Options

What do you want to see on Sky Digital

kevkev Posts: 21,075
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Note :
I have added a 13th idea and expanded some of the original suggestions since I first posted this message.

Here are some suggestions for what I want I want to see on Sky Digital, have you got any additional suggestions or comments on what I want to see?

1. Ability to search though the EPG listings by programme name.
2. Timer (Promised at launch).
3. Personal Planner (Promised at launch).
4. Widescreen switching without going through the menu 16:9 letterbox, 14:9 letterbox, full screen, true widescreen.
5. Direct access to Other channels - possibly using channel numbers 000 to 099.
6. Song titles on "real" radio stations such as "The Mix".
7. A MusicChoice style channel with pictures. (And without MTV style big blocks accross the middle - UK PLAY style accross the bottom would be miles better).
8. Info for programmes on now and next through the scan and search banner - I belive that it would be impossible to list the full schedual in this way.
9. Full 7-Day EPG Listings with a favorites section.
10. Info on movies with video clips and when it will be shown over the next two months - so you can plan to watch a movie when you are not watching another Sky Digital channel.
11. Caller display on the TV SCART output to see whoose on the 'phone when your watching TV and this wouldn't wreck Video recordings via UHF or VCR SCART either.
12. Decent EPG background music - mayby with the ability to choose between HitList, Dance and Oldies
13. VideoPlus numbers in the Info box so that it is easier to program the complecated beast that is the VCR!

[This message has been edited by kev (edited 29 March 2000).]

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    All of that sounds good to me.... but the caller display through the scart - that's a genius idea!

Chances of getting that out of Sky... approaching zero, I suspect.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Bah, I had the Caller Display idea when I wrote the SkyDigital - One Year On article for digiNEWS last year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick// I havn't acctually read that artical but if I can find it I will but I thought of it when I was sorting out my copies of What Satellite and I happened to read a review of a BT Analog Satellite reciver.

I know that some of these Idea's my have been posted by myself or others in either this or the previous forum(s) but I wanted to see what people who are new to the forum and/or Sky Digital thought of these suggestions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    The caller display is an excellent idea, whoever thought of it first.

Item 8. I don't quite understand - don't we already get that?

Item 12. I'm quite happy to use the EPG in silence, the only useful sound to have here would be the previous channel, but I know that this is impossible with the current design.

I would add:
    14. Either put the listings back in the mag, or just scrap the mag completely.

15. More EPG channel categories (or even better, a fully customisable menu).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RE : ITEM 8

At the moment we only get the names of programs on other channels and info on the current channel.
    I meant to add information on what is on other channels e.g. info on a program later on Sky One while you are watching UK Play.

I hope that clears up the confusion
  • Options
    Philip NixonPhilip Nixon Posts: 1,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kev:
    RE : ITEM 8

At the moment we only get the names of programs on other channels and info on the current channel.
    I meant to add information on what is on other channels e.g. info on a program later on Sky One while you are watching UK Play.

I hope that clears up the confusion
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It should be remembered that its all very well calling for info to be added to individual transponders but i can here the cries now when the picture quality drops for channels broadcasting on these as a direct result.
    Its swings and roundabouts add to one takeaway from another
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    11. BT do currently do a Caller Display Set Top Box for that specific reason. I don't see any reason why they couldn't build it into Sky's.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Sorry to bump this I know it is old but I wanted to add something I felt is relevant. OK here goes,

Here are one or two things I'd like to see on Sky:

1). An a-la-carte system like what the cable networks have in the US where you can pick and choose exactly or near to exactly what channels you want and don't want rather than subscribe to packages and get certain channels you'll never watch.

2). For those with a decent Internet connection the option of a cloud based Sky+ recording that you would access the recordings with your Sky account on either your box or three other devices anywhere in the UK.

3). An option to connect to a printer on your wireless network if you have got one so that you can print out programme listing or other information like programme details.

4). 7.1 surround sound support. (I'm pretty sure on satellite there is the bandwidth to support it).

If I can think of any other ideas I will post them on this thread accordingly. :)
  • Options
    Anthony_UKAnthony_UK Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like to see pay-tv and fta SD film channels on Sky given the option to transmit DD+ 5.1 audio bitstreams for free to make the most of Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtracked films that are broadcast, there's enough bandwidth on satellite to make this possible;in fact when Skydigital first came out Sky+ boxes offered a 5.1 DD bitstream on Sky's own SD pay-tv movie channels so home cinema equipped viewers could benefit from the improved sound quality transmitted. :)
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,952
    Forum Member
    I would like to see an option to hide SD versions of HD channels from the EPG to avoid pointless duplication. Alternately, and preferably, I would like to see HD and SD simulcasts allotted the same channel number with you receiving the version appropriate to your subscription.

I'd also like to see more HD channels - CNN, CNBC, Fox News, Al Jazeera, Food Network, Travel Channel, Sony TV, Sony Movies, Movies 24 etc
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Most Wanted HD Channels For Satellite

I hope we don't have to wait long for these though its been really slow year for more HD channels though these I would like the most.
    Or to have On Demand Content from.

Five HD FTV , Channels USA , Spike
    CBS Channels
    Pick TV
    Really TV
    Yesterday Channel
    Challenge
    Quest
    Sony TV , Movies , More Movies
    True ENT , Tru TV
    Horror Channel
    Movies 24
    H2
    ITV Be
    4 Seven
    Drama
  • Options
    MeisterMeister Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    KorgDSS1 wrote: »
    Sorry to bump this I know it is old but I wanted to add something I felt is relevant. OK here goes,

Here are one or two things I'd like to see on Sky:

1). An a-la-carte system like what the cable networks have in the US where you can pick and choose exactly or near to exactly what channels you want and don't want rather than subscribe to packages and get certain channels you'll never watch.

I agree.
    That is the one big thing for me and I mention it every time I speak with Sky on phone or one of those pop up stands in shopping centres.
    Sadly they show little interest.
  • Options
    SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,458
    Forum Member
    Meister wrote: »
    I agree.
    Sadly they show little interest.
    Why should they? Either they offer it at a price that's no-one will pay, or they lose money because people cherry pick just Sky 1, HBO or Fox. Either way it's a lot of hassle for them with no benefit.
  • Options
    simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anthony_UK wrote: »
    I would like to see pay-tv and fta SD film channels on Sky given the option to transmit DD+ 5.1 audio bitstreams for free to make the most of Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtracked films that are broadcast, there's enough bandwidth on satellite to make this possible;in fact when Skydigital first came out Sky+ boxes offered a 5.1 DD bitstream on Sky's own SD pay-tv movie channels so home cinema equipped viewers could benefit from the improved sound quality transmitted. :)
    European broadcasters are already using Dolby Digital Plus audio on their movie channels and have been for some time now. The advantage of the broadcast variant of DD+ is that it is backwardly compatible with standard Dolby Digital, is compatible will all versions of HDMI from 1.1b to 1.4 and will work happily in a 640Kbps bitstream so no special hardware is required from the end user POV, apart from a suitable AV amp of course.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    A small change but i'd like it so that when there is an update available it prompts you instead of just rebooting.

Probably not a problem for most but I tend to be watching and/or recording at 2am when the update usually occurs.

Alternatively or additionally, have a setting for the time for updates to install.
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    programme recamenations like Tivo
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A 15 years old bumped thread. Is this a DS record.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    As the DS forums only went live on March 1st 2000, and the first post in this thread is dated only four weeks later, it must be close to it!
    :)