15678911»

Comments

• Options
    Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    I'm afraid it's called evolution.

'Would have' becomes 'would've' becomes 'would of'.

Not that i'm defending it but that's what it is, sadly.

I can see the logic in that, but would still be genuinely baffled by it if it were the case, on the basis that the contraction is clearly taught to folk throughout their schooling! When I hear colleagues aged 30+ coming out with the erroneous 'of' at work (admittedly there are only a couple who do it), I can only assume then that they have just forgotten their education!! :eek:
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    Is it Newcastle or Newcastle ?

The Newcastle pronunciation seems to have emerged from nowhere in the past 10 years or so. I never heard anyone pronounce it that way before.

I'd say it was the first one for me.
  • Options
    IRITALIAIRITALIA Posts: 6,508
    Forum Member
    Not sure if it has been mention but Tagliatelle.
    Most of the TV chefs mispronounce it and if they are going to cook it in front of millions they should know how to say it. :p
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    The habit of importing foreign pronunciations of brand names irks me. Clarkson on Top Gear saying Porscher for what every schoolboy of my acquaintance grew up calling a Porsche is bad enough; we're now to refer to Skoda as Shkodah apparently.

And add the use of the word 'get' to the pile. My elder son does it endlessly - can I get a shower, can I get a lift, can I get a yoghurt...

Aks for ask.
    Barth, parth, glarss, parstah - does my head in.

And omitting the definite article from dates; it's July sixth and on the show today...; coming to a cinema near you July 10th. Gaah. It's July the sixth, July the tenth.
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,290
    Forum Member
    Droring and "main-tain-ance"

Drawing and maintenance.

Apologies to those who are indigenous to the area but so-called "Estuary English" gets my goat.

Mainly due to the inability to pronounce the letter 'L'.

As in, for example, "another brick in the waw'
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    The habit of importing foreign And omitting the definite article from dates; it's July sixth and on the show today...; coming to a cinema near you July 10th. Gaah. It's July the sixth, July the tenth.

Even worse the Americanism of missing "th" off the dates,i.e. July six. :mad:
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not been through all 11 pages but for me it's people who say

Sked du al

instead

shed u al
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    IRITALIA wrote: »
    Not sure if it has been mention but Tagliatelle.
    Most of the TV chefs mispronounce it and if they are going to cook it in front of millions they should know how to say it. :p

Of course, it's a silent G. Something that only you, me, my mum, my nan and my sister seem to realise (my nan's Italian).
  • Options
    Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    of, of of OF OF!!! in place of 'have'!!! AAAAAAAAAARGGHHH!!!!! Where do people pick this up from?? Does someone deliberately teach it to them as an act of sabotage or something?? :mad: :mad: :mad:

This came immediately to mind for me.:mad:
  • Options
    alycidonalycidon Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I said in an earlier post that the word 'get' should be avoided if at all possible. So another one that really annoys me is the American originated 'just got' - as in

Car insurance just got cheaper!

Congratulations to the OP - this has been an interesting thread - and I am glad to know that there are plenty of others who abhor the incorrect use of language. :)
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alycidon wrote: »
    I said in an earlier post that the word 'get' should be avoided if at all possible. So another one that really annoys me is the American originated 'just got' - as in

Car insurance just got cheaper!

Congratulations to the OP - this has been an interesting thread - and I am glad to know that there are plenty of others who abhor the incorrect use of language. :)

Yep. It's enlightening how many of us Brits criticize the Americans when they are the ones which have kept faithful to the English language and it's us that have changed.