Karen Barber

Cameron_LeeCameron_Lee Posts: 92
Forum Member
Does anybody feel that she overmarks the contestants , on average her scores are 0.5 higher than the rest of the panel, totally biased having the coach on the panel, may as well just have T&D on the panel at least they're more highly esteemed in the ice skating world than Karen Barber

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The real question is does Ashley and Jason undermark.
  • gemsmummygemsmummy Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimthepig wrote: »
    The real question is does Ashley and Jason undermark.

I don't think they do. They are looking at it at a completely different angle to Robin and Karen. Karen wants all her puppies to do well, so will score more than the other judges, dos'nt mean she is right. Jason was right when he said she should have stayed a coach, she is biased.
  • nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anybody feel that she overmarks the contestants , on average her scores are 0.5 higher than the rest of the panel, totally biased having the coach on the panel, may as well just have T&D on the panel at least they're more highly esteemed in the ice skating world than Karen Barber

No. Her marks are generally 0.5 higher than Robin i.e. despite being slightly higher she is placing each celebrity in exactly the same order of merit as Robin is. Accordingly, unless you are prepared to accuse Robin of bias also you cannot accuse Karen of bias and make it stick.

T&D might be more highly esteemed but Karen was still one half of a world class ice dance pairing. She just had the misfortune to be competing against T&D.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she generally gets the order right for the contestants which is the main thing & she differentiates enough between the stronger & weaker skaters. I can live with an overmark of 0.5.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Providing Karen gives marks that reflect the performances so that the best gets the highest, and the weakest gets the lowest marks, and everyone else in relation in between, it doesn't make any difference if she marks higher than the other judges.

As for Ashley & Jason giving lower marks, unlike Karen and Robin who are judging the skating technique, they are simply judging how a celeb performs.... 2 different aspects. Beth, for example, did a fantastic skate last night, but her face was largely deadpan and there was very little "performance", so lower marks from A&J than K&R.

[On the subject of Beth, I think if for one week she had a slightly easier routine, she could really bring out the performance and prove a great all-rounder].
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,149
    Forum Member
    kaycee wrote: »
    Providing Karen gives marks that reflect the performances so that the best gets the highest, and the weakest gets the lowest marks, and everyone else in relation in between, it doesn't make any difference if she marks higher than the other judges.

As for Ashley & Jason giving lower marks, unlike Karen and Robin who are judging the skating technique, they are simply judging how a celeb performs.... 2 different aspects. Beth, for example, did a fantastic skate last night, but her face was largely deadpan and there was very little "performance", so lower marks from A&J than K&R.

[On the subject of Beth, I think if for one week she had a slightly easier routine, she could really bring out the performance and prove a great all-rounder].

I agree about Beth being able to do a really good performance given the right routine. I wasn't impressed much by the routines on the whole last night. I think it was a mistake putting the headbanger in for a romantic theme.
  • *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree about Beth being able to do a really good performance given the right routine. I wasn't impressed much by the routines on the whole last night. I think it was a mistake putting the headbanger in for a romantic theme.

I think it may have been because of the song 'We found love in a hopeless place' by Rihanna which in the video depicts a turbulent relationship - not very romantic I agree but I think they probably put the headbanger in to reflect the music and lyrics.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree. To be honest, I'd rather they dropped the headbanger altogether, I hate it.
  • jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To go back to the original question, all the judges (mostly) give scores relative to themselves/each other. In other words, Karen mostly marks .5 above Robin, Ashley marks between .5 and 1.0 below Robin and Jason marks between .5 and 1.0 below Ashley. Very rarely has it strayed much beyond that variance (or close to it) this series, therefore all the judges are marking fairly relative to themselves - which is all that matters on the night, when all is said and done.

Whilst people might disagree on the finer points of the marking process, at least if the judges are marking mostly relative to themselves (which they are) then it's fair marking overall?
  • Gordon ClownGordon Clown Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Karen just copies Robins mark and adds 0.5
  • Mrs FinkelsteinMrs Finkelstein Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    I think she generally gets the order right for the contestants which is the main thing & she differentiates enough between the stronger & weaker skaters. I can live with an overmark of 0.5.
    kaycee wrote: »

Pretty much how I feel. Karen's marks are generally pretty fair and similar to Robin's. Whilst she is the 'nice' judge, she does point out their faults and ranks the skaters in the order they should be.