BBC2 The Honourable Woman Thursdays from July 3rd

mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
Forum Member
✭✭
Hugo Blick is back with a new thriller, his last one The Shadow Line certainly divided opinion esp its archness and the revelation as to what the heck it was all about but it was packed with great scenes and performances esp that of Stephen Rea as Gatehouse.

He's back for this alongside Maggie Gyllenhaal, Andrew Buchan, Janet McTeer, Katherine Parkinson and Eve Best (also in Shadow Line), Tobias Menzies (also in Shadow Line)

Looking forward to this.

Comments

• dodradedodrade Posts: 23,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the Shadow Line but couldn't understand why did so poorly in the ratings when the similar Line of Duty went on to be a big hit.
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    I am really looking forward to this....Maggie Gyllenhaal and Andrew Buchan play Jewish brother and sister, who's father was a Zionist arms procurer...hope it does not disappoint...
  • suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Impressed by the trailers. Like Maggie G and her English accent sounds spot on. Enjoyed much of Hugo Blick's work in the past. Didn't appreciate he wrote Shadow Line but that was good too.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bump for tonight - looking forward to it!

K
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This should be worth watching.
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This sounds good. I'll be there at 9pm.
  • MorgsieMorgsie Posts: 16,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rather interesting
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    borrrring, are you sure this isn't a Steven Pol ya kofff
    8 hours of that charisma bypass lead character??
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What the expleting expletive is going on?
  • Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    Supratad wrote: »
    What the expleting expletive is going on?

....absolutely no idea! :confused: getting bored now.
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last ten minutes were good but the rest was very slow and confusing.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    I thought that was brilliant, I went in expecting it to be interesting but a little on the slow side instead it just flew by. I even managed to follow most of it :D, not that we're actually meant to know what's going on at this point. Maggie Gyllenhaal is such a captivating actress, I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. Can't wait for the next episode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimbo1962 wrote: »
    ....or more David Hare tedium.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed that.
  • MorgsieMorgsie Posts: 16,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of questions raised
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a brilliant start. Yes, I'm a bit confused, but I don't mind. I think that's part of the point. The story will slowly reveal itself. I was confused at the start of The Shadow Line as well, and that turned out to be one of the best dramas I've ever seen.
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    Whoa: seriously classy!

Of course you're confused; everyone is confused. It's kind of the point.

So much in this; interesting how, at the end, the kidnappers emerged from .... The Shadow Line.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in.

A bit confused, but I think that's intentional. I'll be watching next week.

(I didn't see The Shadow Line).
  • shya100shya100 Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really really interesting.

Initial guesses:

The kidnapped nephew is actually her son. Her brother referred to his child - as in the daughter I am guessing.
    The brother and the wife are not the happiest of couples. I think he may not be the most faithful and there really only seems room for one women in his life - his sister.
    The 'nanny' slash friend is somehow involved in being a traitor.
    What Maggie was crying over I have no idea.
    I am taking it that this 'not what she makes out,' is actually to do with her personal life because I imagine on the professional front she is whiter than white.
    Just a few gut observations.
  • LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it. It was slow-burning for sure, but I have good patience. Maggie Gyllenhaal is so elegant and effortless.

Are Nessa and Atika lovers? Or just close friends who have been through a horrible ordeal? I bet I'm looking too much into that.
    Forum Member
    jimbo1962 wrote: »

If you want BBC1 drama, just press the next button along.
    Forum Member
    LolaSvelt wrote: »

Are Nessa and Atika lovers? Or just close friends who have been through a horrible ordeal? I bet I'm looking too much into that.
    Lets hope you're not ;)
  • pubeypubey Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    I thought it was great. Not sure why people are confused? The only unknowns are who killed the Palestinian and the overarching secret about Nesser and Atika the ambush 8 years earlier.

Otherwise it seemed fairly straight forward and was a really good episode.
  • allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maggie Gyllenhall AND Eve Best? I'm in. Loved it, glad I sacrificed my Celebrity Masterchef fix for it.
    Forum Member
    To be fair, there were a lot of short scenes covering at least three time periods, and quite a few characters and settings. It would certainly bear a second look on the iPlayer.

Fwiw, my sense was the contract was not awarded fairly and Nessa is actually involved with the Palestinians.

To that end, her secure but cell-like sleeping pod seemed a huge clue - poss the consequence of what happened when she was kidnapped.