Depression. What helped you?

124»

Comments

• CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got really bad last year just constant crying all the time & I just couldn't even explain why. Not one certain thing was upsetting me it was just the way I was feeling & I would just go about my daily life but I wasn't really here if that makes sense. Like my mind was elsewhere. My workplace was a big problem & a horrible Manager. I had to take some time off with work related stress but it didn't help me much at all cos when I went back the manager was still being horrible with me. So luckily a former workmate told me about jobs where she was & I changed workplaces in Dec last year & it hasn't been easy but it dragged me out of that hole. I literally felt trapped there & like there was no way out.
    I am definitely much happier & not depressed anymore though I have still had the occasional bad days. I also try & get out more. I see my old workmates for dinners now & again. And also going down to London when I can has helped me. It's my escapism place. Easy & cheap for me to get to. Just spend some time on your own & get away from reality for a bit. Do more things for yourself.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bugger all.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. Trouble is many Drs give you pills that mess your head up, when time and rest would have done the job much better.

Some people have a very good reason for being depressed and yet most Drs treat everyone as though they have a chemical imbalance.

Mine started off as a very good reason to be depressed, but over the years with more and more different pills, side affects from some, with withdrawals for another all going on at the same time. my symptoms became more and more bizarre, until my head was totality messed up.

Drs need to make sure there isnt another reason for the depression, before handing out those pills like sweeties.
    I think you are being a bit unfair about Dr's. Some people who do have clinical depression still think they have a reason to be depressed. Also antidepressants can still help some people short term for being depressed for a reason. Dr's also have a short period to deal with patients so it can be difficult to get it right every time.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you are being a bit unfair about Dr's. Some people who do have clinical depression still think they have a reason to be depressed. Also antidepressants can still help some people short term for being depressed for a reason. Dr's also have a short period to deal with patients so it can be difficult to get it right every time.

I have moved around a lot and seen many Drs some in the same practise.
    Not one Dr has ever said to me.. You know you do have a lot to be depressed about, Maybe we need to work through that.. No, always a prescription for a bigger dose of what isnt working, or for a different pill I have tried before, but "oh it might be different this time"

It takes the same amount of time to refer for therapy, as it does to write out a prescription..

Yes some people find pills help and that is great, but many dont and find they get more and more symptoms over time. Those are the ones that need more practical help not more pills.