• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Laminate or solid wood flooring.

Carpet smells.
  • WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    Real wood flooring is so much nicer than laminate. Laminate looks stark, wood has a much nicer feel to it. The house we are currently looking to buy has laminate flooring down stairs which I would love to change for real wood at some point. My parents have parquet wood block flooring all downstairs and it's not cold (the previous owners had carpeted the hall and study so it was a nice surprise when they pull the carpet back to find good quality wood flooring underneath).

Another misconception. Laminate flooring isn't necessarily made of plasticky materials. It just means it's been engineered from several layers of material. You can buy laminate flooring made of real wood.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having sex on the floor is a lot more fun when there is carpet down. :p
    |You might have said this as a joke but you're so right! :D
    I can recall one furnished home I rented many years ago had a thin cheap carpet throughout except the front room which had this deep-pile luxurious feeling carpet. It was so comfortable to walk on, especially at the end of a busy/hard day, that it was almost therapeutic.
    Every room in my place now has tiles/vinyl instead except the front room which has a similar type of carpet as the one in the rented home. Laminate flooring isn't bad, but as others have said, you can here every creak and footstep, it's cold and it's uncomfortable to sit/lounge.
    I've had my front room carpet for over 10 years and it's lost some of the deep colour it originally had but it's not something noticeable unless you pick up my sofas! I've had to clean (wash) my carpet a handful of times, which is not unexpected for the time I've had it; it's generally vacuumed on a regularly basis like the rest of my place and looks fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    My best friends parents had a carpeted kitchen.Looking back now its like what the hell?:o:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    My parents have parquet wood block flooring all downstairs
    Much more stylish than a Brazilian, I must say :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    |throughout except the front room which had this deep-pile luxurious feeling carpet. It was so comfortable to walk on, especially at the end of a busy/hard day, that it was almost therapeutic.
    Anyone of a certain age from Sussex here?
    The cinemas used to have an advert for a local carpet shop where this man ignored his girlfriend and laid down stroking a vile early 70s thick pile carpet instead, in what was supposed to be a sensual manner. He was dressed in appalling clothing (velvet loon type jacket and polo neck, I think), and the colours of the ad were so bad he looked dead.
    It ran for years, and one cinema used to run it by request a long time after at late night film showings :D:D
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing to remember if you have dogs. Laminate is very slippy not to much of a problem when the dogs are young, but when they are elderly they find it very hard to get up from laying down and lose a lot of confidence about walking on it.

Also any spilt liquid makes the floor a skating ring. My daughter hurt herself badly by sliping on a drip of water. The kids are always sliding on it.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate laminate, its cold, looks, generally, cheap, uncomfortable and woe betide you ever needing to get access under the floor when the type you have used has become obsolete. Even if you can match it, taking up small sections and replacing is nigh on impossible.

we are currently going from laminate to carpet.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laminate can be fun to do little slides on when you're wearing socks. Other than that I much prefer carpet.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    Laminate can be fun to do little slides on when you're wearing socks. Other than that I much prefer carpet.

i do that :D
  • colin_ansoncolin_anson Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    next door went from carpet to laminate and i can hear them move around the house and when they are going upstairs to bed. very noisy, especially when they argue.

i cant recall hearing the old nieghbours when the house was carpeted:confused:

laminate is maybe nice in the summer but but for winter its got to be carpet
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I had cream carpets throughout and have now replaced downstairs with laminate. Looks much better as the cream didn't stay cream too long with two teenagers and now a dog. We never walked on it with shoes, but it didn't make a blind bit of difference. I love my laminate now, I sweep it everyday with a microfibre handled duster thing and because we've never wore shoes in the house it's not too noisy. I have a big fluffy rug in the living room which makes it seem less cold.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We only have carpet on the stairs and landing.
    Partly brought about by one child being quite allergenic and asthmatic, partly brought about by preference.

Very easy to keep clean - the floor, not the child.

Same. I'd hate to go back to having carpet now.
    Having sex on the floor is a lot more fun when there is carpet down. :p

Rugs serve the same purpose. ;-)
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    I have always had carpets until last year, when I put laminate flooring down.

I love it,looks brilliant,and clean.Carpets always look rank after a few months, in my experience, no matter how well you look after them, the only way to keep them looking good is to never walk on them.
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Same. I'd hate to go back to having carpet now.

Rugs serve the same purpose. ;-)
    They move and slip though.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i hate carpet, i got rid in favour of hard floors about 20 years ago and i`d never go back.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not laminate. Carpet, wood or tiles but not laminate.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Laminate, but we have tiles in the bathrooms and in the kitchen. Carpets are dirty things.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Either carpet or a proper wooden floor (e.g. parquet).

Laminate just looks flimsy and cheap.
  • rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    When did I say cheap laminate?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When did I say cheap laminate?
    Then.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Laminate downstairs, carpets upstairs, Laminate 11 years old and still looking good, makes life so much easier when you have dogs who love to play in water, mud, sand, snow alot eaiser to clean up after them
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Laminate, but we have tiles in the bathrooms and in the kitchen. Carpets are dirty things.

Carpets are not dirty if you look after them, they are warm and cosy and you can lounge on them, and the kids can crawl around on them, we never wear our shoes in the lounge, so the worst thing it gets on it is dog hairs which hoover up quickly.
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    I have always had carpets until last year, when I put laminate flooring down.

I love it,looks brilliant,and clean.Carpets always look rank after a few months, in my experience, no matter how well you look after them, the only way to keep them looking good is to never walk on them.

The trick with carpets is a large rug, we have 2 big rugs in our living room that pretty much cover most of the carpet that doesn't have furniture on it, £60 each with a thick pile, it would have cost a fortune if they were fitted, when they wear out just replace them.

I really hate laminate, it looks plastic and cheap, parquet or real wood would be the only acceptable alternatives for me.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Carpets are not dirty if you look after them, they are warm and cosy and you can lounge on them, and the kids can crawl around on them, we never wear our shoes in the lounge, so the worst thing it gets on it is dog hairs which hoover up quickly.

Agreed. The only people who have dirty carpets are those who don't vacuum and clean them and don't look after them properly.

I really hate laminate, it looks plastic and cheap, parquet or real wood would be the only acceptable alternatives for me.

Yes. Laminate is a (rather obvious) imitation, is clattery and cheap-looking.
    A solidwood floor is nicer, just as a solid oak dovetail-jointed chest of drawers is nicer than a veneered MDF one.