biggest ever by a female duo group. Richard Madeley got all worked up about Tatu I recall, so naturally it topped the chart, but the track was decent enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bananarama - 3 Top 30 hits as a duo ......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »

Mel & Kim, Pepsi & Shirlie... The Reynolds Girls (sorry! :o) :D

<Didn't see Clare's post earlier, sorry again :o>
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently they'd rather "jack" than "Fleetwood Mac". There's another circle of hell for you.
  • pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »

They may have got a brace of hits off the back of Eurovision - but they aren't in the same category as Bucks Fizz, who achieved more, with greater songwriting sophistication.

I had to re-read that one a few times, accusing BoM as an ABBA rip-off, then epousing that sorry band of BoM rip off losers Bucks Fizz !

I never thought I would see the words Songwriting Sophistication and Bucks Fizz in the same sentence, Servalan darling stop sniffing the Fabreze canister there's a good chap :D
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone here listen to this weeks Top 20 from 1978 being played out on Smooth Radio last night with Kid Jensen? He played the week that will feature on this weeks coming TOTP when Abba kicked Brotherhood Of Man off the top spot, justice at least in the end! But with all this Brotherhood Of Man talk at the moment I thought it was curious that as I listened to Figaro on the radio, without having to look at them "performing" on TOTP, just hearing the song made it sound just slightly better than viewing and hearing it. Infact quite a bit better I'd say! They all seem to look very good still, although the dark haired one looks really great with the short dark hair back in '78 in my view, she ought to go back to it now, with the aid of some dye possibly? Anyway that's their lot, no more top ten hits for BOM, never mind No1's. Just another minor entry in '78 and that's the lot. Bet they didn't think so this week in 1978 as they had their 3rd No1 hit. They looked well on a roll. Maybe if Abba had never existed they would have been.

It's conceiveable that the mid-70s line-up of BOM might never have been put forward for Eurovision had it not been for Abba, whose success beyond the song contest was probably enough of a talisman for BOM's management to persist with an act that failed to make any impact in the UK (despite some continental success).

They were, truth be told, lucky to get away with as many hits as they did - if anything did for them, it was the Abba comparisons, plus the lack of good material. 'Beautiful Lover' is little more than a rehash of 'Figaro' - although not so obviously as 'My Sweet Rosalie' resembles 'Save Your Kisses For Me' ... :eek:
    It was a good Legs & Co routine, all round set and choreography. They seem to be getting better just over a year into being around. However I was disappointed to see this Abba track being danced to. I'd always actually like to see Abba, even if it is only on the promo films of the time. I hope they show the promo film when they make No1, as I'd hate to see them top the charts only to be given the Elvis treatment week after week. Take A Chance On Me has been on two weeks running and no sight of Abba yet, having been the playout tune last time. I'm sure someone here knows already what happens during the 3 week run on top. Quite interesting that they reached No1 without actually being "seen" on TOTP beforehand. That must have been quite unusual in itself back then I would guess?

We must be back in pyschic territory again (;)) because I was similarly surprised that Abba never appeared in the flesh prior to 'Take A Chance On Me' reaching number one. I think that is quite unusual, but not unheard of - I seem to recall The Tams' 'Hey Girl, Don't Bother Me' climbing to the top spot in 1971 without a TOTP appearance ... and were then granted an appearance the week after the single had been deposed from its chart reign, purely because it had taken the record company that long to track the group down.

And I think I'm right in saying that we will soon see the video later parodied by Erasure when they covered the song in 1992 ...
This discussion has been closed.