Options

Time for some New Judges

I think after this series the BBC should seriously consider changing the judging panel. I've always been a fan of Len and Craig and Darcey but this with the exception of Bruno, they have all been terrible. When the series started and James Jordan was constantly wittering on twitter I thought he should just shut up. However the last few weeks I've been reading his scores for the dances and comments and he is spot on, the judges have been crap.

Obviously this has been brought on by the disgusting decision of the Head Judge of a dancing competition to send home the best dancer. However it is not just that (for which personally I would have sacked Len and Darcey on the spot). All the judges are completely inconsistent and incoherent with their marking and comments. Judy Murray was given 5 and 6s and then Caroline and Simon would get a 7 which is basically stating that Judy's dance was only 1 or 2 points less than Judy. Equally Craig gave Judy a 4 for her VW and Jake a 5 for his AT and there is NO way that there was only 1 point difference. Darc, Len and Bruno seem to be scared to use any panel under 5, which seems ridiculous. Basically we have two ends of the spectrum Craig (overly harsh), Len, Bruno and Darcey (Overly generous). There is also been clear favourites. Finally some Dance Off's they save people who are good generally other times it's down to the one dance, so which is it? They are inconsistent, incoherent and have all been pretty crap this series. Would like to see the likes of Karen Hardy and Ian Waite replace some of them!

Comments

• Options
    David JamesDavid James Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    The biggest issue is the way the BBC convert judge individual scores to Victory Points. This week, based on the combined scores they gave them 6,5,4,4,4,3 whereas mathematically it should be 6,5,3,3,3,1. This mathematical nonsense actually biases the scoring towards the lowest ranked dancers, hence Pixie's demise and a lifeline for Mark.
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    No as annoying as they can be the show would fall apart with out them.
  • Options
    davegolddavegold Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a fan of Pixie and I can say that in my honest opinion, there was very little between her and Simon this week and the vote could have gone either way. There was no disgusting decision. No blatant unfairness. It is sad to see her go.

Could and should the judges be more consistent? Yes. Even if they were more consistent the fickle public would still claim it is unfair when their favorite leaves the competition. They can't satisfy everyone's biased perspectives. The public can solve their own problems by voting for the best celeb instead of leaving it down to the judges.
  • Options
    Joseph_WheatleyJoseph_Wheatley Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    No as annoying as they can be the show would fall apart with out them.

Did it fall apart when Arlene Phillips left or Brucie?

No-one is bigger than the show, golden rule of television
  • Options
    Forum Member
    davegold wrote: »
    I'm a fan of Pixie and I can say that in my honest opinion, there was very little between her and Simon this week and the vote could have gone either way. There was no disgusting decision. No blatant unfairness. It is sad to see her go.

Could and should the judges be more consistent? Yes. Even if they were more consistent the fickle public would still claim it is unfair when their favorite leaves the competition. They can't satisfy everyone's biased perspectives. The public can solve their own problems by voting for the best celeb instead of leaving it down to the judges.

Sorry but I don't agree, Pixie wasn't necessarily my favorite but she was leaps and bounds above Simon and as I said this thread wasn't based on that one decision it was on the whole series, so don't patronize me and state "fickle public" as if your above that! - You yourself are a member of the fickle public.
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Did it fall apart when Arlene Phillips left or Brucie?

No-one is bigger than the show, golden rule of television

Arlene left after 4 years Craig, Len and Bruno have been on the show for a decade. They are the heart and soul of Strictly and if they left and new guys replaced them the public just wouldn't be as in to them and the show would lose ratings.
  • Options
    plankwalkerplankwalker Posts: 6,702
    Forum Member
    Pixie is the Best Dancer and now was the Best Dancer. A real shame. The moment Darcy surprisingly voted for Simon, it seemed inevitable that Len would find some reason to put Pixie down. Was it Pixie's partner earlier and Len slapping him down, something about I can give you a 6 as easy as a 9 if I feel like it? or are we seeing a touch of X Factor here?

Simon has come on well, but Pixie is the better Dancer. The Dance Off should have had different couples for sure.
  • Options
    SwanGirlSwanGirl Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's time that they brought in a former SCD pro, I've wanted to see that for years and was hoping once Alesha left that they'd replace her with someone like Karen Hardy or Ian Waite but no such luck! They've freshened up the presenting so it's time for them to freshen up the judging panel as well!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    The judges are directed by the producers and the story arc of each series is scripted as much as the producers can possibly control it, so if you change the judges you might get a different style of delivery but it won't affect the outcomes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    Arlene left after 4 years Craig, Len and Bruno have been on the show for a decade. They are the heart and soul of Strictly and if they left and new guys replaced them the public just wouldn't be as in to them and the show would lose ratings.

Firstly Arlene left after 6 years (series) not 4, know your strictly! Secondly I don't disagree that they aren't great but I'll say again - no-one is bigger than the show! X Factor carried on without Simon Cowell and Cheryl and Sharon Osbourne etc Strictly has survived without Bruce, so the evidence suggests that it would be different put people adapt. No-one is irreplaceable.
  • Options
    Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pixie is the Best Dancer and now was the Best Dancer. A real shame. The moment Darcy surprisingly voted for Simon, it seemed inevitable that Len would find some reason to put Pixie down. Was it Pixie's partner earlier and Len slapping him down, something about I can give you a 6 as easy as a 9 if I feel like it? or are we seeing a touch of X Factor here?

Simon has come on well, but Pixie is the better Dancer. The Dance Off should have had different couples for sure.

From a ballroom and latin point of view, no she wasn't. As someone who had dance training, she did a good job and her showmanship and Trents choreo covered her flaws in previous weeks
    .In the DO, Simon did a better job with his AS than Pixie did with her CCC.
    It was obvious to me that Darcy has always liked Pixie, she liked her balletic style, but as a professional judge, she had to go with what she saw. There was no reason for Len to find a reason to put Pixie down, sadly she made it easy with her lack of technique. As a dancer, I am always watching how the legs and feet work (or don;t) and right from the start, for this comp, this was always Pixies problem. She isn;t alone there, but she was in the DO and was exposed against someone that did their dance better.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never rated Darcy at all - she can sometimes waffle on inanely, but after last night's debacle she should definitely go. Just as Arlene did, Darcy often leered over the guys and she could be nauseating like that. I liked Simon but Pixie should have stayed last night - I thought she'd taken on board the comments about her legs and they were actually better in the dance off - the timing of her isolations to the music had improved too. The show has lost a bit of quality now Pixie has gone.
  • Options
    Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    Never rated Darcy at all - she can sometimes waffle on inanely, but after last night's debacle she should definitely go. Just as Arlene did, Darcy often leered over the guys and she could be nauseating like that. I liked Simon but Pixie should have stayed last night - I thought she'd taken on board the comments about her legs and they were actually better in the dance off - the timing of her isolations to the music had improved too. The show has lost a bit of quality now Pixie has gone.

Seemed to me the public became too complacent and casual this week, they thought Simon and pixie would be safe and gave mark and Frankie sympathy votes. I think some regular x factor viewers have mucked about with our show one too many times this year with the voting patterns, I can tell distinctively. Think for this week in the run up to the SF I think they'll be a barrage of complaints and people will probably refuse to watch the SF or people just won't care who is in the SF. It all bodes down to pixie not doing the tour. So yes the judges have taken direction from above. :(

Used to love watching len, but recently he's come across as an absolute twit who is on borrowed time and Darcy isn't entertaining enough to be on the show. The only person I'd keep in utter honesty is CRH who although acid tongued you can respect him an awful lot, Bruno I'm not too sure over. :confused:
  • Options
    VintageWhineVintageWhine Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, the show certainly has lost some of its quality. Unfortunately, I think it'll be one of those series in which an obviously less-than-deserving celeb will end up winning (like series 3, series 6 and 7).

Since the judges always base their decisions not only on the quality of the dance-off, but also past performance and promise, I think Len was just dreaming up any excuse to put down Trent. But he wouldn't have been in that position had it not been for Darcy, who has consistently favoured, in this and previous series, the younger male celebs.
  • Options
    nyannienyannie Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    SwanGirl wrote: »
    I think it's time that they brought in a former SCD pro, I've wanted to see that for years and was hoping once Alesha left that they'd replace her with someone like Karen Hardy or Ian Waite but no such luck! They've freshened up the presenting so it's time for them to freshen up the judging panel as well!

I agree - they could also bring in Matthew Cutler or Darren Bennett or Lylia. I think they should have 5 judges and avoid Len having the deciding vote. I believe this would make it fairer so that a really good dancer won't be lost.
  • Options
    nyannienyannie Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    Yes, the show certainly has lost some of its quality. Unfortunately, I think it'll be one of those series in which an obviously less-than-deserving celeb will end up winning (like series 3, series 6 and 7).

Since the judges always base their decisions not only on the quality of the dance-off, but also past performance and promise, I think Len was just dreaming up any excuse to put down Trent. But he wouldn't have been in that position had it not been for Darcy, who has consistently favoured, in this and previous series, the younger male celebs.

Very good point and I think it strengthens the argument for 5 judges. I have been gradually getting more and more fed up with the gimmicks and themes etc. I've decided to switch off for the rest of this series.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the Judges just fine. Bruno could do with toning it down a notch or ten, but otherwise I like the panel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Obviously this has been brought on by the disgusting decision of the Head Judge of a dancing competition to send home the best dancer. However it is not just that (for which personally I would have sacked Len and Darcey on the spot).

You have your view. Personally I'd have sacked Bruno for voting for the "dancer" and not for the dance-off dance. And only let Craig off because although his scoring is still erratic sometimes it's still way better than any of the others.
    Basically we have two ends of the spectrum Craig (overly harsh), Len, Bruno and Darcey (Overly generous).

Except that probably a good 90% of the time Craig scores one point less than the other three. What do you suggest, half point paddles?
    There have also been clear favourites.

And anti-favourites. Brendan/Sophie were always persistently underscored. Judy's scores didn't reflect the degree of improvement. I also wonder sometimes - as with Sophie - whether it's the celeb or the pro the judges are low-scoring!

What I would like is for an electric shock to be delivered to Len's chair any time he says "You came out and you gave it some".... ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    I would happily ditch Darcie. She brings nothing to the show. To see how vapid she is watch Carrie Ann Inaba on DWTS (US), who is visibly moved by the routines, quite often to the point of tears. Julianne Hough is okay too, though a step down from the other three. At least she knows what she's talking about, and isn't reduced to gushing and fanning herself like a twit.

Craig's a matter of acquired taste. We like that he's tough to please, but his pedantry does grow a touch tiring.
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    I really wouldn't want to see a judge *moved to the point of tears* by a dance. So fake.
  • Options
    Rosie PrimroseRosie Primrose Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    I love the four judges, I wouldn't change a thing.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really wouldn't want to see a judge *moved to the point of tears* by a dance. So fake.

Agree. I find her quite insincere..., it's a blinkin dance after all.;-)
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Trent should have kept his mouth shut.
  • Options
    Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keep Craig as he is the only one who speaks sense and scores properly. Do the other judges have paddles for anything under 5?
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The biggest issue is the way the BBC convert judge individual scores to Victory Points. This week, based on the combined scores they gave them 6,5,4,4,4,3 whereas mathematically it should be 6,5,3,3,3,1. This mathematical nonsense actually biases the scoring towards the lowest ranked dancers, hence Pixie's demise and a lifeline for Mark.

^^^This is accurate and it really bugs me that the BBC do it!