Do you care about immigration?

Comments

• jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,547
    Forum Member
    Sallyforth wrote: »
    But the options for answering mean that can't be teased out in the poll.

Perhaps there should have been a "Depends" option!
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is pretty far down my list of priorities, for sure, because I am intelligent enough to see that there are far more pressing issues to deal with like the continued erosion of our economic and social liberties by big government and their corporate cronies.
  • Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is pretty far down my list of priorities, for sure, because I am intelligent enough to see that there are far more pressing issues to deal with like the continued erosion of our economic and social liberties by big government and their corporate cronies.

And also - as has been pointed out time and time again - you don't actually have any immigration to speak of in your neck of the woods other than that pretty Polish girl who works in the coffee shop and has impeccable English.

Simper. Peace and love.
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And also - as has been pointed out time and time again - you don't actually have any immigration to speak of in your neck of the woods other than that pretty Polish girl who works in the coffee shop and has impeccable English.

Simper. Peace and love.

Like Clacton, ukip mp, 3% immigrants.

ETA: the locals in the run up to the by election thought it was up to 80 odd percent.
  • Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »

ETA: the locals in the run up to the by election thought it was up to 80 odd percent.

I take it you're referring to the 2011 census?
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    How further would you like me to quality it? :confused:

It really is as simple as it seems. You either care about immigration and buy into that argument, or you don't..

What does that mean? What argument are we "buying into"?

You could instead have asked about whether the levels are too high, too low or just right. People could answer that question any of those ways and still "care" about immigration or not but we would have some better idea of their opinion on their subject.

I hope you aren't thinking that if people vote Yes in your poll that means they think immigration is too high because it certainly doesn't mean that.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Simper. Peace and love.

And yet we face the very same issues of stretched public services etc as areas with high levels of immigration.

The problem is that the "cradle to the grave" concept was flawed from the very start as the state was never going to be able to sustain it even without immigration.
  • SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    What does that mean? What argument are we "buying into"?

You could instead have asked about whether the levels are too high, too low or just right. People could answer that question any of those ways and still "care" about immigration or not but we would have some better idea of their opinion on their subject.

I hope you aren't thinking that if people vote Yes in your poll that means they think immigration is too high because it certainly doesn't mean that.

Some people might care about quality more or as much as quantity.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people might care about quality more or as much as quantity.

Indeed, the more specific the question the better the poll.
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Simper. Peace and love.

Oh I had that said to me of late "you live in a backwater where everyone is white British".

Which is spectacularly untrue, but that's inconvenient because I don't hate them (well I don't like one of them, but not because he's not WB). So I must be lying. ^_^
  • Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i care about immigration. actually, i care about the levels of immigration. far too high.
  • wordfromthewisewordfromthewise Posts: 2,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I care about the effects of immigration on what I call the gradual erosion of parts of the 'culture' that depend on people being able to speak the same language.

People who are doing jobs that require them to speak English but are trying to muddle through without knowing how to do so.... annoy and frustrate me..not least because I wouldn't dream of going to a country to do a job without enough language to comfortably get me by.

Also I think society requires the regular use of i.e please ,thank you,sorry and excuse me for us all to get along with each other and put simply even though there are plenty of English speakers who have put their use in decline if this degenerates further because of the language issue there will be a reasonable assumption woven into every day life that few people are speaking the same language and nobody will feel the need to bother with niceties because they assume that they wont be understood......hence everyday life becomes markedly less pleasant or communicative.

Not the usual immigration issues but this is the one that impacts me most.
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    I think everyone cares. It's just an argument about the numbers. If immigration was 5 million a year I reckon you'd be hard pushed to find anyone who didn't care.

I disagree. I genuinely don't care how many people come over here. My issues are with companies not being willing to train people on the job and instead either going for people from abroad or offering apprenticeships for menial jobs such as retail, so they can get out of paying the minimum wage. If those things were solved then low skilled immigration would go down without any unachievable government policies on getting numbers down.
  • hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »

Clacton has had, and continues to have, a large influx of Londoners moving to the coast, - many will tell you- to get away from the effects that uncontrolled immigration has had in their former home areas.
    This inturn has affected the way of life of long term local residents who now have problems getting doctors appointments (my last one took 16 days), getting their children into the local school, and lack of local jobs.
    So indirectly many more than 3% have been affected by uncontrolled immigration.
  • KiteviewKiteview Posts: 9,246
    Forum Member
    hatpeg wrote: »
    Clacton has had, and continues to have, a large influx of Londoners moving to the coast

Ahh, so it is Londoners that are the problem. I doubt UKIP will stop Londoners moving to Clacton though. :-)
  • Steve_HolmesSteve_Holmes Posts: 3,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    I disagree. I genuinely don't care how many people come over here. My issues are with companies not being willing to train people on the job and instead either going for people from abroad or offering apprenticeships for menial jobs such as retail, so they can get out of paying the minimum wage. If those things were solved then low skilled immigration would go down without any unachievable government policies on getting numbers down.

Companies don't have to train people when there is a ready made supply available.
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I care about the effects of immigration on what I call the gradual erosion of parts of the 'culture' that depend on people being able to speak the same language.

People who are doing jobs that require them to speak English but are trying to muddle through without knowing how to do so.... annoy and frustrate me..not least because I wouldn't dream of going to a country to do a job without enough language to comfortably get me by.

Also I think society requires the regular use of i.e please ,thank you,sorry and excuse me for us all to get along with each other and put simply even though there are plenty of English speakers who have put their use in decline if this degenerates further because of the language issue there will be a reasonable assumption woven into every day life that few people are speaking the same language and nobody will feel the need to bother with niceties because they assume that they wont be understood......hence everyday life becomes markedly less pleasant or communicative.

Not the usual immigration issues but this is the one that impacts me most.
    Statistically poor immigrant children are better educated than poor British kids. The erosion of good manners is due to many factors, the americanisation of our culture, the internet, not just immigrants!
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Companies don't have to train people when there is a ready made supply available.

Then the companies making that choice are to blame.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    But that wasn't the question.

You are correct. It was not the question. What you quoted was my answer to the question.
  • radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I would like to see a GP, any GP within a week...
    Yes. I would to visit the local hospital, well the one a forty mile round trip, that is not in special measures.
    The town enlargement (and mass migration of East europeans) is faster than the NHS can cope with.
    Can't wait for Labour, Liberals or Greens to come knocking...
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member
    bspace wrote: »
    In what way?

What information can a yes/no response elicit unless the question is qualified.

As it stands it's so vague as to be meaningless.

I took it to mean as being an important political issue and it appears to be a priority for the general public as well as with forum members here.

I do not for one moment think it's racist to discuss immigration matters and you can have firm immigration policies that are fair and unbiased and that are based solely on the skills of the would-be immigrant.

This would not have been such a contentious and high profile issue if successive governments had also improved infrastructure and services, e.g. more housing, more school places, to cope with the societal stresses brought on by immigration at the same time as the large scale immigration was going on.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Resonance wrote: »
    I think everyone cares. It's just an argument about the numbers. If immigration was 5 million a year I reckon you'd be hard pushed to find anyone who didn't care.

I agree. I don't see it as a yes/no but more a question of upper limits and policy (what % EU, etc).

The cultural side doesn't interest me at all but the provision of housing and economic equilibrium means that there has to be an upper limit whether that is 30 people per year or 30 million (deliberately wide range not meant to be realistic but simply to indicate the argument). Both are immigration policies (therefore immigration is an issue) but they are a million miles apart.

I'm pro-immigration but still see that there has to be a ceiling, wherever that is.

By absolute definition my vote has to be Yes although I think if the question was phrased slightly differently then I'd be on the other side.

I'm not a UKIP voter.
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But that wasn't the question.

In fairness, the poll question is so vague that SULLA was free to pick which ever aspect of immigration he "cares about"
  • andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. I would like to see a GP, any GP within a week...
    Yes. I would to visit the local hospital, well the one a forty mile round trip, that is not in special measures.
    The town enlargement (and mass migration of East europeans) is faster than the NHS can cope with.
    Can't wait for Labour, Liberals or Greens to come knocking...

And how do you think your local health service will cope without all the immigrants working there?
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doesn't even register as a concern with me, to me immigration is just something they moan about down south