Getting a mix of Channel Five

mrbutt89mrbutt89 Posts: 634
Forum Member
✭✭
Strangely, my 9150T has found all the channels I want, with two exceptions.

Five is coming from Crystal Palace, which it should. But Fiver and Five USA are coming from Tacolneston, with a much weaker signal.

Is it possible just to do a selective manual re-scan to get these two channels replaced with their Crystal Palace equivalents?

Or do I have to go through the whole procedure of deleting every channel and then manually re-scanning all the Crystal Palace frequencies?

(I don't think this question has been asked on the forum yet. If it has, please be gentle with me!)

Comments

• mrbutt89mrbutt89 Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before anyone tells me this, I've just discovered that Five comes from a different Mux than Fiver and Five USA.
    It's MUX A I need to re-scan, but the best signal I can find is 54%, with 0% quality. Looks like I'll have to wait until 2011 to sort this out...
  • Big-lesBig-les Posts: 2,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbutt89 wrote: »
    Before anyone tells me this, I've just discovered that Five comes from a different Mux than Fiver and Five USA.
    It's MUX A I need to re-scan, but the best signal I can find is 54%, with 0% quality. Looks like I'll have to wait until 2011 to sort this out...

Just do a Manual Search, that will sort it out. The other channels carried on the same multiplex as Fiver and Five USA will also be wrong.

The reason for doing a Manual Search is to target the six multiplexes coming only from your preferred transmitter. The UHF channel numbers for your six multiplexes (digital channels) from your preferred transmitter can be obtained from the digitaluk web-site, enter your post code and also tick the "I am in the aerial installation trade" box. Your UHF channel numbers are in the grey columns in the Digital Transmitters section. The compass bearing for the available transmitters at your address are also shown so you can check to see which transmitter your aerial is actually pointing at.

First you need to delete all existing channels.
    Menu > Edit Channels > Edit Channel Lists > Password (0000) and delete all TV channels, note there is a Select All button. Go to Group, select Radio and delete all the radio channels. Press Exit on the remote control and when invited save all the changes.

You will now get a message saying No channels are available……, press OK. You should now be taken to the Installation menu, choose Manual Search. Select the first UHF channel number obtained from the DTG web-site for Channel (actually the order doesn’t matter) and press Search. When the search completes, Save. Select the next UHF channel number for Channel and press Search.....Save. Repeat this for all six UHF channel numbers and to finish press the Exit button. You will now find all your Freeview channels on their correct numbers with none in the 800 range. Good luck.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crystal Palace :-
    C22     C25    C28     C29     C32      C34

Mux 2  Mux 1   Mux B   Mux D   Mux A   Mux C

If you get a good signal strength & quality (quality is the most important - ideally 100% and no wavering up & down), on everything else on CP (especially Mux2 which ITV1 & Five are on), then you shouldn't have a problem with MuxA. Mux2 & MuxA are on relatively low power, but should be OK

Try going into C22 & C32 on the Manual Search page, but don't do the scan, just see what your Signal Strength & Quality are.

If you just have one Mux knocked out on CP, and all others are OK, then the likely culprit is local analogue interference on the same UHF channel. Do you have a Sky box, or a DVD connected to a TV via RF Out? Check the channel this is giving out its signal on, it could be C22 or close. If so, you need to change it.

If your checks on the CP UHF channel numbers all look OK, then delete all TV & Radio channels and mannually tune in to only these UHF nos, ignore the Tacolneston frequencies.

If all else fails, you shouldn't need to wait until DSO. I'm just down the road from you in Hawkwell, and couldn't get CP because of the Rayleigh "hill". I'm pointing at Bluebell Hill, Kent, across the water, and get a perfect picture on all muxes, admittedly with a good aerial. 72% Strength & 100% Quality, consistently.

Rgds.

Les.
  • Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible just to do a selective manual re-scan to get these two channels replaced with their Crystal Palace equivalents?
    Yes it is possible but it is just not worth it...
    It could take as long, or longer, than doing a full delete & rescan as per previous replies PLUS any mistakes and you could get further hastle from the epg, series link and accurate recording.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks everyone for your advice.

I wasn't sure whether deleting all the channels would mean reprogramming all the scheduled recordings. So I tried deleting all the channels which are carried on Mux A and did a manual rescan for that on the CP frequency. It found no channels. I then carried out an automatic scan, and it found most of the Mux A channels, but from Tacolneston again.

I'm just not getting a good enough signal on Mux A from CP (around 50%, 0% quality) to receive any channels from that, which I suppose is why it's decided to go for Tacolneston instead (strength 57%, quality c. 60%), which at least gives me those channels on rare occasions. All the other Mux's are being received from CP without any problem.

I have an old digital receiver for those rare occasions when I want three tuners, and am using the RF out on that. However, I deliberately set that output to channel 69, which is well out of the way of any digital channels I need, and I mostly keep it on low-power standby anyway.

Interestingly, all the neighbouring houses have their aerials pointing towards CP, apart from one, which is pointing towards Tacolneston. We asked the aerial installer about this when he fitted ours, but according to his meter, CP was clearly the best signal for us.

Question: If I delete all channels, will I need to reprogramme all the scheduled recordings?
  • Big-lesBig-les Posts: 2,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Question: If I delete all channels, will I need to reprogramme all the scheduled recordings?

Yes, deleting all channels will delete all your recording schedual.

Are you sure you're scanning the right UHF channel, I make it channel 32 for muxA from CP. 50% signal strength should be adequate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for your advice.

I wasn't sure whether deleting all the channels would mean reprogramming all the scheduled recordings. So I tried deleting all the channels which are carried on Mux A and did a manual rescan for that on the CP frequency. It found no channels. I then carried out an automatic scan, and it found most of the Mux A channels, but from Tacolneston again.

I'm just not getting a good enough signal on Mux A from CP (around 50%, 0% quality) to receive any channels from that, which I suppose is why it's decided to go for Tacolneston instead (strength 57%, quality c. 60%), which at least gives me those channels on rare occasions. All the other Mux's are being received from CP without any problem.

I have an old digital receiver for those rare occasions when I want three tuners, and am using the RF out on that. However, I deliberately set that output to channel 69, which is well out of the way of any digital channels I need, and I mostly keep it on low-power standby anyway.

Interestingly, all the neighbouring houses have their aerials pointing towards CP, apart from one, which is pointing towards Tacolneston. We asked the aerial installer about this when he fitted ours, but according to his meter, CP was clearly the best signal for us.

As in my post #4, if you are getting all the other muxes OK, you shouldn't have a prob with MuxA. It is relatively low power on CP, but the same as Mux2 which you say is OK. So, have you investigated local analogue interference on this channel (32) ? Others may be DECT phones, Wireless Router, Mobile Phones, etc.

To answer your question, deleting channels, or a default settings will both delete your recording schedules, but not affect your recorded programmes stored on your HDD.

Rgds.

Les.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    savvy wrote: »
    To answer your question, deleting channels, or a default settings will both delete your recording schedules, but not affect your recorded programmes stored on your HDD.

Rgds.

Les.

That's useful to know. Thanks. (If it is the router or phone causing interference, then I'll just have to put up with it. I'm not planning on changing them, and I can't do without!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's useful to know. Thanks. (If it is the router or phone causing interference, then I'll just have to put up with it. I'm not planning on changing them, and I can't do without!)
    Sometimes just moving them helps. Try switching them off for a few moment when no-one is using them to see if it is them, or not, then you can see whether it's worth the effort of moving them if it improves things.

Rgds.

Les.