Options

worst first name for a female.

Comments

• Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member
    Many babies born at the beginning the 20th century were christened Queenie, as a tribute to Queen Victoria who died in 1901.

I think that Nigel Lawson must have had a very big ego to lumber his daughter with the hideous name, Nigella! :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agnes and Senga are awful.

I watch a lot of America's Next Top Model and they get called things like:

Mercedes, Jenascia, Xiomara, Shandi, Kristi, Jennipher, Toccara, Norelle, Brandy, Noelle, Keenyah, Jayla, Wendy, Furonda, Eugena, Atalya, Amis, Marvita, ShaRaun, Nikeysha, Brittany, Lauren-Brie, Sundai, Chantal, CariDee, Melrose, Saleisha, Whitney, McKey, Teyona, Nijah, Kortnie, London, Clark, Levi-Nance, Fo, Aminat (with a hard NAT), Krista, Raina, Brenda, Alasia, Angelea, Anslee, Terra, Rhianna, Lexie, Kacey, Kendal, Chelsey and Esther.
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine are or were. Margaret. and Catherin Shirley.

they were big royalists. I guess, my mum is called Elizabeth, her mum was called Margaret.

All those names run quite a lot through our family :) An auntie, a great auntie, and a great grandma were/are all Margarets.
  • Options
    shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    goonst wrote: »

Mercedes, Jenascia, Xiomara, Shandi, Kristi, Jennipher, Toccara, Norelle, Brandy, Noelle, Keenyah, Jayla, Wendy, Furonda, Eugena, Atalya, Amis, Marvita, ShaRaun, Nikeysha, Brittany, Lauren-Brie, Sundai, Chantal, CariDee, Melrose, Saleisha, Whitney, McKey, Teyona, Nijah, Kortnie, London, Clark, Levi-Nance, Fo, Aminat (with a hard NAT), Krista, Raina, Brenda, Alasia, Angelea, Anslee, Terra, Rhianna, Lexie, Kacey, Kendal, Chelsey and Esther.

I would nevr remember their name if I met someone called any of the above..
  • Options
    Shady123Shady123 Posts: 4,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Siobhan?

That was my sisters name.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that Nigel Lawson must have had a very big ego to lumber his daughter with the hideous name, Nigella! :eek:

Nigella is the name of a flower.

It's all down to fashion. I never would have thought names like Millie, Amelia, Maisie, Molly, Flora would come back, they were so old fashioned in the 60s.

I hate Kelly, Keeley etc. And made-up names with lots of vowels.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ajman wrote: »
    Fagina
    Đirona wrote: »
    i actually met someone with that name, thought she was making it up. really shouldn't have laughed as much as i did!:o

You can't even shorten it to "****" or "fagi" :eek:

(although I suppose you could call her Gina)
  • Options
    rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madge
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Brenda and Esther are the only ones I've ever heard people called in real life.
    Though I suppose in America they have a lot of names from other countries that I know naff all about.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Brooklyn (which should IMO be a female name). Or any naming after the place of conception.

Jesus wept, I'd be called Bishops Stortford :eek:
    Chlamydia.

We'd already had that.
    shirlt9 wrote: »
    Our Russian soft drinks saleswoman

Olga Dropusabottleopopoff

She must be the wife of the guy who wrote the novel "Russian Rupture" ~ I. Kikabollokov :cool:

Worst girl's names ~ Ada, Enid, Edith, Georgina, Jean, Harriet, Gloria & many other old names used decades ago.
  • Options
    kjh84kjh84 Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nigella is the name of a flower.

It's all down to fashion. I never would have thought names like Millie, Amelia, Maisie, Molly, Flora would come back, they were so old fashioned in the 60s.

I hate Kelly, Keeley etc. And made-up names with lots of vowels.

That's my name :cry:

I'm not keen on Pam, Joyce, or Michelle
  • Options
    *weeschmoo**weeschmoo* Posts: 9,713
    Forum Member
    I think Esther is a cool name.

If I had a daughter - which I won't cause I am not allowed - banned:mad: I would call her Esther or Nellie or maybe Celeste, after Celeste Holm, you know....Elizabeth Imbrie from Duluth.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Gertie, Gladys, Olga, Enid, Eunice, Fanny, Bertha are some awful names from years ago.

Olga is an alright name but the rest I think are very old fashioned.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,807
    Forum Member
    Many babies born at the beginning the 20th century were christened Queenie, as a tribute to Queen Victoria who died in 1901.

Yeah, awful. His other daughter was named Thomasina, she died of breast cancer. She also has another sister called Horaitia.
  • Options
    Lola UKLola UK Posts: 3,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think names like Honey and Pixie are deadful.. Imagine when the child is older and trying to get a job, they wont be taken seriously at all!! (I wouldn't take them seriously anyway.)

It's just cruel. When I have a daughter I'm going to name her something practical like Alexandra, Alice or Emilia
  • Options
    SubrosaSubrosa Posts: 3,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charisma.
  • Options
    rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Siobhan?

Your knickers your mums coming!
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite common in years gone by for female babies to be named after male family members.

Thomasina
    Donaldina

The shortened Ina being the common usage name for the poor lassies.
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to work with a girl called Tuesday
  • Options
    Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haha. my name has not been mentioned. :D

Siobhan is a nice name imo. Well, it's ok. I wouldn't call it the worst. except when people prenounce it, shervorn.
  • Options
    quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed, - although I like Esther.
    So many 'modern' names, spelt in so many odd ways I feel sorry for the teachers who have to remember them, spell them right and call them out day after day.
    I did a double take recently when a mother called out to her child 'Beyonce, come here' .....
    I personally hate Susan, Sally and Wendy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite common in years gone by for female babies to be named after male family members.

Thomasina
    Donaldina

The shortened Ina being the common usage name for the poor lassies.

Yeh I know someone who is

Williamima. shortened to Wilma. :p
  • Options
    Joanne yyJoanne yy Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kylie :p or Chardonnay (not sure if that is a real name)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    quatro wrote: »
    Agreed, - although I like Esther.
    So many 'modern' names, spelt in so many odd ways I feel sorry for the teachers who have to remember them, spell them right and call them out day after day.
    I did a double take recently when a mother called out to her child 'Beyonce, come here' .....
    I personally hate Susan, Sally and Wendy

I heard that the name Wendy was actualy made up by the author of Peter Pan.
  • Options
    Mike HawkeMike Hawke Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    I used to work with a girl called Tuesday

I quite like that, even though it reminds me of Gayle Tuesday.