Options

Sinatra at the London Palladium. Anyone going?

MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In the sixties I was a member of the Harold Davidson Organisation (agent) where tickets were available before going on sale to the general public.
Sinatra came up and I wasn't interested. Next time, didn't take them up either and the tickets were selling via The Evening Standard for many times their value. I only lamented my monetary loss.

What the Hell was I thinking? When I see him now on film I can't believe I turned down the opportunity. This from someone who skived off from work to watch Fred and Ginge films at actual cinemas, singing the songs Sinatra sang later. I was such a fool.
Anyway, I have one ticket for July, the Sinatra family don't seem to have much idea but hope it'll be at least in place by then.
Any one else from here going?

Comments

• Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Why? Has he got a new long-playing record to promote?
  • Options
    babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He died, dear.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been an admirer (amongst many similar artists of that generation) of Sinatra for many years. As a young teenager my introduction to him by a relative, was "In the Wee Small Hours" but I've not liked anything he did beyond, "Songs For Swinging Lovers" and "Come Fly With Me."
    I'm more into his era with Dorsey etc., although a particular album favourite of mine is is "Nice 'n' Easy."
    For many, Sinatra records were an aid to create an intimate environment with a member of the opposite sex. This would be in complete contrast to a show that you've mentioned. I'm sure it will be well received, but not by people with similar tastes to mine.

But thanks for the "heads up" anyway.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mutter wrote: »
    <snip>...the Sinatra family don't seem to have much idea but hope it'll be at least in place by then.
    Any one else from here going?
    The Sinatra family? Idea about what? Hope what'll be in place? :confused::confused:

I think you've deleted the paragraph that explains what you've actually bought a ticket for.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've got a few Sinatra CDs......one of my favourites is the little known 'Watertown' which was probably his biggest flop commercially and is relentlessly depressing....... it isn't one you're going to get up and dance to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAVN4zdjbDg
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I've got a few Sinatra CDs......one of my favourites is the little known 'Watertown' which was probably his biggest flop commercially and is relentlessly depressing....... it isn't one you're going to get up and dance to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAVN4zdjbDg

This was one of those, "you liked it or you hated it albums," personally I thought you could recognise a marked deterioration in the quality of his voice by that date.

He really sounded best with his "emotive" songs. I think he was at his best in the fifties.
    This is my all-time favourite, it's a bonus track on the "Nice 'n' Easy" CD I have.

It was also issued as as 45rpm record and this is it on one of my jukeboxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSh_0UcQR-g
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    I think you've deleted the paragraph that explains what you've actually bought a ticket for.
    It seems to be some kind of enhanced multi-media clips show for which they are cheekily charging live show prices rather than the cinema prices that would be more appropriate.
  • Options
    AudioRebelAudioRebel Posts: 32,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babelogue wrote: »
    He died, dear.

:o Really ?/! When ?? :(
  • Options
    KevinessKeviness Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally read that as Sinitta and shuddered.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Keviness wrote: »
    Totally read that as Sinitta and shuddered.

Me too lol!