Options

Geoffrey Perkins - RIP

tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
Forum Member
Very sad news tonight that TV and Radio Performer/Producer Geoffrey Perkins has died following a car accident.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7589102.stm

Comments

• Options
    rubypuddingrubypudding Posts: 2,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's very sad - I was a great fan of his work.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was the name of that panel game he used to present about 15 years ago?
  • Options
    PeterBPeterB Posts: 9,487
    Forum Member
    tiger2000 wrote: »
    Very sad news tonight that TV and Radio Performer/Producer Geoffrey Perkins has died following a car accident.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7589102.stm

Even the BBC uses the term 'Breaking News'!

All very good comedy programmes.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I remember him from KYTV. That was a classic series.
  • Options
    snossissnossis Posts: 1,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's desperately sad news - I remember illicitly listening to him and Angus Deayton on 'Radio Active' under the covers as a nipper - he was the guiding hand behind so many classic BBC comedies as well.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was a very big fan of Radio Active and KYTV. The man was a genius, very sad news.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My goodness, what a shock. Very sad news. Another of his credits is as producer of the original radio series of Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Both he and Douglas Adams gone at a very young age. :(
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No No No!!!!!!
    :(
  • Options
    ian001ian001 Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm very shocked and saddened to hear this news.
  • Options
    johnnylogicjohnnylogic Posts: 1,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4444 wrote: »
    What was the name of that panel game he used to present about 15 years ago?

If it's the same one I'm thinking of, it was 'Don't Quote Me' for Channel 4.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Just read the news. He was behind many many great comedy programmes. My condolences to his family and friends. RIP
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    very sad news, he was a genuinely lovely and very talented man
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    prkingprking Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    A real driving force in British comedy. His death will leave a big gap that will be hard to fill.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe it. I remember him on KYTV. He always struck me as very droll and laidback. RIP and thanks.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    That's very sad, he was only 55 so quite young :( And what a contribution he made to BBC comedy, eg HitchHikers Guide To the Galaxy and many others.
    RIP :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,796
    Forum Member
    Oh dear, shocking news. A man behind many great comedy shows, Hitch-Hikers, Father Ted, Radio Active, KY TV, various panel games.
    Leaves a big hole in British Comedy:(:cry:
  • Options
    Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,334,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing to add to the above really but wanted to include my condolonces.........didn't think he was as old as 55 even.............really saddened to hear the news..........

I remember feeling similarly flat when Harry Thompson died at such a young age......I often think a lot of these guys don't get the credit they deserve because you don't see them on the screen..........
  • Options
    BillKayBillKay Posts: 6,215
    Forum Member
    Very tragic.

Check out his work here

What a CV :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very sad and unexpected. He was a fine talent spotter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing to add to the above really but wanted to include my condolonces.........didn't think he was as old as 55 even.............really saddened to hear the news..........

I remember feeling similarly flat when Harry Thompson died at such a young age......I often think a lot of these guys don't get the credit they deserve because you don't see them on the screen..........

No disrespect intended but who was Harry Thompson?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,796
    Forum Member
    Neil C wrote: »
    No disrespect intended but who was Harry Thompson?
    A comedy scriptwriter, worked on a lot of panel shows. Most famous for Monkey Dust.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More than just a comedy scriptwriter: Harry Thompson was the first producer of Have I Got News For You, hiring Angus Deayton and the tub of lard.

As for Geoffrey Perkins, he will be sadly missed. Seems like all the great comedy producers are dying before their time.
  • Options
    MarkG6RMarkG6R Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    Graham Linehan, co-writer of Father Ted, has posted a tribute to Geoffrey Perkins on his blog ...

http://whythatsdelightful.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Another very touching tribute from the writer of the successful ITV series, Benidorm,Derren Litten, in the blog on his site www.derrenlitten.com . They underline the influence on and the support given to the writers with whom he worked. Goes a long way to showing why Geoffrey was such an important contributor to the world of TV comedy. What a loss.